The 5 year (realistic) plan for this team

ShipUPride

34 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

Continuity.

Over the 17 year span of the drought the Bills had EIGHT head coaches.

Eight.

That's one every two years.

Continuity just for the sake of it doesn’t automatically create success. 

Do you think we would would have been a successful team if Jauron, Chan, or Rex had more time?

I’m all for giving BB and McD time to see their plan through but if after 3 years this team is going nowhere then changes should absolutely be considered.

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Continuity just for the sake of it doesn’t automatically create success. 

Do you think we would would have been a successful team if Jauron, Chan, or Rex had more time?

I’m all for giving BB and McD time to see their plan through but if after 3 years this team is going nowhere then changes should absolutely be considered.

My point: it’s worth trying

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Seahawks snuck into the playoffs Carroll's first year at 7-9. His first two years he went 14-18. Third year 11-5 for division title, 5th year SB champs.

Hence why it’s normally silly (aside from Rex) to fire a coach after 2 years. 

If we are letting McD tear it down, might as well see if he can build it back up. He’ll get at least 3 years to get this thing going. 

Edited by Bangarang

2 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Hence why it’s normally silly (aside from Rex) to fire a coach after 2 years. 

If we are letting McD tear it down, might as well see if he can build it back up. He’ll get at least 3 years to get this thing going. 

Yeh, if they hit on this next draft and the 2018 class turns out good they have a real shot. If I were an owner I'd give each FO a 3 year minimum except, like you say, in exceptionally bad situations where there's just irreparably harmful decisions being made.

On 10/22/2018 at 7:08 AM, ShipUPride said:

I have very big concerns about the long-term impact that the "2019 spending spree" may cause.  Given that this GM and HC have shown absolutely no ability to judge offensive talent, if they are choosing how we spend 80 million in 2019, that means we likely have large, long term contracts (on offense) that will carry multiple years forward.

Here is how I look at it:

Year 1:  Average football team that backs itself into the playoffs.  Overall record:  9-8

Year 2:  Horrific handling of the QB situation (among other positions).  Anticipated overall record:  3-13

Year 3:  80 million poorly spent on offensive weapons that have little to no impact.  Possible overall record:  7-9.  McDermott Fired!

Year 4:  New coach inherits team with no salary cap space, long term contracts on offense.  Fire sale commences.

Year 5:  Rebuild is on... again.

Anyone else have this fear?

No

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

Yes, if Jauron was here for his 14th straight year that would automatically make the Bills Super Bowl winners....

reductio ad absurdum

Maybe would have worked with williams, mularkey, chan or marrone. guess we'll never know.