[Incomplete Title] Sabres (21-12-5) & NHL 2018-19 - Game 39 (MSG-B) vs. BOS (20-14-4) at 7 PM ET on 12/29

Here are a couple of stats to ponder:

As good as the Sabres have been coming from behind -- 5-6-1 when trailing after two periods, which is sick -- that also means they are 8-0-1 when tied or leading after two.

This is a team that plays its best hockey when it matters most, although I do wish they'd start just a little faster...

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Whoa! 

Not it surprised that McLellan was fired. Very surprised that Hitch was named head coach. 

I could either see him doing very very well there, or not good at all. I am just not sure how his “defense first and foremost” system will fit that team (I worry that it will be similar to how he fit in Dallas). 

Hitch is a great coach though. One of the smartest hockey minds there is. It will be interesting to see how he does there. 

Just now, BillsFan4 said:

Whoa! 

Not it surprised that McLellan was fired. Very surprised that Hitch was named head coach. 

I could either see him doing very very well there, or not good at all. I am just not sure how his “defense first and foremost” system will fit that team (I worry that it will be similar to how he fit in Dallas). 

Hitch is a great coach though. One of the smartest hockey minds there is. It will be interesting to see how he does there. 

We'll see. He's only certain to be there until the end of the season.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

We'll see. He's only certain to be there until the end of the season.

I didn’t realize that he was (possibly) only there on an interim basis. 

You are not going to get a much better, or more experienced, coach who is willing to take over for the short term (especially with the uncertainty at GM like the article mentioned). 

6 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

you mean like teams get better when he leaves? Teams where  he goes get worse? Coaches get fired when he is there?

I am being a little facetious..but damn sure appears that way no?

I was over-simplifying a reason why this team got better. The primary reason is that the GM added talent with the addition of Skinner, Sheary and Hutton. Dahlin was another impacting addition and the (so far) healthy return of Bogo bolstered the roster. 

My point in the prior post is that with the departure of ROR it allowed other players to move up such as Mittlestadt and allowed Jack to be not only the leader of this team but be a better leader. He cares, and it shows! Overall, there is a better mixture of players and more talent on this roster. Housley has a coaching philosophy where the defense movers up the ice  with the forwards and participate in the offensive zone. He didn't have the talent to properly implement his preferred style of play last year. He now does, and it shows. 

14 minutes ago, JohnC said:

I was over-simplifying a reason why this team got better. The primary reason is that the GM added talent with the addition of Skinner, Sheary and Hutton. Dahlin was another impacting addition and the (so far) healthy return of Bogo bolstered the roster. 

My point in the prior post is that with the departure of ROR it allowed other players to move up such as Mittlestadt and allowed Jack to be not only the leader of this team but be a better leader. He cares, and it shows! Overall, there is a better mixture of players and more talent on this roster. Housley has a coaching philosophy where the defense movers up the ice  with the forwards and participate in the offensive zone. He didn't have the talent to properly implement his preferred style of play last year. He now does, and it shows. 

all I was saying is ROR does not seem to have a positive impact on teams when he is there...3rd fired/resigned coach..2 teams that improved when he left..i dunno, is there a correlation?