A Notre Dame Fan's Perspective

H2o

This year is not like the previous I have seen in South Bend. After 7 games, and currently watching the 8th, I am continually impressed by various players. There is quite a bit of NFL talent on both sides of the ball. I'm going to talk about a few:

Dexter Williams is as explosive as any RB you will find in the country. He can run between the tackles with power and he can beat pretty much anyone to the edge. He also has good hands as a receiver out of the backfield. At 5'11" and 216lbs he's pretty much got ideal size. It won't surprise me at all if he runs around 4.35 in the 40 yard dash as well. He's had some off the field stuff, but nothing major and has really recommitted to football this year. Would love to see him in a Bills uni next year as he will be in the 2019 draft. With the off the field stuff he will likely be a late day 2 or very early day 3 pick imo, but could really end up being a game changing back for soemone. Edit: After the Navy game where Williams had 23 carries for 142 yards and 3 TD's he's well on his way. On the season he has 74 carries for 512 yards and 7 TD's in just 4 games this year. Edit: Against a tough Northwestern defense Williams only managed 56 yards on 19 carries, adding 1 more TD. Season totals now up to 93 carries for 568 yards and 8 TD's. Edit: Dexter Williams had himself a monster game on Senior Night in South Bend going for 202 yards on 20 carries while adding 2 more TD's to his season total against what was supposed to be a solid run defense of FSU. He's now up to 113 carries for 770 yards and 10 TD's in 6 games. He's easily playing himself into the early day 2 discussion. 

Jerry Tillery is a monster in the middle of that DL. He consistently beats his man on the interior to pressure the QB and disrupt plays. He has 6 sacks through 7 games and never seems to be out of postition. At 6'6" 305lbs he is going to make a great penetrating DT or 3-4 DE for some team. Edit: Tillery had another good performance against Northwestern. He pressured the QB on at least 3 occasions and had a few tackles against the run. He's quietly playing his way into very late Round 1 early day 2 status. 

Julian Okwara is an elite pass rushing talent. He's a little light at 6'4" 245lbs, but he is almost unstoppable coming off of the edge. He only has 2.5 sacks, but is always in the backfield by the QB. I don't think he comes out this year, but in 2020 he has the potential to be a top 10 pick. He reminds me a lot of Leonard Floyd who was drafted by the Bears a couple years ago, but he is already 10lbs heavier and has a better array of moves. Edit: Okwara had another great game. He had at least another 1.5-2 (not sure of the official scoring) sacks and was all over the field pressuring the QB or running down plays on the opposite side of the field. 

Chase Claypool is a big, fast human being. He came in as a TE and has since been moved to WR. Last year he had a problem with drops, but this season he has gotten a lot better with his hands. At 6'4" and 227lbs he is a matchup problem for most DB's. He can beat a Safety deep and most CB's are too small or not physical enough to cover him. Even at that size I bet he runs a sub 4.5 40 yard dash. I expect him to return next year, but a guy to keep an eye on next season and for the 2020 draft. Edit: Claypool put that skillset on display against Northwestern last night. He was a complete mismatch against their DB's tallying 8 catches for 130 yards.

Miles Boykin is another of those big bodied WR's. At 6'4" 228lbs he is another matchup nightmare for DB's. He's not a burner and will probably run a 40 in the mid to high 4.5's, but he's a solid route runner and has hands like glue. He knows how to use his body to shield his man and high points the reception with ease. He also has great balance when running after the catch for a big man. He's another guy I see as a day 2 or early day 3 guy in 2019 who could really make an impact for a team. Edit: After the Navy game in which he fumbled on the first play of the game Boykin did damage in the 2nd half scoring two more TD's and showing the same traits I already laid out. He now has 36 receptions for 570 yards and 6 TD's. He and Book have great chemistry together. Edit: Boykin had 4 catches for 56 yards and a beautiful TD reception in the back of the endzone over two defenders. He's now up to 40 receptions for 626 yards with 7 TD's. Edit: Without Book, Boykin had 4 grabs for 30 yards and another TD against FSU. Season totals are 44 catches for 656 and 8 TD's. 

