Is it possible they told Josh Allen to dial it down?

Rebel101

3 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

I’m not a huge Allen fan and didn’t want us to draft him nor waste all our picks on 2 players but **** happens and we are here. He looked good in one game where the game plan was favorable to cover our weaknesses and also allowed him to highlight his strengths as a young QB but he almost killed himself numerous times and obviously this year isn’t about winning games. So is it possible that the coaching staff is just giving him different game plans and things to teach him and telling him not to get hurt and just learn what you can week to week get through the season and next year things will be different? But for coaches to do that McBeane must feel comfortable with their jobs for a few years at least definitely not the standard 3 and out. But maybe the owners have given them a time frame because they wanted to fix the cap space. I don’t know I’m just processing info because this team has looked crazy and hasn’t done 1 thing consistently and neither the offense or defense is playing with any fire besides in Minn so what the !@#$ could it possibly be

So just one very small question

You didnt want draft picks wasted on a QB (which really is the only place you SHOULD be wasting a lot of draft picks and it didnt cost us future draft picks like it normally does but I digress)

What should we have done at QB?

My theory on what happened yesterday is Josh is currently stuck in information overload. To me he looks like a feel player, and that's part of the reason he's so raw. 

For the first time in his career, coaches are asking him to do more than just go out and play with a basic game plan. Now he needs to pay attention to pre-snap alignments, check our protections, move guys around, diagnose rush while still going throw his progressions, find the hot route, keep track of his internal clock, etc., etc.,...and it's all just WAY TOO MUCH for him to process because he's never had to do this much before. 

Yesterday his brain broke on the field. I watched it happen. Twice in the 3rd and 4th quarters he ran away from non-existent pressure right into getting sacked. The first INT throw was another example. He's simultaneously missing unblocked rushers while also running away from phantom ones.

To answer your question OP, I do think the coaching staff told him to be careful. I don't think that had any impact on what happened. Josh just isn't good at diagnosing or feeling pressure, and given his head is already spinning with everything else he isn't playing instinctively which is also exacerbating his accuracy issues. Last week he played with his gut and with confidence. He stayed out of his own head. It might be time to dial back the complexity of the game plan and the extent of his responsibilities. He's just not ready for this.

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...how does that show up one week and vanish the next?......any credence to the worn out cliche', "well they came out flat"?...........maybe "bad day at the office" works better.......

The bills being able to be productive was aided by the mistakes of the vikings more so then their ability to "earn" stopping them on third down, and getting first downs by unsportsmanlike conduct penalties. The packers were better at avoiding mistakes like that.

Edited by wagon127