Where do you have to see a game before you die?

I'd like to get to Fenway one day.

287340[/snapback]

I went to Fenway once as a kid. My father lived in the Boston area, and when my brother and I visited him, he took us to a game. We got to meet Jim Rice, a very nice person.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) 1997 Skydome. Roger v. Neagle. Both in contention for the Cy Young award at this point. It was the first interleague game ever at Skydome. Braves won 3-1 Chipper hit a bomb off Roger. The best part was watching Greg Maddux throwing balls against the OF wall in warm ups. A Jones was standing against the wall with his legs spread and Maddux was about 90 feet away and throwing pitch after pitch between his legs and never came close to hitting him. It was awesome.

287320[/snapback]

Love reading these stories, and telling them too. I'll see your Toronto story and raise you one of mine, from the old Exhibition Stadium:

August 1987: A 48-year-old Phil Niekro starts for the Blue Jays against the Oakland A's, whose lineup that day featured Reggie Jackson, Jose Canseco and Mark McGwire. 1,608 lifetime home runs right there.

Niekro didn't get out of the first inning. In fact, he didn't get an OUT in the first inning. He gave up five runs before Jimy Williams came out to get him, amid jeers and catcalls from the audience. It turned out to be his second-to-last start in the major leagues. Ted Turner brought him back to Atlanta a month later so he could retire as a Brave; Niekro went three innings and gave up five more runs before retiring for good.

But again, McGwire -- a rookie that year -- stole the show. The Blue Jays came back to tie the score at 5-all, but in the top of the tenth inning McGwire, who had been stuck on the rookie-record 39 HR for a couple of weeks, hit a ball that just cleared the left field fence to win the game and become the first rookie ever to hit 40 home runs.

2) Silver Stadium early 90's Wings v. Pawtucket. This game was awesome for me because I got Chris Hoiles autograph and some huge guy from Pawtucket gave me one. I couldn't tell who he was from his autograph so I waited until he came up to bat to see who he was. It was Mo Vaughn.

287320[/snapback]

That's awesome. I remember that Hoiles was really good about giving autographs. He signed things for me on five or six occasions. He became one of my favorite players because 1)he was a hell of a catcher and 2) he was really nice to the fans.

Those were good years for the Wings. I also remember wanting Leo Gomez and Chito Martinez to do well with Baltimore. Oh well.

That's awesome. I remember that Hoiles was really good about giving autographs. He signed things for me on five or six occasions. He became one of my favorite players because 1)he was a hell of a catcher and 2) he was really nice to the fans.

Those were good years for the Wings. I also remember wanting Leo Gomez and Chito Martinez to do well with Baltimore. Oh well.

287505[/snapback]

Don't forget Floyd "Sugar Bear" Rayford, although he predated those guys a little bit. Still have great memories of the 1981-era squad, led by Ripken and Mike Boddicker. With the majors on strike that year, it was a great year for baseball in Rochester -- in much the same way that it is for hockey this year.

And I still miss Silver terribly. Nothing like getting a tub of Genny and sitting wherever you wanted in the $3 general admission seats,

I have one of the old wooden box seats (the red ones) from before the 1987 renovation sitting in my office at home. Still smile whenever I see it. Those were the days.

You're not missing much...Fenway is way more impressive.

287517[/snapback]

I strongly disagree. Yankee stadium is amazing! Especially if you go check out monument park. Yankee stadium gets so fuggin loud in big games- its electric. The atmosphere is incredible. Fenway is a classic stadium but its run down and out of date. There are seats with poles right in front of you. Lots of weird angles in that stadium and lots of bad seats where you cant see half the field

Busch Stadium for a World Series game.  I only have one more year left for that, next year the new Busch opens.  I would love to go to opening day there.  It would be really cool.

And anywhere the Bills play in the Super Bowl again :angry:

287570[/snapback]

that's surprising...I thought for sure you would say The Palace of Auburn Hills...

Fenway is a classic stadium but its run down and out of date.  There are seats with poles right in front of you.  Lots of weird angles in that stadium and lots of bad seats where you cant see half the field

287579[/snapback]

Fenway is good, but can't hold a candle to Wrigley. If you are ever in Chicago and the Cubs are in town, do not pass the opportunity up.

BRH- I love reading these stories.

Silver Stadium early 90's Wings v. Pawtucket. This game was awesome for me because I got Chris Hoiles autograph and some huge guy from Pawtucket gave me one. I couldn't tell who he was from his autograph so I waited until he came up to bat to see who he was. It was Mo Vaughn.

I used to have Knothole Gang tickets to Silver Stadium for my kids; they got in free and I paid maybe $3 each for general admission seats for me and the Mrs.

I miss that stadium. Frontier Field is just not the same.

Fenway is good, but can't hold a candle to Wrigley.  If you are ever in Chicago and the Cubs are in town, do not pass the opportunity up.

287588[/snapback]

My sister lives in Wrigleyville two blocks from Wrigley Field. I caught 14 games two summers ago. Nothing like sitting in the bleachers at Wrigley Field for a day game. Best seat in baseball!

I think it would have to be Fenway Park. My son really wants to go there.

We're very lucky to have SBC Park in SF. Besides usually having a pretty decent team, the view, especially in the upper deck, is awesome.

I think it would have to be Fenway Park.  My son really wants to go there.

We're very lucky to have SBC Park in SF.  Besides usually having a pretty decent team, the view, especially in the upper deck, is awesome.

287688[/snapback]

Does Barry's "steriod inflated head" stand out like a sore thumb from the upper deck? :angry:

You're not missing much...Fenway is way more impressive.

I think it's more of a spiritual thing. I remember the first (and only) time I went to Lambeau Field. I was amazed that here was this person, born & raised more than half way around the world would actually be standing in the parking lot and looking up at this old ugly green stadium and "feeling" the ghost of the great Lombardi.

I felt the same way at Wrigley Field.

I want to see a Christian get eaten by a lion in Rome’s Coliseum

285760[/snapback]

Nice. I'd like see a bull spear a matadors shoulders to the wall, the bull stands up on his hind legs, removes one of the swords driven into his spine then cut off those goofy lookin' "mickey mouse" ears from that silly hat the matador is wearing. Just for the sport of it.

From a horizontal position at the foot of Jessica Alba's waterbed covered in a sweet, sticky mixture of--

Wait, I guess I actually wouldnt be watching a game. But it is something I'd like to get around to before I die.

I should return her calls.

:angry: