Haslett admits using steriods

Dan III

Haslett's last year with the Bills was '85 and Hull's first year was '86... and Hull was never over 300lbs that I remember... if he's not talking about Hull, Ed Bouchette should get smacked for throwing his name out there without stating these facts and possibly hurting Hull's chances of making the HOF.

But like Haslett said, he only took them for one offseason and was still a pro-bowl LB without them... IF Hull did take them that first year to make the team, I highly doubt he was using during the SuperBowl run when testing was in place and more strict (and making all his pro-bowls too)

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Kent Hull ever make it up to 300 pounds?  Back then, 300 pound O-line men were not very common.  If memory serves me, Howard Ballard was one of about 10 guys in the leauge, playing over 300 pounds, for a couple of years....

Either way, Haslett is obviously referring to Hull.  If so, Haslett, who I loved as a player, is a bigger a-hole than I even remember.  How catty is that, to say something like that, and give all the details, except the player's name, as if nobody would be able to figure it out...Jerk!  Makes me all that much gladder that he is not the head coach of the Bills.  If the Bills are his "dream team" to coach, dream on!

285526[/snapback]

c'mon - he said that all linemen in that era used them so he's not casting stones. also, if you don't believe that's the truth, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be willing to sell you. hull as i recall was either undrafted or drafted really, really late by the nfl, and i suspect that had something to do with his small size. he did play at over 300 pounds for most of his career in the nfl.

I used to love Haz when he played for the Bills, but he does have a lot of RoidAssh*le in him.

IIRC Haz was a scab replacement player back in the day - for the JESTS no less.

That's when I started losing respect for him.

Hey Haz - :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

285562[/snapback]

I used to love Haz when he played for the Bills, but he does have a lot of RoidAssh*le in him.

IIRC Haz was a scab replacement player back in the day - for the JESTS no less.

That's when I started losing respect for him.

Hey Haz - :I starred in Brokeback Mountain:

285562[/snapback]

um, all he's doing is repeating a truth known to all - that steroid use in the nfl from the late 70s through mid 80s was beyond rampant. he's hardly giving away the secrets of the kingdom ...

I don't see why anyone is shocked by what Haslett said....during the era when he played football, alot of the players took anabolic steroids like they were vitamins.

You may not like what Haslett or Jose Canseco said, but you can't stick your head in the sand and  pretend steroids haven't been used in baseball and football. It's not only ileegal, it's cheating.

And what about hockey? The last NHL bargaining agreement did not allow for any drug testing. And look what happened to John Kordic? If they ever play again, I hope the new agreement allows for testing.

285698[/snapback]

I'm not pretending no one took them. Like I said, the fact that the league started testing for it is enough proof it was an issue. If he had stated it the way you said it - 'the era when he played football, alot of the players took anabolic steroids' - and left it at that, it wouldn't matter.

Naming specific people was wrong; he had no business calling out other players.

c'mon - he said that all linemen in that era used them so he's not casting stones. also, if you don't believe that's the truth, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be willing to sell you.  hull as i recall was either undrafted or drafted really, really late by the nfl, and i suspect that had something to do with his small size. he did play at over 300 pounds for most of his career in the nfl.

285727[/snapback]

c'mon. he could have left out the USFL and the exact year, so he more or less said "Kent Hull".

KH: "Thanks for not mentioning me by name Mr. ASSlett"

c'mon. he could have left out the USFL and the exact year, so he more or less said "Kent Hull".

KH: "Thanks for not mentioning me by name Mr. ASSlett"

285792[/snapback]

Either way. Just by people saying the name Kent Hull now makes it bad enough on Jim Haslett.

Way to go Haz!!

Does anyone remember the game in Jims rookie season when he stepped on

Terry Bradshaw's head!!!! He got thrown out of the game for that. A guy who was really affected by the roids!

Takes alot of balls to call out a guy like Kent Hull.

Why don't you call out your buddy Fred Smerlas!!!

They did everything together....and most likely abused

steroids together!!

Go away Haz.....you are a lousy football coach.

Your 15 mins are up!!!

c'mon - he said that all linemen in that era used them so he's not casting stones. also, if you don't believe that's the truth, there's a bridge in brooklyn i'd be willing to sell you.  hull as i recall was either undrafted or drafted really, really late by the nfl, and i suspect that had something to do with his small size. he did play at over 300 pounds for most of his career in the nfl.

285727[/snapback]

Dave, it would be one thing if he had implicated himself, and then said, everyone was doing it...but he named names, and then was spineless enough to call out Hull, withou giving his name. It was a very crappy thing for him to do...you can bet, if Haslett did them, his buddy Smerlas did them too! He would never say that though, Smerlas has a radio show. Both Haslett and Smerlas were pretty big jerks (but great players) who exhibit all of the things that we usually associate with steroid users now.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much, just speaks volumes about Haslett's character...whether steroids were illeagal or not (they were not illeagal in baseball either, until recently), the whole topic paints a very negative portrait in athletics right now...Haslett is just looking for some attention, so he made his confession (ala Jose) and named names (ala Jose).

