Carp jumping out of the water

I heard them talking about this during an outdoors program on WGR this morning. So I poked around the Internet and found this article about it.  Click on the video on the right hand side.

http://www.citypages.com/databank/23/1132/article10627.asp

280609[/snapback]

Man, that sucked, I kept waiting on one of those fishes to jump outta the water a smack that guy in the head :w00t:

jesus that would hurt wouldn't it? is it possible that they taste good? i would never have eaten the slow-moving poop-eating behemoths that we used to pull out of the allegheny river when i was little, but then they sure couldn't move like that.

jesus that would hurt wouldn't it?  is it possible that they taste good?  i would never have eaten the slow-moving poop-eating behemoths that we used to pull out of the allegheny river when i was little, but then they sure couldn't move like that.

280660[/snapback]

Carp are a fine delicacy if properly prepared. You would first have to get a live one and keep it in some good, clear water rather than the murky rubbish they prefer for about a week and then the muddy taste normally associated with them is gone, leaving a fine food fish behind.......hmmmmmm

Carp are a fine delicacy if properly prepared. You would first have to get a live one and keep it in some good, clear water rather than the murky rubbish they prefer for about a week and then the muddy taste normally associated with them is gone, leaving a fine food fish behind.......hmmmmmm

280887[/snapback]

I read that. Of course, snakes and bugs are delicacies if properly prepared, too. So are all kinds of internal organs, non-perishables, and synthetics no one with common sense would eat. I guess delicacy must be some fancy word for crap. I mean carp. Nevermind. :w00t:

I didn't read the article. They must be talking about Asian carp?

They have been making they way up the waterways from the south.

Out here on the Illinois river they have a "electric" fence at Lemont, IL (north of Joliet, just below the SAG junction)... Supposely, it is suppose to shock them so they turn back from entering the Great Lakes eco-system.

I remember back in '96 or so... The USGS was shocking fish in our lower pool below the controlling works (dam)... Some fish were weighing in 45-50 pounds... They couldn't believe the sizes. I still don't believe people eat them, THEY DO. The contaminents have to be intense on this stretch of the Calumet.

Oh... Sometimes when they are spawning, the number of fish and size of them is intense. Water clarity is good with a lot of zebra mussel action. You can see the carp on the downside of the lower sector gates hovering around the leaking water from the chamber when the pit is high. It is amazing, you could literally gaff hundreds of them if you wanted to.

:lol:

280887[/snapback]

That is what I hear and have read. Removing the "mud vein" properly is critical?

Aren't the ones they eat in Japan... Raised in pristine lakes, corn feed, what not?

Here, in America, they started getting a bad "rap" almost 70 years ago. There are various reasons for that reputation. Many would proberly be right, socially and econmically.

Man, I can get going on about a dozen "social" tangents.

Only in America, BritBills!

:lol: