Plan to Fix the NCAA

Sky Diver

Just now, Gugny said:

Because I'm a firm believer that Saban is completely full of ****.

This is a business to him.  He doesn't give two ***** about any one of these kids and he knows their "education" is as fake as Stormy Daniels' boobs.

I don't believe that at all.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/alabama-football/look-hilarious-photo-surfaces-nick-saban-smiling-hugging-punter-jk-scott/

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This is a business to him.  He doesn't give two ***** about any one of these kids and he knows their "education" is as fake as Stormy Daniels' boobs.

My daughter is in College Admissions. Your statements are true for many coaches at all levels of college sports. In the end, the student athlete needs to care about their education...or not. Just like all the non athlete students.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Gugny said:

What a second, before you spout off any further how do you know her breasts are fake?

18 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My daughter is in College Admissions. Your statements are true for many coaches at all levels of college sports. In the end, the student athlete needs to care about their education...or not. Just like all the non athlete students.

Many, but not all. I was my son's adviser when he was in college. Other than getting the required sign offs from advising, he had nothing to do with them.

1 hour ago, Sky Diver said:

Many, but not all. I was my son's adviser when he was in college. Other than getting the required sign offs from advising, he had nothing to do with them.

My daughter is in Admissions at a Division III University. (She's not an advisor.) She works very closely with the Coaching Staff to get Student Athletes admitted.  Many of the Coaches seek to get students admitted despite poor high school grades and test scores, simply because they want the student athlete on the Team.  It's safe to say that if the student did not do well in high school, it's doubtful they'll do better in a less supervised college environment.

...seriously?...."if it ain't broke, who will tinker with the cash cow?".......Barry Switzer said it best...."only difference between coaching the Dallas Cowboys versus the Sooners was I didn't have a salary cap in Oklahoma"....NCAA is no longer the developmental league for the NFL, which is another sad story.......so if the "spread" or "Air Raid", etc put butts in the seats, lead to a megamillions Bowl Game and make boosters "happy happy", you think it will change?.....think they care that 75,852 degrees in "General Studies" are awarded and that a handful become one of 1,696 privileged to make it to the NFL?.....and how many sign their contract with an "X" and the others end up in the streets or a pine box?....

34 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

My daughter is in Admissions at a Division III University. (She's not an advisor.) She works very closely with the Coaching Staff to get Student Athletes admitted.  Many of the Coaches seek to get students admitted despite poor high school grades and test scores, simply because they want the student athlete on the Team.  It's safe to say that if the student did not do well in high school, it's doubtful they'll do better in a less supervised college environment.

Sounds like a poor school if they are admitting student athletes and not providing them with the resources they need. HS doesn’t define your future and college doesn’t have to be unsupervised.

19 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...seriously?...."if it ain't broke, who will tinker with the cash cow?".......Barry Switzer said it best...."only difference between coaching the Dallas Cowboys versus the Sooners was I didn't have a salary cap in Oklahoma"....NCAA is no longer the developmental league for the NFL, which is another sad story.......so if the "spread" or "Air Raid", etc put butts in the seats, lead to a megamillions Bowl Game and make boosters "happy happy", you think it will change?.....think they care that 75,852 degrees in "General Studies" are awarded and that a handful become one of 1,696 privileged to make it to the NFL?.....and how many sign their contract with an "X" and the others end up in the streets or a pine box?....

Wow, that was unreadable. So do you think that some athletes would be better off without the opportunity to attend college?

If you have such a dim view of football players, why don’t watching fencing or polo?

Edited by Sky Diver

18 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Sounds like a poor school if they are admitting student athletes and not providing them with the resources they need. HS doesn’t define your future and college doesn’t have to be unsupervised.

Wow, that was unreadable. So do you think that some athletes would be better off without the opportunity to attend college?

...what is so unreadable?......there are plenty who attend college and exemplify the "student athlete" and more power to them.....I applaud the kids who come out early because of a deprived financial background, sign an NFL deal, and their first move is to take care of Mom and the family.....AND then, go back and get their degree for future use.....and the ultimate is when they establish foundations to help the underprivileged as they once were, NOT forgetting their backgrounds....THESE are the shining stars from PERSONAL perseverance and dedication to be successful in life with football and eventually without....you seriously think that is is what the NCAA focuses on?....not a chance....these hard working, bust my azz kids made THEMSELVES matter and hats off to them.....NEED MORE of the same IMO....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

I’m not sure what point you are trying to make. Good programs, like Alabama, take smart, underprivileged  kids from from tough backgrounds and provide the resources they need to be successful. Ultimately, it’s up to the student athlete if they want to take advantage of the opportunity or not.

Do you have a problem with that?

29 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

Say what?  Do you know the definition of a Division III School?  It has nothing to do with being 'poor' or 'rich'.  And no, while HS performance doesn't define your future...I'm dying to find out how what measuring stick you'd like my daughter to use when evaluating the hundreds of applications she has to evaluate.  Or would you like her to just admit everyone that applies?

8 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Say what?  Do you know the definition of a Division III School?  It has nothing to do with being 'poor' or 'rich'.  And no, while HS performance doesn't define your future...I'm dying to find out how what measuring stick you'd like my daughter to use when evaluating the hundreds of applications she has to evaluate.  Or would you like her to just admit everyone that applies?

By “poor”, I mean bad. I thought that was obvious.

I would expect an admissions counselor to use good judgement on the likelihood that the student athlete will succeed. That requires a knowledge of how committed the athletic department is to the students succeed and how motivated the student athlete is.

If she is being pressured to admit students that have a low probability of success based on the resources that the athletic dept is willing to provide and the student athlete’s motivation level, maybe she should find another job.

Edited by Sky Diver

12 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

....don't think the Bills did too bad with the likes of Beebe, Reed, FredEx, etc from THOSE lower levels IMO......

40 minutes ago, Sky Diver said:

By “poor”, I mean bad. I thought that was obvious.

I would expect an admissions counselor to use good judgement on the likelihood that the student athlete will succeed. That requires a knowledge of how committed the athletic department is to the students succeed and how motivated the student athlete is.

If she is being pressured to admit students that have a low probability of success based on the resources that the athletic dept is willing to provide and the student athlete’s motivation level, maybe she should find another job.

She does just fine....but thanks for your concern?  I noticed that you didn't answer my questions, as what defines a D3 school, nor did you provide an alternative method for the initial evaluation of incoming students.

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Again.  They're clustering.  There is no way you can be so naïve as to think that Alabama's football team is full of - or even 1/4 full of - legitimate college graduates.

You don’t think there is clustering in the general student population too?

37 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....don't think the Bills did too bad with the likes of Beebe, Reed, FredEx, etc from THOSE lower levels IMO......

Yes, occasionally a D3 athlete makes it to the pros. And the Bills certainly have had their share.  The best player at her University was recently the top receiver in the CFL, got a look with the 49ers and then got injured in Pre-Season. He's back with Calgary this year.  The kid has size and good hands.  I always wished the Bills would give him a tryout, especially considering our limited talent at WR.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.