157 years ago Niagara Falls stopped flowing

we should just invade canada so we can get the better falls. Seriously though, our falls is embarassing.

287628[/snapback]

Now there is a goal. We could turn the Canadian city of Niagara Falls into what the American city has become.

i was at the second one in 1969.  Have pictures of me walking around the mostly dry riverbed...coool

287551[/snapback]

Me too - although I was only 5 yrs old and my memory of it is very vague. Was actually looking at some of the pics when I was visiting just this last Xmas.

Great story Labatt.  Does anyone else remember in the late 60's or early 70's when they dammed the Falls to check out the rock erosion--they diverted the water flow to the Horseshoe falls.  I can't remember the exact dates..but I do remember my dad taking me (I was 9 or 10 at the time) and him pointing out that the rocks at the base of the falls were as big as our house......

I see it -- it mentions the 1969 shut off in the same story at the bottom.

287518[/snapback]

Do you have any pics you could post??

Jessie Sharp in kayak (1990) and Robert Overacker in jet ski (1995).

Anyone care to shed some light on why these knuckleheads thought they could make it over the falls? Was beer involved?

288961[/snapback]

Sports Illustrated is selling an extreme sports calendar with the idiot kayaker on the cover! Saw it at the supermarket.