Flashback: Antowain Smith argument...

SDS

Simon,

I've followed the Bills since (1960!) and lurked a good while before joining. Your point is well taken. I've learned to appreciate the football knowledge on TSW, while discounting the Bledsoe, Henry, Donahoe, etc. haters, who have the need to ventilate on the Board. I just wish there were more of the former and fewer of the latter. Or, maybe I just wish there were more of us who understood (from painful experience) that few issues are black or white.

I just wish there were more of the former and fewer of the latter. Or, maybe I just wish there were more of us who understood (from painful experience) that few issues are black or white.

You're preaching to the choir, mac.

Your point about experience is a relevant one I think. Computers and the 'net are a young person's game and many young folks haven't acquired the experience often necessary to see things on muliple levels or from various perspectives.

Growing up influenced by 80's/90's media and "sports radio" probably put a lot of people at an immediate disadvantage as well.

Poor bastards. :huh:

Cya

I have a vague recollection of the argument/thread and definitely remember Tidewater's brief stay. He got pissed at me and his idea of insulting me was telling me that I talk like Shakespeare.  :huh:

285346[/snapback]

I think it was the iambic pentameter that pissed him off. :lol:

Regardless, the point was that this knucklehead trotted out bogus logic time and again to prove a point that couldn't be proven by his analysis.  Whether Smith was a bust or not is irrelevent.

I wanted to see if anyone remembers that argument.  It lacked the humor of the telephone pole thread, but it applied the same reasoning...

285339[/snapback]

Scott, that is noit fair. The telephone pole post was dead on accurate. The whole dog, ammonia, dogs are passive in New Jersey was proven beyond a reasonable doubt. You are just having revisionist delusions. :huh:

Simon,

I've followed the Bills since (1960!) and lurked a good while before joining. Your point is well taken. I've learned to appreciate the football knowledge on TSW, while discounting the Bledsoe, Henry, Donahoe, etc. haters, who have the need to ventilate on the Board. I just wish there were more of the former and fewer of the latter. Or, maybe I just wish there were more of us who understood (from painful experience) that few issues are black or white.

285373[/snapback]

Bob, thanks. I guess that one thing that comes from age is that not only does your hair turns grey, but the black and white view of the world changes that way as well. It truly takes historical perspective to take the last 4 years and understand why many of us are not ready to start over again with the later day John Rauch, Stew Barber, Hank Bullogh or many of the other incompetents that we have lived through.

We have made our way through cap hell and are serious contenders. Good enough for a life long fan like me. Sorry, if it is not good enough for the got to have it next week fans.

Does anyone recall the knucklehead who was so sure that Smith was going to be a bust based upon some preseason numbers, etc... that he was going to write a term paper about it for stat class?  Then in the face sound argument after sound argument he became beligerent with everyone, and I mean EVERYONE, to the point of absurdity????

It hink he may have been called Tidewater, but I'm not sure.

I was reminided of this knucklehead recently.

285158[/snapback]

On a +ve note, I remember SDS was one of the first saying that Henry would never get us to the promised land as he was not a good blocker and could not break the long one. Most on this board (including me) laughed at that analysis as that year Henry was playing like a warrior and was a savior for an otherwise dismal year. ONly after the emergence of WH did I see the light.

By the way, SDS, the word knucklehead in your note was not responsible for jogging my memory :huh:

Wow man, that goes back to my lurking days.  I believe it was Tidewater -  What a piece of work that guy was.

285301[/snapback]

Yup, same here. Lived in the shadows for quite the while.. the name does ring a bell.

A review of Antowain Smith's career with the Bills indicates he was more right than wrong.  Lasted 4 seasons, rushed for 2,932 yds (ave of 733 yds a season) , not exactly a home run for a 1st round pick.  Released & we got nothing in return.

285166[/snapback]

New England did, Two Super Bowls with him. OUCH, that hurts!! :huh: