The Marquee Matchup of Week Seven: NO vs. BAL

6 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

I think you mean Harbaugh, but you can't blame him for attempting something that's worked 222 times without fail. Pardon me if your post was sarcastic though:)

Right, Harbaugh.  No, i was not being sarcastic.  Kickers miss extra points, especially now that they were moved back. 5% failure rate.  Teams succeed on two point-conversions 47-48% of the time.  Tying the game with a 1-point kick sends you to OT, where youve got a 50/50 chance of losing.  Make the deuce and the game’s over.

20 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

He thinks coaches should always go for two in that scenario. 

Yep

30 minutes ago, 416BillsFan said:

I think you mean Harbaugh, but you can't blame him for attempting something that's worked 222 times without fail. Pardon me if your post was sarcastic though:)

But in that scenario, even if you believe he’s a perfect kicker the strategy only works a little under 50% of the time if your goal is a win. 1 gets you to overtime which is 50-50 (minus ties). If your goal is a win and you factor in ties and imperfect kickers, it’s an interesting position to debate

What We Learned from Sunday's Week 7 Games

1. Sunday's matchup featured the league's top scoring offense against the top defense, and the game came as advertised with a hard-fought battle on both sides. The Saints, however, came out on top after putting up 24 points and surviving Ravens kicker Justin Tucker's first career missed extra point in the waning seconds of the game. The 24 points scored by the Saints represent the most the Ravens have allowed since the Cincinnati Bengals scored 34 in Week 2. The Ravens entered the day allowing just 12.8 points per game.

Quarterback Drew Brees led the charge, completing 22 of 30 passes for 212 yards and two touchdowns as the Saints improved to 5-1, winning five straight games. Sunday proved historical for Brees as he entered the game with 499 career touchdown passes. Brees joined the NFL's exclusive 500 career touchdown club in the second quarter on a 1-yard TD pass to tight end Benjamin Watson, then added a 5-yard scoring strike to wide receiver Michael Thomas in the fourth quarter.

Brees, who now has 501 career touchdown passes, became the fourth quarterback in league history to join the 500 Club along with Peyton Manning (539), Hall of Famer Brett Favre (508) and Tom Brady(504). With the win against the Ravens, Brees also became the third quarterback in league history to defeat all 32 teams, a feat previously accomplished by Manning and Favre.

2. While he fumbled at the Ravens' 6-yard line, Saints backup quarterback Taysom Hill continues to prove he is 100 percent a football player, not a gadget player. The Saints look to utilize Hill in a variety of offensive packages, including lining up as a tight end to block.

All Hill does is produce, either taking snaps and running or getting down the field on special teams. Against the Ravens, Hill gained 35 yards rushing on six carries and produced two tackles while covering kicks. Hill has the full trust of Saints head coach Sean Payton. And it's a virtual certainty Payton, one of the league's brightest offensive-minded coaches, will continue to seek ways to work in Hill on any give play.

3. Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco put his team on his back with 2:03 remaining in the game and facing a 24-17 deficit. Flacco engineered a six-play, 81-yard drive, capped off by a 14-yard touchdown pass to wide receiver John Brown. On the game, Flacco completed 23 of 39 passes for 279 yards and two touchdowns.

Following Flacco's last touchdown pass, all the Ravens needed to send the game to overtime was for Tucker to do something he's done 222 out of 222 times on his seven-year career: make the extra point.

Unfortunately, Tucker's kick sliced wide right, leaving a stunned wide-eyed expression on the two-time All-Pro and two-time Pro Bowl selection's face.

Pic of Tucker's reaction is priceless.

After the Ravens scored I thought to myself (having no dog in that fight) wouldn't it be a hoot if the best kicker in the game muffed the extra point. I knew it wasn't possible tho. Football is a funny game that can mess with your head. 

7 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Pic of Tucker's reaction is priceless.

After the Ravens scored I thought to myself (having no dog in that fight) wouldn't it be a hoot if the best kicker in the game muffed the extra point. I knew it wasn't possible tho. Football is a funny game that can mess with your head. 

Utter disbelief. I couldn't believe it myself. 

OrganicElaborateFishingcat-size_restrict