The Marquee Matchup of Week Nine: LAR (8-0) vs. NO (6-1) - Great Game!!

Who Wins the Game?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins the Game?

LA.png VS. NO.png

NFL.com Game Preview

ESPN Game Preview

Move the Sticks Game Preview (3:22)
Daniel Jeremiah and Bucky Brooks Preview the Marquee Matchup of the Week.

Ultimate Game Previews: Rams at Saints (2:13)
Pete Prisco and Brady Quinn Preview the Rams and Saints in Week 9.

In what should be the marquee game of the NFL season thus far, the Los Angeles Rams and New Orleans Saints will go toe to toe in the Bayou in Week 9. The Rams are the only undefeated team left in the NFL while the Saints are riding a six-game win streak. Oddsmakers have tabbed the Saints as 1.5-point favorites with a total of 60.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

• 26CornerBlitz changed the title to The Marquee Matchup of Week Nine: LAR (8-0) vs. NO (6-1)

First Look: Rams and Saints Set to Meet Atop the NFC

umoaitinnagvxz0gqkmb.jpg

The undefeated Los Angeles Rams will once again take to the road in Week 9 for a meeting against the NFC South-leading New Orleans Saints. The battle of two of the NFC’s best is set to kick off at 1:25 p.m. PDT from the Mercedes-Benz Superdome in New Orleans.

Quotes from Sean Payton's Conference Call - October 30, 2018

New Orleans Saints Head Coach Sean Payton - Conference Call with New Orleans Media - Tuesday, October 30, 2018

That Davenport injury hurts the Saints bigtime.  Kid was playing very well and was a great addition on that d-line.  

Regardless, I fully expect the Saints to hand the Rams their first L of the season.  The Superdome is gonna be rockin and the Saints rarely lose bigtime games at home.  I'll be as bold as to say I dont think its gonna be close.  Saints win this one comfortably....31-17

JMHO

Edited by smuvtalker

Just now, smuvtalker said:

That Davenport injury hurts the Saints bigtime.  Kid was playing very well and was a great addition on that d-line.  

Regardless, I fully expect the Saints to hand the Rams their first L of the season.  The Superdome is gonna be rockin and the Saints rarely lose bigtime games at home.  I'll be as bold as to say I dont think its gonna be close.  Saints win this one comfortably....31-17

Things will be rocking in the dome and that will cause some problems for the Rams offense.  Eli Apple better be on his game because Goff and the Rams will be coming after him.  Can't wait to watch this tilt!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, smuvtalker said:

JMHO

Interesting. Hit on a few of those and you can be the next Colin Cowherd 

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Things will be rocking in the dome and that will cause some problems for the Rams offense.  Eli Apple better be on his game because Goff and the Rams will be coming after him.  Can't wait to watch this tilt!

Indeed!   I cant wait to watch this one.  

Regarding Apple, I agree with you that he's gonna have to step his game up a notch.  I thought he really struggled Sunday vs Minnesota, but I just attributed it to him still adjusting to his new team.  

Aaron Donald is a force of nature.  The guy brings the pain on every single down.  Oh what I would give to have him in a Bills uni...

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, iinii said:

Interesting. Hit on a few of those and you can be the next Colin Cowherd 

Just my two cents lol.  But I feel like the Rams were lucky to get the win vs Green Bay...I think this is the week their luck(and their winning streak)comes to a decisive halt.

Mike Triplett ESPN Staff Writer 

Rookie DE Marcus Davenport wasn't the only big name on New Orleans' injury report. Four others were limited in practice Wednesday: WR Michael Thomas (shoulder), LT Terron Armstead (knee), C Max Unger (elbow) and WR Cameron Meredith (knee). Backup defensive linemen Mitchell Loewen also missed practice with a neck injury. It's too early in the week to tell if any of them are in jeopardy of missing Sunday's game against the Rams or just getting additional rest time.

Sean Payton said the Rams under Sean McVay have become one of the "must-watch" teams when the Saints study what other offenses are doing, both in the offseason and during the season. Payton said they put together a reel of all the touchdowns scored in the NFL every week, and "here's (Todd) Gurley from 28 yards, here's Gurley from 30 yards, here's Gurley catching a screen for a touchdown, here's Gurley (again). He's an outstanding player, both in the running game and passing game, and I think the design, along with his skillset, has been a great fit."

Mike Triplett ESPN Staff Writer
The Saints QB has finished as a runner-up for the regular-season award an astonishing three times. Could 2018 be the season he catches the bouquet?

