Alone (History Channel) Thursdays at 10PM

Is anyone else hooked on this show?

I love it. 

No crew. Only have a hand held camera to record themselves and 10 items that they were approved to bring.

Have to build their own shelter, get their own food, and fight off animals themselves if there is a threat.

Now this is a good survival show

• Like (+1) 1

Thanks for mentioning this.  I didn't know it existed, but I will check it out, starting tonight.

Joe Rogan has had a number of survivalist guests on his podcast.  One of them may have been associated with this show, I'm not sure.

In any event, the topic came up that the survivalist was so good at "surviving" he knew how to deal with almost any normal situation, like a predatory animal or keeping warm or finding food, etc...

But then it was suggested "What if you were way out in the middle of nowhere and ran into another person.  That could be scary as hell."

There's a foundation for a novel right there.

1 hour ago, dpberr said:

In your opinion, who's the stronger adversary for the people on the show?  Nature or their own mind?

I have seen many episodes of "Naked and Afraid" and there have been several contestants who had to tap out simply b/c they couldn't take having to live with their own thoughts, once their partner tapped out first and they were alone.

There is one woman I am thinking of who was pretty hot and ex-military as I recall.  She literally said she couldn't take being alone and dealing with her own thoughts.  As it turned out, she had PTSD and they said at the end of the show, after she tapped out, that she had sought treatment and was feeling better.

16 hours ago, dpberr said:

In your opinion, who's the stronger adversary for the people on the show?  Nature or their own mind?

Funny you mention this.

The person who tapped out last night did so because they couldn't handle being alone anymore and said they were craving human contact

It depends, if you can get food, you crave the human contact, if you're not getting food, you crave food.   I think it's basic human nature to long for what they don't have rather than appreciate what they do.   

But IMO it's always food, then lonliness.   Depending on the individual, some start blubbering the minute you drop them off.  

Me, i watch Castaway and wonder why the hell he left the island.   Peace, quiet, fishing what more could you want. 

I'm amazed at how terrible some of the Naked and Afraid contestants are at the show they voluntarily put themselves on.  

Don't contestants understand fire is the priority over pretty shelter building?  Without fire, you've got *water*, food, bug and temperature problems immediately and all will sap your strength.  It amazes me the majority of contestants spend their energy reserves in the first few days doing lots of things but getting one started.  

The guys on Dual Survivor always started a fire earlier rather than later.  (Joe Teti simply started them with a glare at some dry wood.)  

I haven't watched Alone.  I'll have to take a look at it.  

33 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I'm amazed at how terrible some of the Naked and Afraid contestants are at the show they voluntarily put themselves on.  

Don't contestants understand fire is the priority over pretty shelter building?  Without fire, you've got *water*, food, bug and temperature problems immediately and all will sap your strength.  It amazes me the majority of contestants spend their energy reserves in the first few days doing lots of things but getting one started.  

The guys on Dual Survivor always started a fire earlier rather than later.  (Joe Teti simply started them with a glare at some dry wood.)  

Dual Survivor was one of my favorite shows but found they kept changing hosts all the time. Joe Teti was amazing.

Cody Lundeen was ok but annoying how he would only wear shorts and was barefoot all the time no matter the climate. Oh wait, when he was in the artic he wore shorts and socks

I refuse to watch Naked and Afraid. Just looks awful in terms of survival skilled shows.

I don't know if this show was shown in the USA but in Canada there is a show called Survivorman. One man, only his hand held camera. I recommend checking out an episode on YouTube if you haven't seen it.

22 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I love it. 

No crew. Only have a hand held camera to record themselves and 10 items that they were approved to bring.

Have to build their own shelter, get their own food, and fight off animals themselves if there is a threat.

Sounds like a less interesting Survivorman.  

20 hours ago, dpberr said:

It's interesting,  you can tell when someone is toast on the show,  seemingly before they realize it.  When they start talking about missing home / family,  you know they are done for.  The mind is the bigger battle.

23 hours ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

I love it. 

I'll have to DVR it.

I still think Alone in the Wilderness remains the gold standard for "survivalist" shows. And this was filmed by Dick Proenneke before there was such a thing as a survivalist show.

He filmed everything with a wind up camera. And never intended it to be a commercial video. He just filmed himself so his brother and sister could see what he was doing in Alaska.

The full length DVD is highly recommended, if not..there may full versions online. I highly recommend the  book too, which is basically his first year journal. PBS used to show it every few years.

The guy went to a remote area and built a cabin for what he  estimated at $50-100 in bought materials. Everything else was from the land. He lived there 30 years and the cabin is still there today. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Jerk said:

I would be dead within an hour if I was on one of those shows.

My wife turned to me the other night and said "how long do you think you could last".  I said "til that first hunger pain hit, probably 30 minutes".   

I'd tap out on the helicopter ride in lol.   I can hunt, and i can fish, but I'm no survivalist.    I mean I could probably get a crude shelter going and maybe MAYBE last a week.    But once I had depleted all my fatty fat reserves i think I'd be done.    

35 minutes ago, Soda Popinski said:

My wife turned to me the other night and said "how long do you think you could last".  I said "til that first hunger pain hit, probably 30 minutes".   

I'd tap out on the helicopter ride in lol.   I can hunt, and i can fish, but I'm no survivalist.    I mean I could probably get a crude shelter going and maybe MAYBE last a week.    But once I had depleted all my fatty fat reserves i think I'd be done.    

What I like about this location is winters coming soon and they will get a ton of snow and -40 temperatures so they need to make sure they build a solid shelter. 

Some have and some haven't so it will be interesting to see how the ones with weaker shelters adapt to the harsh winter that's coming

12 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

What I like about this location is winters coming soon and they will get a ton of snow and -40 temperatures so they need to make sure they build a solid shelter. 

Some have and some haven't so it will be interesting to see how the ones with weaker shelters adapt to the harsh winter that's coming

I saw that, if you don't have something resembling a small cabin with a stone fireplace you're going to be SOL very quickly.  Food will be gone too.  If you can't find grasshoppers, you can't fish. no fish no food, and that's pretty much it. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, dpberr said:

I know just what you mean.  So many shows feature the muscle man hacking away half the jungle with a machete on Day 1 or 2, but he has no means of making fire!  No fire, no purified water.  No purified water, quick dehydration.

Another thing: some people rely on rubbing sticks together to make a freaking fire.  A lot of time that just doesn't work, if, for example, their kindling material is not ultra dry.  Bring a more reliable fire starter and get some clean water going right from Hour 1....the rest will take care of itself.

21 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

I am going to apply for next season!

If I get on I will make sure to Use a BUNCH of TBD plugs and shoutouts...

and I promise not to make us look too soft ?

I'd be amazed if you survived a day trip to West Seneca, never mind a survival reality show.