Today is the Birthday of Peter Edward Baker...

T&C

4 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... But isn't that like singing the blues without ever living them?

Not really, they weren't a band that wrote songs and sang about partying. They wrote about a beach in St Catharines they used to visit in the spring as a kid, living in suburbia and Tom Sawyer.

• Haha (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah, techniques... So did others... But who first took it out of "focus"... Blurred the lines... The impressionist.

I assume you are talking about Salvador Dali and his art.  With out impressionism, cubism, dada/surrealism doesn't spring forth.

That Dali for sure. I live 12 miles from the museum as the crow flies. He is a one of a kind IMO... he did things that no one before him had done. One example, imbedding an actual fly in a painting. My favorite painter but I'm not right on that, only for me.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Not really, they weren't a band that wrote songs and sang about partying. They wrote about a beach in St Catharines they used to visit in the spring as a kid, living in suburbia and Tom Sawyer.

So they were Nickleback before Nickleback? ?

1 hour ago, T&C said:

That Dali for sure. I live 12 miles from the museum as the crow flies. He is a one of a kind IMO... he did things that no one before him had done. One example, imbedding an actual fly in a painting. My favorite painter but I'm not right on that, only for me.

Did he do that before Jackson Pollock dropped his match (Convergence, 1951)?  ??

Couldn't say... he has too many to even begin to remember. I love his work but I'm not an expert by any means. Some can't stand his work... I for one like it quite a bit.

Kind of like musicians... some like their stuff, some don't... and who really is to argue. No winners.

8 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

The crazy thing is, the most perfect technical drummer ever is Neil Peart and they all never really partied at all. (You Buddy Rich fans are also not wrong but Neil wins this battle for me).

Dave Grohl, Keith Moon and John Bohnam, on the other hand...........

And it’s time for me to catch **** but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Peart is top ten (or lower) overrated drummers of all time. 

16 hours ago, Chef Jim said:

And it’s time for me to catch **** but I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again Peart is top ten (or lower) overrated drummers of all time. 

That's the beauty of music and discussion about it! You have yours, I have mine. I have an open mind to hearing other's opinions. Good on ya for being honest.

You're WRONG, but I can appreciate it!

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

That's the beauty of music and discussion about it! You have yours, I have mine. I have an open mind to hearing other's opinions. Good on ya for being honest.

You're WRONG, but I can appreciate it!

No I'm absolutely right.  I can play a lot of Peart's stuff.  If I can play it he's overrated.  Surrounded by 6,000 pieces of percussion does not a great drummer make.