Concern about the GM's Experience

Bob in STL

I am not going to say fire anyone so relax.  In fact, the problems the Bills have experienced in the past 18 years has come from a complete lack of stability in coaching and front office.   For that reason we need to not fire Beane or McDermott although people will be calling for it as this season progresses. 

Beane seems like a bright guy and all.  No doubt he has made some good moves, collected some draft picks, and will clean up our cap issue starting next season.  This being his first GM job, coupled with his total overall inexperience, will lead to some questions about the moves he made in the past offseason.  Clearly he needs to learn from this and do better. 

The 3 moves, or non moves, that will plague us this season are:

1.  McCarron - Drafting Allen as QB of the future is fine.  Signing McCarron to compete for a starting spot was not.  McCarron and Peterman are not NFL caliber players.  He should have brought in someone with experience as a starter.  We have no one to groom Josh Allen and with McCarron gone, and Peterman now toasted, we have to play Allen sooner than anyone wanted.   Not a good situation. 

2.  OL -  Lose Wood due to injury/retirement - bad luck.  Trade Cordy Glenn due to injuries and salary - I get it.  Lose Ritchie due to whatever craziness was happening -now its time to make a big move to bring in a legitimate player.  Instead he brings in hte mediocre at best Bodine and Newhouse and both were low cost moves for marginal NFL players. 

3.  WR - everyone complains about the OL but I think this WR group is the worst in the league, the worst in Bills history, and a bigger problem than the OL.  As bad as the OL was today, the WR's did not get open and did not catch the ball when they were.  The best of the bunch is Benjamin and he played an uninspired game against the Ravens, dropping a TD and giving up on several balls, including one of Peterman's poor INTs. 

My biggest concern right now is having to play Allen on a team with such poor talent on offense. 

I still have faith in McDermott to pick up the pieces as he did last year.  Hopefully week 1 was a "preseason hangover" and they can right the ship next week at home.

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Like (+1) 3

I'm somewhat worried we're in a Josh McDaniels type situation, with a young coach who has too much power who has gone out of his way to overhaul the roster with his guys, who for the most part don't look like they're very good football players. Our lack of talent at WR, on the OL and even on the DL is alarming. We have enormous problems in each of those areas. 

The Bills roster is terrible and it's been made terrible by this front office and coach choosing to get rid of most of our players either through cuts or trades. I get that we have a ton of cap space next year, but big spending in free agency doesn't always work. We need to rebuild the core of this team and that might take another 2-3 years. 

Edited by jrober38
  • Like (+1) 4

5 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm somewhat worried we're in a Josh McDaniels type situation, with a young coach who has too much power who has gone out of his way to overhaul the roster with his guys, who for the most part don't look like they're very good football players. Our lack of talent at WR, on the OL and even on the DL is alarming. We have enormous problems in each of those areas. 

The Bills roster is terrible and it's been made terrible by this front office and coach choosing to get rid of most of our players either through cuts or trades. I get that we have a ton of cap space next year, but big spending in free agency doesn't always work. We need to rebuild the core of this team and that might take another 2-3 years. 

Right on.  We have lots of cap room but spending lots on free agents is proven to be a bad plan.   We need to draft well and use that cap space to keep our good players.

We are several drafts away from a serious contender and thats assuming our 2 number 1's this year (Allen and Edmunds) actually do pan out. 

Edited by Bob in STL

4 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

next season we will have an epic amount of cap space opening up, along with some pretty high draft picks. incorporate this with our young talent getting more experience, and the ability to get out of a couple more contracts (hughes, clay?) and just watch what happens. we have gone through the tear down, and are in the rebuild. 

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Right on.  We have lots ofo cap room but spending lots on free agents is proven to be a bad plan.   We need to draft well and use that cap space to keep our good players.

We are several drafts away from a serious contender and thats assuming our 2 number 1's this year (Allen and Edmunds) actually do pan out. 

If Allen doesn't work out (I don't think he will), this team will be in the gutter for 3-5 years. 

If the Bills are terrible, my hope is that they can find a trade partner and recoup a ton of draft picks.

I was super excited heading into the draft this year due to the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks we had, but then we traded them all away. I was really hoping we'd add 5-6 quality players to the roster, and we only wound up with two guys. 

This roster is Swiss Cheese, and trading down and picking up future picks and additional picks in 2019 is probably the route I'd take. We need more NFL calibre players. 

• Like (+1) 1

Some other bad moves include signing Davis to be the starting CB opposite from White and being stuck with the guaranteed money from Coleman's contract.  Davis has not fully recovered from a significant injury and Coleman likely would have been waived by the Browns.  I get it that he was hamstrung by the salary cap and dead money to sign free agents to address needs, but there is real problem on this team with talent and depth that is going to take time to fix.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

If Allen doesn't work out (I don't think he will), this team will be in the gutter for 3-5 years. 

If the Bills are terrible, my hope is that they can find a trade partner and recoup a ton of draft picks.

I was super excited heading into the draft this year due to the number of 1st, 2nd and 3rd round picks we had, but then we traded them all away. I was really hoping we'd add 5-6 quality players to the roster, and we only wound up with two guys. 

This roster is Swiss Cheese, and trading down and picking up future picks and additional picks in 2019 is probably the route I'd take. We need more NFL calibre players. 

I think Allen is the wild card.   Edmunds, and Phillips are fixtures for the future.  Teller may be decent, but your right we had tons of picks and traded up for possible big wins with Allen and Edmunds. 

