GG

July is setting up to be a critical month for his Presidency

The trade policy stands to knock economic growth off its trajectory

Korea looks to be playing games with the "deal"

A huge new challenge looming on the south border

Senate setting up hurdles for the SCOTUS pick

If Kelly leaves, it may throw the White House back into disarray

• Like (+1) 1

Trump will just say it's all lies and fake news, his supporters will agree and we will move on to midterms. You forgot the Putin summit. That could get seriously interesting and be seriously consequential. 

3 hours ago, GG said:

July is setting up to be a critical month for his Presidency

The trade policy stands to knock economic growth off its trajectory

Korea looks to be playing games with the "deal"

A huge new challenge looming on the south border

Senate setting up hurdles for the SCOTUS pick

If Kelly leaves, it may throw the White House back into disarray

I thought you were a trumpster?

jokes aside who’d have thought the orange cheetoh had no idea what he’s doing ?

11 minutes ago, meazza said:

I thought you were a trumpster?

jokes aside who’d have thought the orange cheetoh had no idea what he’s doing ?

History has shown that Trump gonna be Trump.  Let's hope this turns out better than his business dealings, which always centered on Trump walking away from the messes.  He doesn't have that luxury in his current job.

Edited by GG

21 minutes ago, meazza said:

who’d have thought the orange cheetoh had no idea what he’s doing ?

no idea? really?

sad thing is, he's been the most coherent president we've had since Bush Sr.

here's why:

1) common sense with regard to immigration

2) common sense in dealing with intransigent "allies"

3) common sense in dealing with intransigent "enemies"

After 16 years of Bush Jr. and Obama, this is a breath of fresh air.

7 minutes ago, joesixpack said:

1) common sense with regard to immigration

2) common sense in dealing with intransigent "allies"

3) common sense in dealing with intransigent "enemies"

After 16 years of Bush Jr. and Obama, this is a breath of fresh air.

l'll bite Joe. I might agree with you a bit on the immigration piece..have my concerns but also see the Trump administration plan and view..outside of the wall. I despise the way Trump talks about immigrants, but I think the system is a mess and needs fixing.

But I am struggling to see how we are better off with either allies or enemies....why do you think we are? Any specific cases where you think we are better?

5 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

But I am struggling to see how we are better off with either allies or enemies....why do you think we are? Any specific cases where you think we are better?

Start with enemies: 

ISIS beaten back, Hezbollah beaten back out of multiple fronts, Iran teetering on the brink of revolution, North Korea denuclearization underway (the news story is fake news, it's lifted from commercial - UK - satellite imagery, original source story here: https://www.38north.org/2018/06/yongbyon062618/ ), Russia pulling forces out of Syria, China working with the US to enforce sanctions on DPRK unlike ever before. 

Remember, when Trump won we were told he'd start a world war. We were told he'd start a nuclear war with DPRK. Nothing of the sort has happened, in fact the strengthening of American interests around the globe have had the opposite effect. 

As for our "allies":

Several of the allies who are right now "offended", are being taken to task because they participated in an attempted coup against this incoming administration. British, Canadian and Australian intelligence services aided and abetted 44's illegal political spying and are being taken to task (behind the curtain) for these actions. Getting dressed down in public, getting sanctioned (essentially) is a far better punishment than what would otherwise be justified for their actions (war). 

... Just off my head before the coffee kicks in. :beer:

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Start with enemies: 

ISIS beaten back, Hezbollah beaten back out of multiple fronts, Iran teetering on the brink of revolution, North Korea denuclearization underway (the news story is fake news, it's lifted from commercial - UK - satellite imagery, original source story here: https://www.38north.org/2018/06/yongbyon062618/ ), Russia pulling forces out of Syria, China working with the US to enforce sanctions on DPRK unlike ever before. 

Remember, when Trump won we were told he'd start a world war. We were told he'd start a nuclear war with DPRK. Nothing of the sort has happened, in fact the strengthening of American interests around the globe have had the opposite effect. 

