Linebacker weakness

BobbyC81

1 hour ago, ndirish1978 said:

It's hilarious to me how much the draft is like buying a new car. Before the draft people were hoping Roquan or Edmunds would be around at 12 if we didn't take a QB. People were droolling over LVE because they knew it was likely unrealistic Edmunds or Smith would be around for our 2nd. We get Edmunds at 16, which by every mock draft standard is unbelievable and the SECOND he is drafted all of a sudden it's like he lost half his value just driving off the lot. All of a sudden his instincts are no longer "elite" now he's just a 20 year old kid who has to learn how to play. His speed and size are no longer assets, now they are crutches that he leans on when he's being "too aggressive." 

Some Bills fans are so afraid of success and having good players. They get obsessed with people like Brandon Reilly, but complain that KB sucks. Jon DiGiorgio brings his lunch pail and works his butt off, but Tremain Edmunds is so flawed. Some wish we still had Preston Brown even though he was slow as crap and one of the main reasons we lost the Jacksonville game. Many still think we should have drafted RUDOLPH! in the first, even though he went in the 70s. It's strange...it's like they don't want to be let down. Now that Tremaine is ours, some people have to poke holes in him so that they aren't let down if he struggles a bit. 

I've used this analogy before, but it's like dating an ugly girl instead of a hot one, because you are afraid the hot one might leave you some day. Very strange. 

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Some Bills fans are so afraid of success and having good players. They get obsessed with people like Brandon Reilly, but complain that KB sucks. Jon DiGiorgio brings his lunch pail and works his butt off, but Tremain Edmunds is so flawed. Some wish we still had Preston Brown even though he was slow as crap and one of the main reasons we lost the Jacksonville game. Many still think we should have drafted RUDOLPH! in the first, even though he went in the 70s. It's strange...it's like they don't want to be let down. Now that Tremaine is ours, some people have to poke holes in him so that they aren't let down if he struggles a bit. 

I've used this analogy before, but it's like dating an ugly girl instead of a hot one, because you are afraid the hot one might leave you some day. Very strange. 

I agree with this - can't believe we got Edmunds, and the level of negativity on the board can be astounding.  Having said that, please don't pick on Brandon Reilly!  Has a chance to be quite good.  Not just a no talent high motor lunch bucket guy.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, noacls said:

I beleive it was on John Murphy show after the season Zo said his role and playing time on defense was going to be reduced. More  of a situational pass rusher with his hand in the dirt and special teams. My guess for starters at beginning of season:

Will: Milano

Mike: Stanford

Sam: Edmunds, then worked into Mike throughout season 

Lorax will not make the team 

I think trading up for a linebacker in the 1st round is the definition of addressing the position.

What exactly do you want them to do? They have a lot of holes, not much cap space, and a limited amount of draft picks.

25 minutes ago, Dadonkadonk said:

Lorax will not make the team 

Way too bold of a statement.  Zo brings a lot to this team, including his leadership, special teams play, etc.

With all the new beef up front, I think we'll continue to see a nickle package predominantly.  Base defenses are becoming less important, and being creative with matchup and subpackages are more important to shut down passing attacks.

That said, Edmunds is our MLB, as Beane already pointed out.  Milano will likely see more time than any other lb, but I expect a lot of moving parts utilizing all the different skill sets that we have.

Edmunds and Milano will play Lb.  eventually we’ll add someone to battle Lorax at the SAM after other teams make some cuts, but with limited cap room we have to pick from left overs. We play so much nickel that the SaM is the least important LB position.  Next year we’ll have the cap room and won’t have to invest so many picks into a QB. This was beanes first draft and we had a LOT OF HOLES.  We filled what we could and will continue to add talent.  Don’t fret 

13 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel said:

Beane explained we are rebuilding, Rome wasn't built in a day, there are going to be holes at positions but they made the playoffs (albeit it on a last second miracle play) last season with what I feel was a worse group of players then they have now, adding Trent Murphy, Tremaine Edmunds, Star Louteleilei, Vontae Davis to the group makes me think this defense may be one of the better ones in the league when it's all said and done imo.

...that's cause i wasn't running that job!  lol:D

• Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, ndirish1978 said:

It's hilarious to me how much the draft is like buying a new car. Before the draft people were hoping Roquan or Edmunds would be around at 12 if we didn't take a QB. People were droolling over LVE because they knew it was likely unrealistic Edmunds or Smith would be around for our 2nd. We get Edmunds at 16, which by every mock draft standard is unbelievable and the SECOND he is drafted all of a sudden it's like he lost half his value just driving off the lot. All of a sudden his instincts are no longer "elite" now he's just a 20 year old kid who has to learn how to play. His speed and size are no longer assets, now they are crutches that he leans on when he's being "too aggressive." 

Spot on.

And if the Pats drafted Allen, everyone would be saying it was the pick of the draft.

This is just Buffalo sports. Half of it is the media who can't wait to slam small-market Buffalo, and some of it from fans with BBFS who can't make themselves believe that anyone we draft is good. The cycle perpetuates itself, sort of a causality loop for press and fans with drought ptsd.

It's an inferiority complex, stockhoom syndrome, and selective outrage all rolled into one.