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

I’m still upset that BB couldn’t force teams to trade away their good o-lineman. Certainly a good GM could have gotten it done.

There was this thing called “FA”, and while we would have had to pay, between all the nickel-and-dime stuff like paying McCarron/trading him for a dead cap of $4M/trading for Coleman and a guaranteed salary of $3M or whatever it was .... you would think we could have managed a serious OL upgrade.

I’m concerned that McBeane think that character/work trump talent.  That’s only true to a point; character and work trump lazy talent, but in the trenches, you need all three.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

There was this thing called “FA”, and while we would have had to pay, between all the nickel-and-dime stuff like paying McCarron/trading him for a dead cap of $4M/trading for Coleman and a guaranteed salary of $3M or whatever it was .... you would think we could have managed a serious OL upgrade.

I’m concerned that McBeane think that character/work trump talent.  That’s only true to a point; character and work trump lazy talent, but in the trenches, you need all three.

You can’t force players to sign with you and there’s no way of knowing who they even tried to go after.

6 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

We did. NOT trade them all away we still ended up with two firsts  a 3,twom4 and two 5

Just now, TheTruthHurts said:

It is easy to see this is a tear down. Last year wasn't supposed to happen. The roster was purged. Next year they will begin to build it up. 

Probably right.

Look back at the moves in free agency.  We brought in bodies to compete but no players that actually upgraded the roster - maybe Star and Trent were supposed to do that? 

They better draft well because their plan absolutely requires it. 

Just now, Bob in STL said:

Probably right.

Look back at the moves in free agency.  We brought in bodies to compete but no players that actually upgraded the roster - maybe Star and Trent were supposed to do that? 

They better draft well because their plan absolutely requires it. 

If Star and Trent were not intended to upgrade the roster, then we overpaid for both badly.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I am not going to say fire anyone so relax.  In fact, the problems the Bills have experienced in the past 18 years has come from a complete lack of stability in coaching and front office.   For that reason we need to not fire Beane or McDermott although people will be calling for it as this season progresses. 

Beane seems like a bright guy and all.  No doubt he has made some good moves, collected some draft picks, and will clean up our cap issue starting next season.  This being his first GM job, coupled with his total overall inexperience, will lead to some questions about the moves he made in the past offseason.  Clearly he needs to learn from this and do better. 

1.  McCarron - Drafting Allen as QB of the future is fine.  Signing McCarron to compete for a starting spot was not.  McCarron and Peterman are not NFL caliber players.  He should have brought in someone with experience as a starter.  We have no one to groom Josh Allen and with McCarron gone, and Peterman now toasted, we have to play Allen sooner than anyone wanted.   Not a good situation. 

2.  OL -  Lose Wood due to injury/retirement - bad luck.  Trade Cordy Glenn due to injuries and salary - I get it.  Lose Ritchie due to whatever craziness was happening -now its time to make a big move to bring in a legitimate player.  Instead he brings in hte mediocre at best Bodine and Newhouse and both were low cost moves for marginal NFL players. 

3.  WR - everyone complains about the OL but I think this WR group is the worst in the league, the worst in Bills history, and a bigger problem than the OL.  As bad as the OL was today, the WR's did not get open and did not catch the ball when they were.  The best of the bunch is Benjamin and he played an uninspired game against the Ravens, dropping a TD and giving up on several balls, including one of Peterman's poor INTs. 

My biggest concern right now is having to play Allen on a team with such poor talent on offense. 

I still have faith in McDermott to pick up the pieces as he did last year.  Hopefully week 1 was a "preseason hangover" and they can right the ship next week at home.

*AJMC is / could be a semi decent backup.  The team reacted badly to one bad outing where the OL was complete trash- in favor of the home grown QB.  

*Not so easy to find OLs, they are the heart and soul an offense.  

*WR is a complete joke and definitely shows the ineptitude of previous regimes.  KB is the only semi decent starter and he's slow.  

3 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

If Star and Trent were not intended to upgrade the roster, then we overpaid for both badly.

Yes they clearly were intended to upgrade the DL.

The guys they brought in to help at CB have not impressed. I do not like all the zone coverage schemes .. because of it Darby was traded away. 

Edited by Bob in STL

20 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I see it pretty much the same way.  I don’t think that McCarron would have looked much better than Peterman with this group, but I’d rather have him back to repack Peterman as the starter instead of having to throw Allen into this disaster.   As you said, both the WRs and OL are major problems.  Not much chance of success with that combination no matter who plays QB.

NOw Allen will be fed to the wolves and it won’t take beyond next game for some to start calling him a bust.

I expected the offense to be awful, but I was shocked by how poorly the defense played.  I know that they have problems rushing the passer, but i didn’t expect anything like that performance.

Year two and the team is worse.  More talent has left the team via FA, trade, retirement, than McBeane has added via draft, trade, and FA.  Yes they have lots of cap room next year. But cap space was never the problem.  They let Gilmore walk and blew the comp pick on garbage players that could have been replaced with any street FA.  They traded Watkins and Dareus for lesser talents and pissed away the picks moving up in the draft.  I didn't like Darby but it appears he is a starting DB in this league and Mathews was awful.  

If Allen is legit then this year will be worth it.  But there are a lot of pieces that need to be added to fix this team.  And trading away talent for lottery picks and then giving up those picks to move up in the draft is not going to get it done.  

• Like (+1) 2