Lindsey Thiry ESPN 

Dante Fowler is at the Rams' training facility and has passed his physical, Sean McVay said. The Rams will not practice Wednesday, but Fowler will participate in the team's walk-thru and McVay said depending on how quickly he is able to absorb information, will be expected to contribute Sunday against the Saints.

OLB Dante Fowler passed his physical exam and participated in a team walk-thru on Wednesday. Fowler said he already is learning the playbook and that he would be ready to play as fast as possible. "Linebacker is a natural fit for me so it's pretty easy to teach me," Fowler said about the transition into Wade Phillips' 3-4 scheme. DT Aaron Donald said he smiled "from ear-to-ear" after he learned the Rams traded for Fowler. "I'm excited," Donald said. "The help was what we needed, definitely from an edge rusher."

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 hours ago, smuvtalker said:

Just my two cents lol.  But I feel like the Rams were lucky to get the win vs Green Bay...I think this is the week their luck(and their winning streak)comes to a decisive halt.

I went 4-0 on my hot picks last week maybe I should take this under advisement this week. 

Below is the full Wednesday injury report for both teams. Los Angeles’ report is an estimate, as

LOS ANGELES RAMS

LIMITED

WR Cooper Kupp (knee)

OLB Trevon Young (back)

NEW ORLEANS SAINTS

DID NOT PARTICIPATE

DE Mitchell Loewen (neck)

DE Marcus Davenport (toe)

LIMITED

OT Terron Armstead (knee)

WR Michael Thomas (shoulder)

C Max Unger (elbow)

WR Cameron Meredith (knee)

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

By HCR Staff | Nov. 1, 2018

As always, Week 9 presents some interesting matchups in the NFL, particularly when it comes to coaches going up against each other. Each week, Head Coach Ranking presents its exclusive Head 2 Head numbers – comparing the rankings of the coaches that are facing off.

Here are a few matchups to watch:

• The marquee matchup in terms of top-ranked HCR coaches takes place when the undefeated Los Angeles Rams play the Saints in New Orleans. Rams head coach Sean McVay is tied for first in Head Coach Ranking with a grade of 8.3. The Saints’ Sean Payton is third at 7.9.

Pete Prisco's Week 9 Picks: Backs the Saints at Home Against Unbeaten Rams

Rams at Saints (-1.5)

This game will go a long way in deciding home-field advantage in the playoffs in the NFC. The Rams are the last undefeated team and they are winning with their offense. But this is a real challenge on the road in a tough environment. I think Sean Payton and Drew Brees will get the best of Sean McVay and Jared Goff. The Saints will win it.

Pick: Saints 34, Rams 30

Tips for Week 9 NFL picks: Seattle's 12-0 trend, why Bills could cover, teaser of the week and more

Rams at Saints (-1.5)

Home-field advantage: 3 points
Power rating line: Saints -1
Lookahead line: Rams -1.5

LAR NO
Record vs. spread 4-4 5-2
Yards per play differential 0.9 0
Points per drive offense rank 3 2
Points per drive defense rank 11 28
Total DVOA 33.3 12.8
Pass offense DVOA rank 3 4
Pass defense DVOA rank 6 29
Run offense DVOA rank 3 6
Run defense DVOA rank 25 2

Here's an interesting matchup of two elite, well-rounded offenses facing two defenses that play well against one part of the game but struggle immensely against the other. DVOA has less of a problem with the Rams' run defense as passing is an inherently more valuable aspect of offense in this era, but the Saints defense has been playing better as of late. Yards per play sees the Rams with the clear edge, and before Week 8, the look ahead line did too.

For me, I can't get past the fact that we can get points, even if it's not many, taking a team that's undefeated halfway through the season. And this line feels more likely to go up than down, with people just assuming this is the week the Rams lose their first game. But teams don't follow a logical script when it comes to that kind of thing; it's not like they're a lock to beat the Seahawks at home the following week either.

Opposing View: Payton Says Saints Must Limit ‘Explosives’ in Unpredictable Showdown against L.A.

pxrpvbevumutxdkilfz5.jpg

Saints head coach Sean Payton is preparing to face the Rams for the third time in three seasons in Week 9.

In 2016, Payton’s Saints defeated the Rams 49-21 in quarterback Jared Goff’s second-career start. Last season, Goff and the Rams got revenge back home at the L.A. Memorial Coliseum — beating the Saints 26-20. Goff threw for 354 yards in that game, one yard shy of his then-career high, which remained until Week 4 of this season, when Goff threw for 465 yards against the Vikings.