OT- Typical Bay Area

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAGIIBSTMA1.DTL

They don't have Columbus Day in Berkeley. They celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day. They all lament that the Indians were pushed out. Of course, that would mean that they wouldn't be living in their multi-million dollar homes, but that doesn't seem to occur to them. Stuff like this makes me want to go over there and choke a few people.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c...BAGIIBSTMA1.DTL

They don't have Columbus Day in Berkeley. They celebrate Indigenous Peoples Day. They all lament that the Indians were pushed out. Of course, that would mean that they wouldn't be living in their multi-million dollar homes, but that doesn't seem to occur to them.  Stuff like this makes me want to go over there and choke a few people.

283680[/snapback]

So, do you have to live in a shed to be able to voice your opinion about the slaughter and forced movement of native americans?

So, do you have to live in a shed to be able to voice your opinion about the slaughter and forced movement of native americans?

283685[/snapback]

No, but if you want to avoid hypocrisy, you should certainly give back any real estate you own to the indiginous peoples.

:lol:

They want to change the name from Jefferson Elementary because people are offended by Thomas Jefferson's name? They say it conjures up images of slavery? They say they'd rather name it after a black person?

Here's an idea: don't change the name of the school. Instead, just start telling people that Jefferson Elementary was named after George, the dry cleaning king. He moved on up. In fact, he went to a dee-luxe apartment in the sky and SOME people even believe he got a piece of the pie. After all, it took a whole lot of ter-rye-in, just to get up that hill.

The shed has to be in Europe.

But seriously, this is why I ain't a big Andrew Jackson fan.

283692[/snapback]

The reason many of are here, is because our ancestors left their sheds in Europe for the promise of bigger sheds here.

No, but if you want to avoid hypocrisy, you should certainly give back any real estate you own to the indiginous peoples.

283694[/snapback]

So, anyone who fights for the rights of the homeless should give up their houses then, I guess. (well, only if the house is too big for your standards)....

;)

They want to change the name from Jefferson Elementary because people are offended by the Thomas Jefferson's name? They say it conjures up images of slavery? They say they'd rather name it after a black person?

Here's an idea: don't change the name of the school. Instead, just start telling people that Jefferson Elementary was named after George, the dry cleaning king. He moved on up. In fact, he went to a dee-luxe apartment in the sky and SOME people even believe he got a piece of the pie. After all, it took a whole lot of ter-rye-in, just to get up that hill.

283696[/snapback]

I guess they better stop reading the Declaration of Independence too... Oh wait, they already did that.

We should accept that our past leaders, like our current ones, were flawed along with the times. We shouldn't celebrate their sins, but we shouldn't ignore their accomplishments either. Baby, bathwater, etc.

I guess they better stop reading the Declaration of Independence too... Oh wait, they already did that.

We should accept that our past leaders, like our current ones, were flawed along with the times. We shouldn't celebrate their sins, but we shouldn't ignore their accomplishments either. Baby, bathwater, etc.

283704[/snapback]

excellent post

So, anyone who fights for the rights of the homeless should give up their houses then, I guess. (well, only if the house is too big for your standards)....

283703[/snapback]

Well Yes, Mother Theresa.

What the hell would a billionaire know about the life of a hobo unless he's lived it? you can't fix what you don't know.

283703[/snapback]

I think this a good point. Who you are and what you do should be independent of a political argument. Disagreements should focus on what is said, not who said it. It's tempting to try to expose hypocrisy, but personal attacks do nothing to address the issue raised.

For example, people attack Bush on Iraq saying his motivation was for oil. That's all well and good, but that does not address whether or not invading Iraq in itself was the right thing to do. It just changes the subject from the actual issue being debated.

Ad hominem attacks or something. I didn't take Latin...

Googled it and this explains it pretty well.

That being said, people who defend Travis Henry are all perverts who we shouldn't be listened to.

Kind of like all of the supporters of the invasion of Iraq who are eligible should be lining up at the military recruiting stations. Yet the Guard and Reserve are raising their entry age limit to 39 because of the lack of recruits. But no hypocracy there.

Kind of like all of the supporters of the invasion of Iraq who are eligible should be lining up at the military recruiting stations.  Yet the Guard and Reserve are raising their entry age limit to 39 because of the lack of recruits.  But no hypocracy there.

283730[/snapback]

Holy crap was THAT a stretch.

Kind of like all of the supporters of the invasion of Iraq who are eligible should be lining up at the military recruiting stations.  Yet the Guard and Reserve are raising their entry age limit to 39 because of the lack of recruits.  But no hypocracy there.

283730[/snapback]

wow. excellent.