Back surgery?

9 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

Has anyone here had back surgery, specifically spinal fusion?

I've heard horror stories from people that know someone that has had it done but the few people that I've talked to that actually had it say it helped and they would definitely do it again.

Looking for pros and cons I guess. Thanks.

I have had two back operations over the years. Each of the procedures relieved the pain and allowed me to live normally. Whatever operation you have the key to success is in the rehabilitation and healthy life style. 

With respect to spinal fusion my advice to you is to do extensive research and find the best surgeon and then get a second and third opinion. In many cases the spinal fusion surgery is more complicated and major and can have more dire results. I'm not saying you should or shouldn't get this type of surgery but I am clearly saying that this is a major surgery compared to more simple disc surgery. 

There are brilliant surgeons and there are hacks. It makes a difference who does the procedure. You also need to realize that there are no guarantees that a surgery, even done by an accomplished doctor, will give you the outcome you desire. There are risks associated to all surgeries, even low risk procedures. 

Best of luck. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

wife has 2 herniated discs in her back from us being rear ended at a red light by a texter.    she took the meetings but opted not to have the spinal fusion.   she's glad she did not, it's semi healed up gets better yearly.   just get multiple opinions on it before deciding. and talk to people who have had it in real life not on message boards. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had back pain for a long time but now I do  easy back exercises a couple times a week and its all better. Probably a good idea to try that out first before going under the knife. I'm not sure what the names are of the exercises, but on one I put a hockey stick across my shoulders with my arms over it and bend down keeping my back straight. It stretches out the back of the legs really nice and is good for lower back 

Then I lay on ground with legs up and push my mid section up five times, but not to failure. Just to work it mildly. 

Then I get on all fours and kick my legs back one at a time. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I've heard horror stories from people that know someone that has had it done but the few people that I've talked to that actually had it say it helped and they would definitely do it again.

Just a fair warning....I had a fusion with the pedicle screw insertion done 23 years ago,it was smooth sailing until a few years ago when I was diagnosed with severe arthritis in my spine.Eating the pain nearly everyday of your life will take a toll on you...ask you're OS about the risk of arthritis,my surgeon never mentioned it to me before he cut me open. P.S.- Have you tried epidural treatments...they do work but are temporary,traction treatments might be another option for you. Best of luck to you.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

wife has 2 herniated discs in her back from us being rear ended at a red light by a texter.    she took the meetings but opted not to have the spinal fusion.   she's glad she did not, it's semi healed up gets better yearly.   just get multiple opinions on it before deciding. and talk to people who have had it in real life not on message boards. 

Is your back better...still pounding on the Biofreeze? I went through a bottle of cbd cream in a week..it did "jack squat"for my pain.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Soda Popinski said:

I've been talking to paitents at Physical therapy but I get the feeling they are more interested in getting money from their lawsuit than actually getting better.

Did your wife have any nerve damage?  Wondering if that got any better. If I move too fast or step wrong it feels like I got shot in the rear and my legs stop working.  

I go to PT and a chiropractor. They don't seem to help much. 

15 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I had kidney surgery about 5 years ago.

My surgeon had back surgery done on himself 3 years prior to my surgery.  He said he still had no feeling in a couple of his toes and a numb, tingly feeling in his one foot.  It came up in the context of him explaining to my why I had similar feelings in my side.  The problem is that when you slice someone open, you slice through nerves and the longer the nerves, the longer it takes for them to rejuvenate and grow back.

He said to me, "My advice is never have back surgery!" and also "don't ride a motorcycle!"

That coming from the top kidney surgeon at the Cleveland Clinic in Ft. Lauderdale.

So I'll pass it on to you.  Never have back surgery.

Unless you can't help it.

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

Is your back better...still pounding on the Biofreeze? I went through a bottle of cbd cream in a week..it did "jack squat"for my pain.

Mine is better finally.   but it was a week of pain in the rear end sitting.     Sorry that didn't work for you, i'll remember not to waste my money on it. 

18 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I've been talking to paitents at Physical therapy but I get the feeling they are more interested in getting money from their lawsuit than actually getting better.

Did your wife have any nerve damage?  Wondering if that got any better. If I move too fast or step wrong it feels like I got shot in the rear and my legs stop working.  

I go to PT and a chiropractor. They don't seem to help much. 

they didn't say anything about nerve damage so not sure. She was just afraid of the surgery after talking to two people who had it and said it made things worse.   Also the injections that the dr recommended were nothing but pain management and she declined those as well.     She stretches twice a day and says that seems to really help.   

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Swimming and pool exercises are also something you should try. I know people don't like the hassle of going to a pool, but the water sure seems to have a healing quality about it. 

I had my back surgeries many years ago but I still swim because it is one of the best exercises for the back and in general. I regularly swim a little more than a mile but you don't have to do that to get the benefit from other water exercises. General moving around and walking is helpful. 

Another exercise that I regularly do is ride a bike, primarily a stationary bike. Working out on elliptical also helps. Hard impact exercises as opposed to low impact exercises can do more damage than be helpful. 

As others pointed out strengthening the core very much helps with back issues. 

The attitude to take when having back issues is that exercising and being in good condition has to be not for a specific period of time when you are rehabilitating but it has to be part of your regular routine so the "troubles/pain" can be managed/controlled. 

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

Also the injections that the dr recommended were nothing but pain management and she declined those as well.     

I have to disagree,SP.If the pain becomes so overwhelming and stops all activity,then you need extreme temporary help so you can exercise and keep your body mobile.In addition,Epidurals are steroid injections,so there is no risk of addiction.

I had terrible sciatica about 4 years ago.  Tried everything.  Chiropractor, acupuncture, steroids, epidural, pain meds, back exercises.  Nothing worked.  Opted for a lumbar laminectomy.   Best thing I ever did. Been 100% pain free and it was a life changer.  I've worked out hard ever since, have lost 30 plus pounds and in the best shape of my life at 57.  

Edited by Chef Jim
  • Like (+1) 2

16 hours ago, Misterbluesky said:

I have to disagree,SP.If the pain becomes so overwhelming and stops all activity,then you need extreme temporary help so you can exercise and keep your body mobile.In addition,Epidurals are steroid injections,so there is no risk of addiction.

She wasn't in that much pain, at least she said she wasn't.   I said if you need em get em but she was afraid of injections into her back that she was told would not actually fix the issue.   She was afraid of the opioids they prescribed too, she took some but few and far between.