Bills Sign CB Dontae Johnson; Release DE Nate Orchard

9 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

Honestly, I think the lack of looking for WRs / Offensive linemen have more to do with what they're trying to accomplish on the respective sides of the ball. Defensively, they know what they have and they have the same scheme and they're only looking to get through the year because DBs effectively can play at any point without needing too much consistency and they invested Draft picks, one very high at the cost of others, in the LBer group and will probably either pay good money for another (which I doubt) or Draft another one in the mid rounds. 

Offensively, it is entirely about the future. They want to see what they have in their Offensive line because they're going to need to re-sign at least a couple because you can't have every single starter turnover, except for Dawkins. So, they want to know what the future holds. As for KB, he's the only real Vet to start at WR, and Zay is just trying to gain traction while Foster and McCloud could be or may not be the future with Josh Allen. The same can be said with Croom. As for Teller, I think they're taking the path they took with Milano which is to keep him learning and taking reps and gaining bulk, confidence and reps to eventually take over, either later in the year or next year. They have that because Ducasse hasn't been bad. Additionally, I think the FO knows they are going to need to invest in OL via FA AND the Draft. Preferably a Vet Center and RT and then either re-sign Mills or Draft one and they'll still need to sign more OL for depth / competition. But, that Center position is a key position that will need to be viewed as priority. Also, the Draft is deep with DL and DE, so signing those guys to short term deals makes sense when they will be aplenty in the Draft which is more the long-term solution.

Nobody wants to really embrace it, but we need to embrace the suck. It is what it is for this year. We all talked about this year being a year to take to re-build and get Josh and Edmunds learning and growing. Not to mention T. Johnson and Horrible Harry, which all four have shown real signs of promise. Patience is the key. 

This makes me think the Bills might view him as a Safety replacement / depth for Hyde more than a CB.

“Embrace the suck”......Im still laughing ?.  Can see the commercials now....

• Haha (+1) 1

17 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

The problem is that our cupboard is fully stocked with mediocre wide receivers.  We have a bunch of 3, 4, 5 receivers...but no 1 or 2.  With one possible exception there just aren't any 1 or 2 wide receivers walking the streets this time of year.  The only purpose signing someone right now would be to make some people ditch their Zay Jones jerseys....but no appreciable difference in talent.

The issue is that they are always turning over more stones to try and find better players on the defence, but wont do the same on the offensive side. Instead of being content with the current bunch of 3,4,&5's, what do they have to lose by trying to find other 3,4,&,5's that may be an improvement over what they have on the roster? It's not like those 3,4,&5's on this roster are world beaters. Maybe they find a 'diamond in the rough', if not what's the worst that happens? They end up with a guy who cant get separation or cant catch the ball when thrown to them?

This idea that they will just turn their attention to the offence next offseason was thought as going to happen this offseason to go with the new QB. Smart QMs and coaches build up the cast around their young developing QBs to help them succeed and develop. This offseason I expect the same as this one, dumpster dive for WRs and Linemen, while using the picks and FA to fill holes that come up in the defence.

It would be nice if these guys could multitask and work to fix both sides at the same time. 

20 hours ago, Helpmenow said:

Thought Nate orchard was a good player, guess not

he is a good player and this move sucks. why wouldn't they release dt robert thomas whose name we'll never hear...or send one of the lineman that will never be active on gameday back to the p.s. orchard could have been a good chess piece along that line, especially at rushing the passer.

i was all for kicking shaq inside, but they are gonna have to keep mixing it up on the line to have success....ie.. lorax on the line vs. minn.

9 hours ago, rrosgt said:

I like that they are trying to make up for all the injuries. Hope the can do something with O-line too. Lets Go Buffalo

i don't think they will as long as teflon juan is around. last year we struggled getting the run game going due to the zone blocking scheme. eric and richie pitched a fit and got it changed back to the power game then the running improved. now that they're gone, juan has his guys locked up. this is why there is so much confusion along the line.

these same 5 guys under a different coach could /imo ... would perform a lot better as a unit. seems like mcd will chew everybody's ass but his. he should have been gone with rico.

Edited by billsredneck1
  • Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, fergie's ire said:

The problem is that our cupboard is fully stocked with mediocre wide receivers.  We have a bunch of 3, 4, 5 receivers...but no 1 or 2.  With one possible exception there just aren't any 1 or 2 wide receivers walking the streets this time of year.  The only purpose signing someone right now would be to make some people ditch their Zay Jones jerseys....but no appreciable difference in talent.

Yeah - there arent exaclty a ton of #1 receivers available at the moment.  

Having said that - i'd like to see them figure out a way to get kerley back on the 53.  

Johnson started 16 games for SF in 2017 and was on his way to starting at OCB for the Seahawks this year before an injury derailed his chances.

He has good size and athleticism, is young, and has a chance to start opposite Tre'davious White if the staff feels like Lewis isn't getting the job done.

I like the signing.

(I also DISlike most of the whiny, predictable "But why aren't we magically summoning any WRs out of thin air instead?! Wahhhh!!!!" replies to this thread)

• Like (+1) 3

On 10/2/2018 at 10:43 AM, BillsFanForever19 said:

We are thin at CB after Vontae pulled a Vontae and Phillip Gaines (who is terrible to begin with) has a robot arm right now.

But while it's necessary, I have to admit it is extremely frustrating seeing them consistently addressing their Defensive holes and completely ignoring their Offensive ones.

When dumpster diving one needs to accept what is at hand, not what one wishes might have been found.  Confuscious say or something. . .

1 hour ago, Logic said:

Johnson started 16 games for SF in 2017 and was on his way to starting at OCB for the Seahawks this year before an injury derailed his chances.

He has good size and athleticism, is young, and has a chance to start opposite Tre'davious White if the staff feels like Lewis isn't getting the job done.

I like the signing.

(I also DISlike most of the whiny, predictable "But why aren't we magically summoning any WRs out of thin air instead?! Wahhhh!!!!" replies to this thread)

There you go trying to live up to your moniker again.