John Clayton: Best Scenario - Josh Allen Starts in December

On 5/26/2018 at 5:04 PM, Jamie Nails said:

Clayton is off on a lot of things. I don’t find much of what he says particularly insightful. 

I agree.  He is a very hard worker who made a name for himself and has a ton of NFL contacts -- in other words, he can get inside info -- but asking him when Allen should start is the equivalent of asking any random football fan on the street.

• Like (+1) 1

As soon as the pick was announced Josh Allen became the single most important player on the team. Every decision from that point forward needs to revolve around his development. 

This applies to when he starts as well. Is Allen the kind of player that can sit and learn well...or is he as a person someone that learns better/faster by being on the field and doing? Is he better off long term watching AJ soak up 1st team reps and watching how he does it...or would he get further faster taking the reps himself and seeing everything firsthand?

It's really easy to point to an Aaron Rodgers and say "see sitting works". Or point to a David Carr and say "see thats what happens". Could also point to a Peyton Manning or Russell Wilson and say "this is why it's ok if he starts". 

I do have confidence that McDermott is going to do what's best for Allen and his long term outlook. He has to, because as Josh Allen goes it's likely his head coaching career goes as well. I'll trust the guy with everything riding on Josh Allen becoming the best he can be.

45 minutes ago, No Place To Hyde said:

As soon as the pick was announced Josh Allen became the single most important player on the team. Every decision from that point forward needs to revolve around his development. 

This applies to when he starts as well. Is Allen the kind of player that can sit and learn well...or is he as a person someone that learns better/faster by being on the field and doing? Is he better off long term watching AJ soak up 1st team reps and watching how he does it...or would he get further faster taking the reps himself and seeing everything firsthand?

It's really easy to point to an Aaron Rodgers and say "see sitting works". Or point to a David Carr and say "see thats what happens". Could also point to a Peyton Manning or Russell Wilson and say "this is why it's ok if he starts". 

I do have confidence that McDermott is going to do what's best for Allen and his long term outlook. He has to, because as Josh Allen goes it's likely his head coaching career goes as well. I'll trust the guy with everything riding on Josh Allen becoming the best he can be.

Finally someone with a little intelligence. Too many people trying to put Allen in a slot. Great post.

• Thank you (+1) 1

There is more than one recipe for success.    

If you are willing to take the risk you start the rookie right away, otherwise you let him sit and learn.   

The Bills made the playoffs and I see no reason to throw anything away on a high risk situation.  

AJ was signed to be the front runner until the younger guy(s) are ready to play.   

Imo

2 hours ago, No Place To Hyde said:

Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson were considered NFL-ready. Wilson was thought maybe too short, but ready. Rodgers was not ready. That's the difference.

Agreed that different guys need different things. But we know what this guy needs. Everyone has told us. Jordan Palmer, who has worked with him closely specifically in working towards NFL success has said that the best course would be a year to sit and learn. And he's just agreeing with pretty much everyone else.

I very much agree, though, that every decision needs to revolve around his development. Exactly right. Good point. If everyone has misread him and he's ready, great. But that just isn't the way any of this looks. This is why people didn't want him ... he needs development and he needs mechanical changes.

Edited by Thurman#1

Best scenario? Allen wins ROY and SB MVP on his way to a yellow jacket and a bust in Canton after a first vote entry into the HOF in 20 years. 

Most likely scenario? Too soon to tell. Maybe he needs time, maybe he’s head and shoulders the best and up to the challenge. Hard to say what’s BEST before he ever steps on the field for his first training camp. But I’m sure he got some clicks....

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/26/2018 at 5:55 PM, Kirby Jackson said:

It’s not a complicated answer at all. You play a guy when he is ready. Some guys are ready week 1, some need a year. There is no right answer.

Exactly.  These analysts trying to get more and more specific actually makes them more ridiculous.  

Why not mid November instead of December John?