Well for better or worse....we pulled the trigger

We have been looking at cars for a couple of months now....and have been looking for either a very good deal on a fully restored or a very inexpensive fixer upper classic mustang or camero.......

We pulled the trigger...and just bought a nearly restored 68 Ford Mustang for $5500. Talked him down from $7000 as we had cash in hand

We had looked at a 65 Ford Mustang for $2800 yesterday....but after adding it up it would have cost just as much to restore it the rest of the way if not more.

It is for my son who wont be able to drive it for another couple of years, I have always wanted a classic muscule car...now I have one.... :blink:

It is for my son who won't be able to drive it for another couple of years :lol:

284986[/snapback]

What is "how I will explain buying a '68 Mustang to my wife"

I'll take "Lame Excuses: for $500, Alex!

:blink::lol::blink:

Enjoy!

We have been looking at cars for a couple of months now....and have been looking for either a very good deal on a fully restored or a very inexpensive fixer upper classic mustang or camero.......

We pulled the trigger...and just bought a nearly restored 68 Ford Mustang for $5500.  Talked him down from $7000 as we had cash in hand

We had looked at a 65 Ford Mustang for $2800 yesterday....but after adding it up it would have cost just as much to restore it the rest of the way if not more.

It is for my son who wont be able to drive it for another couple of years, I have always wanted a classic muscule car...now I have one.... :blink:

284986[/snapback]

What`s in this Muscle car ...Ive built a couple show car`s ...enjoy ...I hope you know what to look for in these car`s..Ive been in the autobody bis for 25yrs and seen some burn job`s

:blink:

What`s in this Muscle car ...Ive built a couple show car`s ...enjoy ...I hope you know what to look for in  these car`s..Ive been in the autobody bis for 25yrs and seen some burn job`s

285047[/snapback]

If I have been burned I will live with it....

I dont think it is anything really too fancy at the moment. Most clear description I can give right now:

- Engine is solid (350 V8)...we brought a mechanic to check it out. The only thing that we could find was that the bearing needed to be repacked. We sent it to a local shop to take care of that.

- No rust

- Interior is in very good condition save for a rip in the drivers side seat. I will get that fixed.

- a couple of small dings (you really have to get up on it to notice) on the body

- Mettalic silver paint job is still in very good condition

- Original rims....needs new tires

- Kenwood sound system installed sounds great.

We pulled the trigger...and just bought a nearly restored 68 Ford Mustang for $5500.  Talked him down from $7000 as we had cash in hand

284986[/snapback]

390 motor? 428 CJ with the 2" valve 406 heads?

Exactly ..350 is a chevy engine.........351 windsor probably ..far from muscle ..a good little cruiser

285077[/snapback]

Not a bad motor. I'm sure it has the Windsor conventional wedge heads from the Canada foundry. A decent manifold, 4BBL, exhaust, re-curved distributor and ignition set-up and by-all-means a new timing chain and water pump should work well.

New ball joints and suspension bushings and shocks and re-torquing of the steering box go without saying... :blink:

It doesn't look cheap....it looks identical to the ads I am seeing on the internet for a lot of money....

I actually was just in the right place at the right tim on this......he needed to sell it and I had cash....

I have been looking at quite a few mustangs over the last few months.....this was easily the best condition so far.

Also....let me point out that I am not a experienced antique car owner and the purpose of the car in the end is a nice car for my son....I just wanted him to have something different then what the other kids would be driving.

Guest BackInDaDay
Not a bad motor. I'm sure it has the Windsor conventional wedge heads from the Canada foundry. A decent manifold, 4BBL, exhaust, re-curved distributor and ignition set-up and by-all-means a new timing chain and water pump should work well.

New ball joints and suspension bushings and shocks and re-torquing of the steering box go without saying... :blink:

285090[/snapback]

Well listen to you... I'm impressed Cincy! :blink:

In my younger days, when I was still a member of the 'wreck a month club', I had a Dragnet '68 Galaxy with only the 289 engine, and baby, could that thing move.

Best of luck with the 'stang, John. I'm sure you've already made all the lectures, but never let him forget what that beast can do.

Well listen to you... I'm impressed Cincy!  :blink:

In my younger days, when I was still a member of the 'wreck a month club', I had a Dragnet '68 Galaxy with only the 289 engine, and baby, could that thing move.

Best of luck with the 'stang, John.  I'm sure you've already made all the lectures, but never let him forget what that beast can do.

285102[/snapback]

Are you kidding? I am going to take him out and SHOW him what it can do!

285090[/snapback]

I`ll stick with the l-s 6 454 chevelle or a Yenko 427 camaro

I`ll stick with the l-s 6  454 chevelle or a Yenko 427 camaro

285109[/snapback]

I used to visit Yenko's dealership now and then when I lived in Pgh. *Would* have liked to have some money in my pockets then. I remember going to Jerry Hamam Ford in NT (or was it NF??). They had two leftover '66 427 Cobra's he would let go for a bit under 6,000, and two '65 GT-350's for peanuts.

He used to run a 289 Cobra at the NF dragstrip next to the airbase, and a '65 Mustang blown nitrro 289 funny car.

An update....mechanic said that the bearings needed to be redone (it was making a loud noise while driving) and the front brakes needed to be redone, but he found a local guy who could do the work right then and there while we got something to eat....did everything for $175.00 Noise is gone.

The owner helped us out big time with the taxes as well.

I used to visit Yenko's dealership now and then when I lived in Pgh.  *Would* have liked to have some money in my pockets then.  I remember going to Jerry Hamam Ford in NT (or was it NF??). They had two leftover '66 427 Cobra's he would let go for a bit under 6,000, and two '65 GT-350's for peanuts.

He used to run a 289 Cobra at the NF dragstrip next to the airbase, and a '65 Mustang blown nitrro 289 funny car.

285124[/snapback]

that my son is some serious muscle...sold my last muscle 5yrs ago a 68 ss camaro that I showed a little..tweaked 350 and a rock-crusher muncy..leman`s blue with a white bumble bee stipe on the nose with a black deluxe int. ..sold it to buy a camp...someday when my youngest is done with sport`s I`ll get something else to tinker with

that my son is some serious muscle...sold my last muscle  5yrs ago a 68 ss camaro that I showed a little..tweaked 350 and a rock-crusher muncy..leman`s blue with a  white bumble bee stipe on the nose with a black deluxe int. ..sold it to buy a camp...someday when my youngest is done with sport`s  I`ll get something else to tinker with

285147[/snapback]

I looked long and hard for a Camero of that type that I could afford.....it was my first choice....people just want a mint for them.

THis mustang is a excellent 2nd option

This one is a coupe

I dont know...it just seems perfect for my liking....the 65 was a big too short....the 69 we looked at was a bit too long....this seems just right....

285148[/snapback]

Great car.....

Lots of repro parts out there,,, start with the 'National Parts Depot' www.npdlink.com

I looked long and hard for a Camero of that type that I could afford.....it was my first choice....people just want a mint for them.

THis mustang is a excellent 2nd option

285150[/snapback]

I`m sure your son will love it...if he can get dad outta that driver`s seat