Early 1970's Buffalo Radio Hits

Rico

The Free Design, out of Delevan N.Y. had local airplay with ‘Kites Are Fun’.  I seem to remember Stan Roberts promoting the dickens out of the song whenever he would play it.  I remember the song, but had to do a google search for some details.

I also recall the Road getting airplay with a cover version of ‘She’s Not There’.  Not sure of the date for that.

11 hours ago, row_33 said:

Thanks, will give a listen with a better connection.

Which Buffalo AM stations were full time top 40 format back then?

I listened to WKBW, Sandy Beach and Jackson Armstrong. Stopped listening after Shane came in, later came back to radio with Gary Storm’s Oil Of Dog :thumbsup: and then CFNY when I would visit.

• Like (+1) 1

There was also a band called the Druids that had a local hit.  I think it was Doctor Friend.  I think I found it Napster years ago.  The vocals were rather The Who like.

Either the Druids or the Tweeds opened for either the Spoonful or The Who at Melody Fair.  Memories of which seem to be fading.

Edited by Greybeard

21 hours ago, Rico said:

I used to love these 2 back in the day, hadn't heard them in a many many years until I found on Youtube.

Anybody else remember these?

I have this in a folder full of favorite old songs that I go through every once in a while.   I did not know that they singer is from Buffalo.  The song did stick in my memory though.

3 hours ago, Rico said:

I listened to WKBW, Sandy Beach and Jackson Armstrong. Stopped listening after Shane came in, later came back to radio with Gary Storm’s Oil Of Dog :thumbsup: and then CFNY when I would visit.

Thank goodness for CFNY for my high school and undergrad years, helped me make it through living in a place that didn't like CFNY at all

Larry Bird's last year at ISU and his Boston years coincided as well.  :D

-----------------------------------

Here's a 3-hour snippet from 1983 for CFNY, interesting assortment...

https://www.torontomike.com/2015/12/3_hours_of_cfny_from_1983.html

I had a tape from ??? for 90 minutes on New Years Eve, had to be 1982 or so, started out with Todd Rundgren's I'm So Proud to Cool Jerk medley...

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

On 12/27/2018 at 1:38 PM, Rico said:

Oil of Dog was the best...WZRD and CFNY were my favorites.  You know, Gary Storm still has his Oil of Dog show on KSFR out of Santa Fe, New Mexico...Mondays and Tuesdays at midnight!  

https://www.ksfr.org/

Edited by Buftex
  • Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, Buftex said:

Oil of Dog was the best...WZRD and CFNY were my favorites.  You know, Gary Storm still has his Oil of Dog show on KSFR out of Santa Fe, New Mexico...Mondays and Tuesdays at midnight!  

https://www.ksfr.org/

Excellent, thanks! That's a little late for me these days, but I will have to check it out. Music all night long with, nothing, nothing, nothing but love? I hope Kim Fowley's I Hate You is still the theme song. I remember calling him late one night in the pre-Internet days and scooping him when Richard Pryor set himself on fire freebasing, but he wouldn't /couldn't run with the story on-air.