Bills' 2018 Training Camp Practice Day 8 - 6:15 PM at New Era

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you think the only position McDermott is assessing is QB?

There seems to be this universal belief that our OL is going to suck and that belief is one of the main driving forces behind the reasoning as to why we shouldn't start Allen and I find it odd and a little humorous.

I've said many times if our OL is atrocious, Allen shouldn't start. However, I've also said many times I think our OL is going to be a helluva lot better than expected. 

McDermott is going to have a level of comfort he needs with every player at every position in order to start him.

Do you think McDermott and Beane were just like, "oh well, we aren't happy with our OL, but we'll just deal with them sucking for the time-being" 

OR

Could it be that McDermott and Beane--reliant on scouting within the team, throughout the NFL, and in college--are actually very happy with the OL roster they've assembled?

Unknown is not always bad...

Actually, more like unknown to fans is probably not unknown to coaches and GMs.

You're responding to me, and no he doesn't have enough of an arm to make all the throws... at least he didn't in 2017. See almost any throw to the sidelines last year.

Here's one:

If the belief our Oline may or will not be good is deemed universal, (as you say), perhaps your post is odd and a little humorous.  

The unknown is not always good...

Edited by Figster

16 hours ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Do you think the only position McDermott is assessing is QB?

There seems to be this universal belief that our OL is going to suck and that belief is one of the main driving forces behind the reasoning as to why we shouldn't start Allen and I find it odd and a little humorous.

I've said many times if our OL is atrocious, Allen shouldn't start. However, I've also said many times I think our OL is going to be a helluva lot better than expected. 

McDermott is going to have a level of comfort he needs with every player at every position in order to start him.

....McD is a big picture cerebral.....just don't see this guy making any snap decisions......get the impression that everything will be well thought out through a wide lens, perhaps erring on the conservative side (purely opinion)......maybe even a little "paralysis by analysis" thrown in....if Allen is close, I doubt he starts...NOT saying McCarron is expendable by any means, but I could see McD wanting to evaluate the OL with "live ammo" and McCarron at the helm.....throw in evaluating RB blocking as well.....as you said, he'll need a "comfort level" in those two areas before putting Allen out there, hopefully the long sought after franchise QB for defensive "target practice".....BTW, as you said, I'm NOT ready to subscribe to the "doom and gloom" about the OL, "the WORST WR corp in the league" and "after Shady there is zero talent in the backfield" yips.......Jesus, some make it sound like we're a 1/2 step away from Cleveland's recent futility.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....McD is a big picture cerebral.....just don't see this guy making any snap decisions......get the impression that everything will be well thought out through a wide lens, perhaps erring on the conservative side (purely opinion)......maybe even a little "paralysis by analysis" thrown in....if Allen is close, I doubt he starts...NOT saying McCarron is expendable by any means, but I could see McD wanting to evaluate the OL with "live ammo" and McCarron at the helm.....throw in evaluating RB blocking as well.....as you said, he'll need a "comfort level" in those two areas before putting Allen out there, hopefully the long sought after franchise QB for defensive "target practice".....BTW, as you said, I'm NOT ready to subscribe to the "doom and gloom" about the OL, "the WORST WR corp in the league" and "after Shady there is zero talent in the backfield" yips.......Jesus, some make it sound like we're a 1/2 step away from Cleveland's recent futility.....

The Bills are a work in progress and doom and gloom does not accurately describe how most people feel in my humble opinion.

Cautious is probably a better description... (Allen/development)

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Figster said:

The Bills are a work in progress and doom and gloom does not accurately describe how most people feel in my humble opinion.

...my sincere apology 'Fig.....should have said the "vocal minority" of doom and gloom now sees a shrinking membership, with a bark louder than their bite......some will NEVER change their op[nion which they are certainly entitled to....BUT...as the OBD climate evolves, I think more and more are beginning to stand up and take notice.....sure the schneid was broken, but it will hardly make many "warm 'n fuzzy" overnight going forward......but it's hard not to keep at least one eye open watching for positive signs and yes, they ARE happening...stay tuned my friend............

• Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...my sincere apology 'Fig.....should have said the "vocal minority" of doom and gloom now sees a shrinking membership, with a bark louder than their bite......some will NEVER change their op[nion which they are certainly entitled to....BUT...as the OBD climate evolves, I think more and more are beginning to stand up and take notice.....sure the schneid was broken, but it will hardly make many "warm 'n fuzzy" overnight going forward......but it's hard not to keep at least one eye open watching for positive signs and yes, they ARE happening...stay tuned my friend............

...No apology necessary my friend...yup... the vocal minority barks the loudest...

...Myself personally... very optimistic ...

... anticipation... excitement...

...generated by Allen...(for me add McCarron)

...Awesome...

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

If the belief our Oline may or will not be good is deemed universal, (as you say), perhaps your post is odd and a little humorous.  

The unknown is not always good...

Boy... you had to respond to a clearly hyperbolic word I used rather than just saying "good point," without even having to concede your own point? :doh:

You go ahead and keep fearing the unknown. I'd rather embrace it :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

All good points. :thumbsup:

And what you say is absolutely possible! 

Just now, transplantbillsfan said:

All good points. :thumbsup:

And what you say is absolutely possible! 

...the possibilities are endless bud....ENDLESS.....and there will be a dichotomy of opinions all worthy of respect.....EXACTLY how this place SHOULD work.....there are TBD opinions and realistically McBeane/McD "opinions".....only difference is that they get paid handsomely for them and those will be the ones implemented....

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, transplantbillsfan said:

Boy... you had to respond to a clearly hyperbolic word I used rather than just saying "good point," without even having to concede your own point? :doh:

You go ahead and keep fearing the unknown. I'd rather embrace it :thumbsup:

Point is, the unknown is hard to evaluate.

So along with conceding we don't want Allen playing without sufficient protection, you made my point for me,

thanks

Edited by Figster

2 hours ago, Figster said:

Point is, the unknown is hard to evaluate.

So along with conceding we don't want Allen playing without sufficient protection, you made my point for me,

thanks

Your point is that the unknown is hard for us as fans to evaluate.

I 100% agree.

All we do is hear names and read practice reports from people who don’t have full context, so it’s at least incomplete, if not unreliable.

Luckily McDermott— who’s now approaching 2 decades of NFL coaching and has a wealth of other experienced assistant NFL coaches to lean on—has had daily practice exposure through in person execution and studying practice film after that I can say pretty confidently that evaluation won’t be so hard for him.

In other words, if he’s a good coach and is as meticulous as he sure appears to be, he’s going to know where the weak links on our team are going into Baltimore.

When I said I prefer to embrace the unknown while you seem to fear it, you missed my underlying premise that unknown to you and me is not and will not be unknown to McDermott.

• Thank you (+1) 1