Julian Love is going to be a starting quality CB in the NFL. He may give up a play here or there, but no big plays for the most part. He seems to always keep his man in front of him or on his hip. Last year as a Sophomore he had 20 passes defensed. This year as a Junior he already has 12 in 7 games. If he keeps improving he could end up being a 1st Round pick in 2020 at best or at worst a day 2 selection as I fully expect him to return for his Senior year. Edit: Julian had another good performance against Northwestern. He locked down his guy all night and had another 4 passes defensed. Edit: Love was a man in coverage again and also provided solid run support against FSU. He had 9 tackles, 5 solo, with one pass defensed. Three of those solo tackles were near the LOS in run support. 

Khalid Kareem is another guy who flashes high level pass rushing talent at DE. He's your more traditional size at 6'4" and 265lbs. He has 5.5 sacks and 9 tfl through 7 games thus far. He is another guy I expect to return for his Senior year in 2019, but watch out for him in the 2020 draft. He could play himself into a late Rd 1, early day 2 pick. Edit: Kareem had a solid game against FSU playing well against the run and pressuring the QB all night. 

Daelin Hayes is another guy who gets after the QB from the DE position. Another He's the 3rd man in the rotation, but this year gets lined up inside as a penetrating DT between Okwara and Tillery. He doesn't have any sacks, but plays the run well and makes plays in the backfield. He too has another year of eligibility left so will not be in the draft until 2020. Edit: Hayes was lined up more on the outside than he had been all season. Playing from the SDE spot he manhandled the RT and was in the QB's face on a number of occasions recording one sack in the process. 

Te'Von Coney is solid at LB. He's got good speed, good instincts, and is a solid tackler. Last year he had 116 total and 11.5 for loss to go with 3 sacks. This year he has 56 through 7 with 5.5 tfl, a sack, and an INT. He will be a late day 2 to mid day 3 pick depending on his combine this year, but the guy can play. Edit: Coney is a guy who's stock is clearly on the rise. He was a monster last night against Northwestern. He had 10 total tackles, 6 solo, 2 sacks, and 1 pass defensed. He's playing himself into early day 2 consideration at OLB. Edit: Coney again showed his NFL caliber talent recording 7 tackles, 6 of them solo, and providing good coverage in his area of the field. 

Drue Tranquill is a special player. He started his career at Safety, but has transitioned to LB the last two. He's battled more adversity injury wise than any player I can remember. Two ACL injuries to opposite sides in consecutive seasons. This year he is the leader of the ND defense at MLB. He's added about 15lbs of muscle and comes in at 6'2" 235lbs. He suffered what looked like a high ankle sprain tonight against Navy, but has been all over the field this season. He's notched 46 tackles through 7 with 6tfl and one sack. He's excellent in coverage as a LB, likely from his time at Safety. The guys just makes plays. He's a day 3 pick, but I have no doubt he'll make an impact even if it's just on ST. Edit: Tranquill played last night when almost no one expected him to a week after getting rolled up from behind. Playing pretty exclusively on 3rd down he still managed 5 solo tackles. Edit: Tranquill is still gutting it out through that ankle injury and came up big again last night. He had 7 tackles, 5 solo, was solid in coverage underneath, and had a huge stop crashing from the outside on a 3rd and goal for FSU from the 2 yard line which led to a 4th down stop as well. 

Alex Bars was the best OL'man, but he has battled injuries including an ACL early this year against Stanford. A complete LG, but durability is an issue. He could have been a 1st Round pick this year, but the injuries will likely push him into mid-late Day 2. 

Sam Mustipher is a good Center. He has versatility and can start anywhere along the interior, but I think Center has been his best fit. He is likely a day 3 pick, but could be a starter before it's all said and done. 

Trevor Rhueland is the starting RG and a solid player. He will be a day 3 pick this year who can serve as depth on the OL and be a spot starter if needed. 

