Concern about the GM's Experience

Bob in STL

13 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Fans really need to be patient, and let Brandon Beane's plan come to fruition.  If this team isn't pointing up by the middle/end of next season, then we can start talking.  Until then, it's just ridiculously premature.

Nobody wants to deal with a rebuilding season.  It's ugly to watch, and it's easy to get impatient.  But until Beane arrived, this organization was stuck in a perpetual state of .500 football, with no playoffs in 17 years and no franchise quarterback.  He decided that our best course wasn't to add talent to the foundation, but to blow up the foundation and start over. 

Many are frustrated with the lack of talent we added this offseason, and want to blame Beane for not fielding a competitive team.  But looking at our resources, I just don't see how much more he could have done. 

We only had so many draft picks, and it was absolutely vital to the plan for them to secure Josh Allen with the first trade up.  We absolutely could not walk out of this draft without our QB of the future, and anyone who disagrees is not worth listening to.  Even without the trade-up for Tremaine Edmunds, we would only have had one extra 3rd Round choice.  That's it.

In free agency, Beane used the little cap space he had to improve the D-Line.  Maybe time will tell that he overpaid for Star Lotulelei and Trent Murphy, but I think we should give them a little bit longer than Week 1 to call them busted pickups.  The Vontae Davis addition looks pretty bad so far, but EJ Gaines only played 11 games last year and is already hurt again.  I can't blame them for letting him walk.  After the Davis, Lotulelei and Murphy signings, we didn't have the cash to make any other splash signings.  Right now, the Bills are sitting with less than $9 million in cap space.  So it's not like they had a ton of money to go out and upgrade the other weak spots.  We had to settle for guys like Russell Bodine and Marshall Newhouse.

And for all of the complaining about the O-Line, don't forget that Ritchie Incognito retired in April - AFTER all the best free agents had been picked clean and AFTER the draft was finished.  The Bills had restructured his contract and were counting on him playing this season.  It's not Beane's fault that Incognito screwed his teammates over.

I get it.  We have big holes on the offensive line, at wide receiver and at cornerback.  We will likely be starting a rookie quarterback sooner than later.  We probably won't be very competitive in 2018.  But that was never the plan.  The plan was to develop Allen, get Edmunds some experience.  Next year we have an estimated $90 million in cap space.  We have virtually no players (Kyle Williams and maybe Kelvin Benjamin) needed to re-sign.  And we have a full slate of draft picks.

Good post … some of the underwhelming free agents signings are due to limited cap space.  None of them are very expensive.  We will be out of cap jail next year and should be able to bring in a few starters and some better depth. 

52 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I am hoping the defense is actually better than what we saw and they wore down due to the putrid performance of the offense - ZERO first downs in the first half. 

The time of possession was so skewed the entire first half.  We gave up some big plays on 3rd down, that can be corrected.  We  did not get enough pressure on the QB so they kept passing and the WR's always have the edge on the CB's in slick rainy weather. 

you wouldn't have known that looking at the bills receivers today