Syracuse Basketball 2023-24

Buffalo716

56 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Syracuse declined an NIT invitation.  Supposedly, there will be a mass exodus of players once the transfer portal opens tomorrow.

I was wondering what was going on. Seemed surprising they wouldn’t get an invitation. This makes more sense.

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Bermuda Triangle said:

Syracuse declined an NIT invitation.  Supposedly, there will be a mass exodus of players once the transfer portal opens tomorrow.

I've heard Judah, Copeland, and Taylor (and obviously Benny) are basically guarantees to leave. Hima and Carey probably gone as well. Bell is a maybe but feels like we're relatively hopeful about him.

Also sounds like we're fairly confident we're going to get Erik Reynolds in the transfer portal but plenty of time for things to change in the portal.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I've heard Judah, Copeland, and Taylor (and obviously Benny) are basically guarantees to leave. Hima and Carey probably gone as well. Bell is a maybe but feels like we're relatively hopeful about him.

Also sounds like we're fairly confident we're going to get Erik Reynolds in the transfer portal but plenty of time for things to change in the portal.

Copeland is the unexpected one and that is what hurts. Taylor I could care less about, and Mintz was pretty much thought to be done after this year regardless.

Would have been nice to keep Copeland and run it back with Bell Brown and JJ.

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Copeland is the unexpected one and that is what hurts. Taylor I could care less about, and Mintz was pretty much thought to be done after this year regardless.

Would have been nice to keep Copeland and run it back with Bell Brown and JJ.

I just don’t get it re Copeland. Poised to have a great year next year for us, IMO. He can’t be worried about his minutes. 

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I guess as predicated. Still don’t understand Copeland. Is there that much better of a spot for him next year?  

FWIW, I just heard that Copeland had some off-the-court problems going on.  Looking for a change of a scenery?  IDK.

• Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I guess as predicated. Still don’t understand Copeland. Is there that much better of a spot for him next year?  

I wouldn't be surprised if someone offers him a starting role and he wasn't going to get that here (or at least the staff was hoping he wouldn't lol).

• Like (+1) 1

I don’t know about you guys, but given what I am hearing and reading about the issues that surrounded the team (and players) this year, I am pretty impressed that Red was able to get them to 20 wins.  Seems like there was a consistent theme of personnel issues and attitude problems and injuries.  Hopefully all that can stabilize for next year and this team can take a step back into the tourney.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On a separate note, I have realized that I can’t really knowledgeably fill out a NCAA bracket anymore. I think with the demise of Syracuse bball, I just have no incentive to watch the elite teams in college bball play. I haven’t seen any of the top seeds play this year. 

back when Syracuse was ranked, I feel like I knew so much more about college bball as a whole. 

not sure if anyone is in the same boat? 

• Agree 3

12 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

On a separate note, I have realized that I can’t really knowledgeably fill out a NCAA bracket anymore. I think with the demise of Syracuse bball, I just have no incentive to watch the elite teams in college bball play. I haven’t seen any of the top seeds play this year. 

back when Syracuse was ranked, I feel like I knew so much more about college bball as a whole. 

Yes! Though I think it has to do with me being older and having a family too. Not as much time to devote to watching the game.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yeah I mean I used to watch a ton of college basketball and be really plugged in

Now I'm basically plugged in with Syracuse and the ACC.. and I watch some Big 12 basketball 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yeah I mean I used to watch a ton of college basketball and be really plugged in

Now I'm basically plugged in with Syracuse and the ACC.. and I watch some Big 12 basketball 

I also wonder if this has something to do with conference realignment? It was around that time when I stopped watching as much non-Syracuse bball. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I also wonder if this has something to do with conference realignment? It was around that time when I stopped watching as much non-Syracuse bball. 

Oh for sure without a doubt

It's been a slow decline for me since the original Big East disbanded

I love Syracuse orangeman basketball but the ACC is not the same

And it has hurt our recruiting

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I don't know if he was really ever gonna crack the line up 

Given how many scholarships we had the year we took him, I'm totally fine with taking a flier on a late bloomer with his height and athleticism but between injuries and simply lack of development, it was probably time to move on. I wonder if he'd consider following Gerry to Siena or if he'd prefer to try to catch on at a bigger program again.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

He was always going to be a head coach one day.. so it was just a matter of time of time

Maybe they can bring back devo

Really curious to see what they end up doing with that assistant vacancy. I haven't really heard anything concrete but seems like the prevailing theory at the moment is that they'll look to bring in someone outside the Syracuse family. Someone else however mentioned Demetris Nichols as a possibility too. Guess we shall see.

• Like (+1) 1