Now to QB Ian Book. This team has been Night and Day since Book took over for Wimbush. He's come in with only one start under his belt previously, a bowl game in which he led ND to a victory with a heroic late game comeback against LSU.  All he has done is complete passes at a 75.1% clip for 1,151 yards with 11 TD's and 3 INT's in 5 starts. He's mobile, smart, has good arm strength, makes quick decisions, and has good ball placement on his throws. Watching him reminds me a lot of Baker Mayfield to be honest. He will be back next year for sure, but if he keeps improving then he will play himself into the 1st Round convo for 2020 as well as Heisman talk in 2019. I have been fooled by ND QB's before in Brady Quinn and Jimmy Clausen, but Book is different. His demeanor and his control of the offense for a guy that is still relatively inexperienced is amazing. Keep an eye on this young man. Edit: After the Navy game Book is now completing 76.5% of his passes with 1,481 yards 14 TD's and 4 INT's in 6 starts. Edit: The legend of Ian Book continues to grow in South Bend and abroad. After a rough first half that saw him go 7/15 for less than 100 yards with no TD's he lit up that Northwestern defense in the 2nd half. In the 2nd half of the game he was 15/19 for 249 yards and 2 perfectly thrown TD passes, one a 47 yard strike to a WR streaking between two defenders and the other a perfect pass into the back of the endzone that Boykin plucked from the air. Even with his heroics through the air, it was his athletic ability and his legs that iced the game late in the 4th on 23 yard TD run. Books numbers were 22/34 for 343 yards with 2 TD's to go along with 11 carries for 56 yards and another TD. This guy is special. Edit: Book was out with an injury against FSU so Brandon Wimbush got the start. Even though ND got a solid victory and Wimbush had a decent game, the difference in QB play was on full display. Without Book ND is going nowhere. 

Alohi Gillman is a guy I should have added long ago, but I am surely putting him on here now. He's a transfer from Navy who has started at Safety this year for Notre Dame and continues to impress. From the first game he was on the field you could see the talent. He's fast, physical, has great instincts, and LOVES to hit people. He's just a Junior and will likely be back next year, but the guy reminds me A LOT of Jordan Poyer the way he plays. He's totalled 68 tackles on the season with 3 TFL and a couple of passes defensed. 

Edited by H2o
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

Update onTranquill’s injury?

From the looks of it, it seemed to be a high ankle sprain. They said it was an ankle sprain, but weren't specific. X-Rays came back negative so that is good. It wasn't a knee either so that is even better. Hopefully he will be back in a couple of weeks with rest and treatment. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Don't be shocked when we lose our DC this offseason.  Defense has been very good, he's worked his way up the right way and he's ready to be a head coach.    Our defense has really impressed me this year.  They never seem surprised by anything, that's solid preparation and good coaching.  The tackling has been much better IMO this year than in the past.    

• Like (+1) 1

Notre Dame knocked off Northwestern @ Northwestern last night 31-21. Northwestern came in riding a 4 game win streak where they had knocked off Michigan St. And Wisconsin in that span. They also had Michigan down 17-0 before Michigan stormed back to win late 20-17.  I have put updates on some of the players after their performance last night. 

Edited by H2o

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

It’s a bad year, almost no great teams and barely any very good ones, tons of good teams though

Alabama and Clemson are great teams imo, clearly a cut above everyone else. It almost seems they are destined for Round 3. I still think ND could win if everyone plays a flawless game, but they'll likely have to do that twice. 

Definitely the most solid ND team top to bottom since the Holtz era.  They’ve answered every challenge, but there are still weaknesses.  In particular they’ve lost too much talent on the OL.

I think they are 50/50 to go 12-0 and reach the playoffs.  They’d be an underdog to Clemson but could beat them. I can’t see them (or anyone) beating Bama.

• Like (+1) 1

On ‎11‎/‎4‎/‎2018 at 2:56 PM, KD in CA said:

Definitely the most solid ND team top to bottom since the Holtz era.  They’ve answered every challenge, but there are still weaknesses.  In particular they’ve lost too much talent on the OL.

I think they are 50/50 to go 12-0 and reach the playoffs.  They’d be an underdog to Clemson but could beat them. I can’t see them (or anyone) beating Bama.

Anything can happen. It would be very cool to see The Tide vs. The Irish.

• Like (+1) 1

Notre Dame laid the smack down on FSU in South Bend for Senior Night Saturday evening. It was Dexter Williams' best game of the season and the ND defense was on full display. Brandon Wimbush got the start because Book was out with an apparent rib injury. I think Kelly just wanted to make sure he was 100% in the big matchup against Syracuse next week. Notre Dame handled business winning 42-13 and I have updated some numbers. 

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

They are bobsledding to a crushing defeat by Bama if they get that far

If they win out they will be at least #3. That puts them against Clemson most likely. Another daunting task in itself. I don't know if they are quite there yet. Bama without Tua is beatable, but there will be about 4 weeks between the SEC Championship and the Playoffs to get healthy. I still expect Clemson/Alabama III. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.