Oh Star, Where Art Thou

3 minutes ago, WideNine said:

As much as I really like Milano's play, he was not tearing it up as a run stopper either. The Bills have been suspect all year - just look at our red zone stops when teams just run it down our throats. Milano is a guy who can play all over the field and who has great ball instincts, but if a blocker gets hands on him it is over. NE just decided to run the ball period - not just in the red zone.

We need another space eater and that isn't Phillips - seems more in the penetrating mold like Kyle, but his feet need to grow a heck of a lot more before he fills those shoes. After that, they need to move Edmunds (who seemed to skip the basic classes of reading his triangle keys) outside and get a linebacker through FA or draft that can play the middle and has a nose for the ball. Do those two things and grandpa noodle-arm in NE wont be able to rely on running the ball at will like they did to us on Sunday.

I like our pass defense, and for the most part it is the reason our defense is rated so highly. That being said, I saw a lot of whiffs by our safeties and corners on the edges where they should have had contain on NE's RB. Those secondary starters (a lot of them did not start the year as starters) need some coaching up on taking good angles, forcing a runner to change direction, and gang tacking.

Get the right personnel and go back to the basics of reading, reacting, and execution.

Milano occasionally gets eaten up against the run once engaged with a blocker, but he's also one of the few guys capable of making TFL's and creating big plays. I'm not as concerned with our LB play as I am with the front four. If it were up to me, we'd move Edmunds outside(as you said) and bring in a run stuffing MLB. I'd also make one heavy investment in an impact defensive lineman.

The RZ defense isn't quite as simple as teams running the ball down our throats IMO. We just don't have enough guys that come up with that TFL or sack to put the offense in negative down and distance. Edmunds could be that guy on the outside, but I'd also like to see them add one true stud. I'm not of the belief that the defense is "fine."

27 minutes ago, Spiderweb said:

Star is no Ted Washington who was one of the best nose tackles to play the game. Yet, he was still a player who did his job against the Pats and it was the remaining DLine and LBs who played horribly. He's not the type to make splash plays but he has been effective even if this board fails to see it.

That was tongue in cheek above, as I'm sure you caught. I said I'd defer to better football minds if Star is doing anything because I really can't tell otherwise. Unless he looks like the greats at the position Vince Wilfork or Ted Washington or Pat Williams where they look like hog monsters.

My apprehension is we apparently signed DL intended for high usage for a lot of money when the Panthers didn't feel that way at all marginalizing his snaps more and more. was rotated in for 40% IIRC when last playing for the Panthers.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I guess Star has had an impact but $10 million for DT who makes no impact players is a bad use of salary cap.  If we ever become good, he probably won’t be on the team then.  Luckily, we don’t have many good players to pay!

Honestly when do we need to save cap for re-signing our talent? Feels like it won't be for like 3 years we re-sign a great pickup for big money. Whichever of White, Poyer, Hyde, or Milano's contracts come up I guess. 

I don't love the idea of having a ton of cap strictly for FAs for 3 years. FAs are much less valuable than a solid re-sign from a good draft IMO.

Makes me wonder if Watkins and Goodwin were a possibility to re-sign.. whatever faults they may have had they'd make a huge difference on building this team. Seems much better to stagger your contracts like that 

Edited by BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

Milano occasionally gets eaten up against the run once engaged with a blocker, but he's also one of the few guys capable of making TFL's and creating big plays. I'm not as concerned with our LB play as I am with the front four. If it were up to me, we'd move Edmunds outside(as you said) and bring in a run stuffing MLB. I'd also make one heavy investment in an impact defensive lineman.

The RZ defense isn't quite as simple as teams running the ball down our throats IMO. We just don't have enough guys that come up with that TFL or sack to put the offense in negative down and distance. Edmunds could be that guy on the outside, but I'd also like to see them add one true stud. I'm not of the belief that the defense is "fine."

I think we are in agreement on the personnel moves. The Bills also lose contain on the edges too, so some coaching or personnel changes need to happen there, or those may become less of an issue when they get some of their starters healthy again. When I say that our RZ defense is caused by our inability to stop the run I am just using the simple math of:

The Bills are rated #1 overall in pass defense.

They drop to 19th in run defense.

In the RZ they drop even further to I believe 29th.

If the Bills could get TFL on running plays they would probably not be 19th overall, but that only happens when the runner is met at the gap or behind the line. Obviously, the Bills front and linebackers are not getting in position or winning those battles (you can't put that all on Star). Our DEs have been a bit undisciplined with the gap control and containing the edges too which forces our first year DBs to come up in run support which can be painful to watch.

When teams have shown run all the way in the Red Zone (2 TE and a FB) the Bills, more often than not, cannot stop them - it may take 2 runs or 3, but teams have been able to drive the ball into the end zone rather consistently - hence I use the term running the ball down our throat.

I am sure there has to be one or two other times where they have made a stop, but I have only seen the Bills defend the run successfully in a red zone series once - and that was in Miami - where Lorax had a TFL, and they then put together a dominant defensive series even then they almost blew it because Jordan Phillips had a brain fart and drew a penalty show boating against his former team.

• Like (+1) 1