Also, you can bet, if Haslett says he took them for one off-season, then he took them longer...

Haslett's last year with the Bills was '85 and Hull's first year was '86... and Hull was never over 300lbs that I remember...  if he's not talking about Hull, Ed Bouchette should get smacked for throwing his name out there without stating these facts and possibly hurting Hull's chances of making the HOF. 

But like Haslett said, he only took them for one offseason and was still a pro-bowl LB without them... IF Hull did take them that first year to make the team, I highly doubt he was using during the SuperBowl run when testing was  in place and more strict (and making all his pro-bowls too)

285704[/snapback]

I may be wrong Mike, but I think that Haslett was unjured in the 1986 pre-season, as a Bill, and was cut later during the season, without having played much (if at all). He was picked up by the Jets as a scab player in 1987, during the player strike...

I will have to pull out the old football cards, but I agree, I don't think anyone on the Bills O-line, other than Howard Ballard, played at 300 pounds or more....that was not very common back in the early 1990's. It was a trend that grew in the late 1990's, after the Cowboys had their run...

Say it ain't so, Kent.  Say it ain't so.

285990[/snapback]

Last night on the WHAM 1180 Smerlas show, he denied ever using steroids, when the conversatoni turned to what was going on in baseball.

Just repeating what I heard.

I'd love to talk to him today!

Last night on the WHAM 1180 Smerlas show, he denied ever using steroids, when the conversatoni turned to what was going on in baseball.

Just repeating what I heard.

I'd love to talk to him today!

286000[/snapback]

Who denied taking steroids, Smerlas or Kent Hull? Smerlas and Haslett were thick as thieves back then, and both had raging tempers...I hate to cast aspersions, but given Hasletts' "confession", I would be pretty surprised if Smerlas hadn't experimented with steroids himeslf...Smerlas played like an out of control animal at times, as did Haslett. Both guys were brawlers, and not very popular amongst their teammates. Just ask Isiah Robertson!

Dave, it would be one thing if he had implicated himself, and then said, everyone was doing it...but he named names, and then was spineless enough to call out Hull, withou giving his name.  It was a very crappy thing for him to do...you can bet, if Haslett did them, his buddy Smerlas did them too!  He would never say that though, Smerlas has a radio show. Both Haslett and Smerlas were pretty big jerks (but great players) who exhibit all of the things that we usually associate with steroid users now.

Ultimately, it doesn't matter much, just speaks volumes about Haslett's character...whether steroids were illeagal or not (they were not illeagal in baseball either, until recently), the whole topic paints a very negative portrait in athletics right now...Haslett is just looking for some attention, so he made his confession (ala Jose) and named names (ala Jose). 

Also, you can bet, if Haslett says he took them for one off-season, then he took them longer...

285975[/snapback]

i guess the more i think about it, i can see people's point about naming hull, but he did it in the context of a generalized accusation of line players in the nfl. i guess part of my reaction is that i truly don't think haslett is accusing hull of anything bad. my take is that it's just a "slice of real life in the nfl" comment. i've always believed that almost every linemen in the late 70s-80s was roided up (and more than that, amphetamined up), yet i still liked football from that era and don't think any less of it now. the games were still just as good, and while i certainly don't condone steroid use or claim that it made for a better game, the game itself was not worse than it was in previous years.

Say it ain't so, Kent.  Say it ain't so.

285990[/snapback]

Hull fires back...

“It’s false, I can tell you that,’’ Hull said from his home in Mississippi. “I hate to hear it. I may have to give him a call.’’

Hull was listed at 275 pounds in 1988, two years after coming to Buffalo, and 284 when he retired.

“I have never weighed 300 pounds in my freaking life, even now when I’m retired,’’ Hull said.

here is the whole story ... http://www.democratandchronicle.com/apps/p...2/1001/BUSINESS

i guess the more i think about it, i can see people's point about naming hull, but he did it in the context of a generalized accusation of line players in the nfl. i guess part of my reaction is that i truly don't think haslett is accusing hull of anything bad.  my take is that it's just a "slice of real life in the nfl" comment. i've always believed that almost every linemen in the late 70s-80s was roided up (and more than that, amphetamined up), yet i still liked football from that era and don't think any less of it now.  the games were still just as good, and while i certainly don't condone steroid use or claim that it made for a better game, the game itself was not worse than it was in previous years.

286194[/snapback]

And I understand that Haslett wasn't really trying to cast Hull or anyone else in a negative light. His intent was to "brag" how the NFL had cleaned up its' act, regarding steroids years ago. He could have just said that, without implicating other players. He could have just mentioned himself, and the implication would have been there about other players from his era.

Haslett has been around the media, and the sports world long enough to know that, whatever his intent was, the sond-bites are what will be repeated and remembered in our ADD society. I suspect that most current NFL fans, unless they were Bills fans, wouldn't even be sure who Kent Hull was, but now they will know nothing about him, other than the fact that the New Orleans Saints head coach said that he was a steroid user. Mo matter that it was 20 years ago, before most even knew what steroids were. Haslett should know much better...he just soiled the reputation of an innocent bystander, IMO!