As for our "allies":

Several of the allies who are right now "offended", are being taken to task because they participated in an attempted coup against this incoming administration. British, Canadian and Australian intelligence services aided and abetted 44's illegal political spying and are being taken to task (behind the curtain) for these actions. Getting dressed down in public, getting sanctioned (essentially) is a far better punishment than what would otherwise be justified for their actions (war). 

So he's willing to roll the dice with the global economy to settle scores?

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

l'll bite Joe. I might agree with you a bit on the immigration piece..have my concerns but also see the Trump administration plan and view..outside of the wall. I despise the way Trump talks about immigrants, but I think the system is a mess and needs fixing.

As far as allies:

Europeans especially have been getting fat off us in multiple ways. Firstly, they haven't lived up to their agreements under the NATO treaty re: military spending. Trump's working to rectify that. Secondly, they've been imposing EU-wide tariffs on American imports pretty much since the EU was created. Trump's working to level that playing field. Thirdly, they've been dictating our foreign policy to our weak and feckless previous presidents, ESPECIALLY Obama with his utterly ridiculous JCPOA which did nothing, absolutely nothing to stop Iran from acquiring nuclear weapons while sending them literal pallets of cash for the privilege. Trump's already rectified that mess.

Also, he's worked for closer ties with the only true democracy in the middle east, Israel and has worked to rehabilitate relations with Saudi Arabia.

As far as enemies go, he's repealed the JCPOA, defeated ISIS, brought Best Korea to the table and applied even tougher sanctions on Russia DESPITE accusations of being their puppet. Then there's the domestic enemies he's battling in the intelligence community and the mainstream left and right.

Just now, GG said:

So he's willing to roll the dice with the global economy to settle scores?

Wouldn't you argue it's bigger than settling scores? These were overt acts of war committed by our closest "allies". Shooting wars have been started over less. This is (imo) pressure being exerted on May and Merkel and Macron to clean out the bad actors who are connected to the rest of the network being dismantled. 

That said, I think he's banking on the economic/geopolitical landscape looking very different in a matter of months. But as you know I am NOT at all an expert on economic policy, I'm not even going to begin to say what the plan is on a policy level, I leave that to you and others who know what they're talking about. I'm just pointing out that this change in tone with the allies didn't result solely from Trump's trade policies. It's connected to the bigger picture.

Just now, Deranged Rhino said:

Wouldn't you argue it's bigger than settling scores? These were overt acts of war committed by our closest "allies". Shooting wars have been started over less. This is (imo) pressure being exerted on May and Merkel and Macron to clean out the bad actors who are connected to the rest of the network being dismantled. 

That said, I think he's banking on the economic/geopolitical landscape looking very different in a matter of months. But as you know I am NOT at all an expert on economic policy, I'm not even going to begin to say what the plan is on a policy level, I leave that to you and others who know what they're talking about. I'm just pointing out that this change in tone with the allies didn't result solely from Trump's trade policies. It's connected to the bigger picture.

Idiot 

3 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

I don't know what he thinks how the economic environment will be in his favor if the tariff retaliation continues to escalate.

2 minutes ago, GG said:

I don't know what he thinks how the economic environment will be in his favor if the tariff retaliation continues to escalate.

I don't think he expects the retaliations to continue past the summer. Imo this is a hard line being drawn until after the NATO summit and Putin summit. Things will change fast after both of those summits. 

And it IS a gamble, certainly. 

27 minutes ago, Deranged Rhino said:

Start with enemies: 

As for our "allies":

to address your first paragraph.. I liked this take fro Pro Isreal think take Washinton Institute

http://www.washingtoninstitute.org/policy-analysis/view/the-next-mideast-explosion

I do agree that ISIS has certainly been beaten back, a process starter under Obama and continued under Trump. Having said that, i think, as always, that region is still  a quagmire for the US, no worse, or better, under Trump.

In terms of the "fake News" what am I missing?  I saw the 38north story over the weekend..not saying this facetiously but what is fake about it? I mean when the WSJ is reporting on it, is that fake news? Does a Murdoch owned property report fake news as well?

https://www.wsj.com/articles/north-korea-expands-key-missile-manufacturing-plant-1530486907

In terms of your paragraph on allies.. I just do not follow. Load me up some non"deep state" stuff..and lets even say what you post is correct...that is worth the destruction of the American economy?