2019 Mock Drafts and top prospects

thunderingsquid

9 hours ago, JohnC said:

I agree with you that the left and right tackle profile has changed along with the qb protecting rules of the NFL. If Williams was drafted should he be placed on the right side? I don't care. Bring in talent and then let the coaches sort it out as to who should play where. The advantage of drafting Jonah Williams is that he is capable of playing any position along the line. Having a RT being able to play LT or any of the guard positions is a versatility that should be prized. 

The primary issue for me relates to the question of what do you do to put your young qb in the best position to succeed. If you want to increase his chances to succeed then buttress the OL. He will not only be better protected but that upgrade will also enhance his play-action passing ability with a good running game. If I were given the choice between substantially upgrading the receiver unit or the OL unit I would without hesitation choose the OL because that upgrade reverberates throughout the offense.  

I know you didn't expect an argument from me. :)

56 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I know you didn't expect an argument from me. :)

On this issue you and I are in accord. What I don't want to see is what happened with the Colts. They had the first pick in the draft a few years ago and took one of the highest rated qb prospects in  decade or longer. What the organization then did bordered on criminal negligence and stupidity. For years they avoided addressing the OL, and during that interlude their prized qb kept getting pummeled and battered. It got to the point where his career was in jeopardy due to the accumulated punishment. 

What did the new regime do after the incompetent prior regime (GM) was fired? It made a determined effort to upgrade the OL. Their first pick (I believe the 7th pick in the draft) was a guard, Nelson from Notre Dame. He is going to be a perennial all-star. The next thing the coaching staff did under Reich was design an offense where initially quick passes were accentuated in order to protect the qb. From there the OC added to the repertoire to utilize the splendid talents of the qb. The point is the strategy revolved around putting their qb in the best situation to succeed. 

I'm aware that because the Bills made a decision to absorb their dramatic cap hit in one year so they couldn't do much to address the manifest deficiencies on the offensive side of the ball. Now, they are in a good position having a full complement of draft picks and a large cap amount to work with to address their dire needs on offense. Although our HC has a defensive background it is the offense that needs the most attention. 

Mock Draft

1st Round: Bryce Love

Running back out of Stanford good speed and good body awareness and vision.

2nd Round: Sam Mustipher

Cenrer out of Notre Dame good body control and agility fighting to avoid sacks and tackles for loss at the point of attack

3rd Round: LJ Scott

Bruising running back Michigan State for short yardage situations and jumbo packages at the goal line

4th Round (2 Picks)

Jalen Jelks 

A bigger and healthier addition to the line backing and defensive end core.  Which could help ease uncertainty with Trent Murphy facing recurring injuries.  Out of University of Oregon

Mitchell Wilcox

Tight-end our of South Florida a competent replacement for Clay.  Good body awareness and a target for Allen in the clutch.  

5th Round (2 Picks)

Dalton Risner

Kansas State good pick up to bolster the line and provide dept.  Offensive tackle good drive off the call compliments Sam Mustipher.

David Edwards

Wisconsin offensive tackle; big and an impact player to suck up double teams in pass protection and run blocking.

6th Round

Marquise Brown 

Oklahoma wide receiver for possession and short range quick out for Allen.

7th Round (2 Picks)

Kevin Harmon

North Carolina State wide receiver big body for blocking and targets over the middle for Allen.  Will play smart and be a good over the middle type playing smart with his body in space.

Julian Love

Notre Dame corner back providing good depth in the rotational secondary and zone coverage schemes.  

The mock draft I did from the main Bills board.  Although would look at Tolen Avery in Round 6 or 7 of Liberty University Flames as a quick and light defensive tackle on rotation or a defensive end quick pass edge rusher.  

7: R1P7
 TYLER BIADASZ
Centre      WISCONSIN

39: R2P7
 COLLIN JOHNSON
WR            TEXAS

70: R3P6
 BYRON MURPHY
CB      WASHINGTON

109: R4P7
 RICKY WALKER
DT     VIRGINIA TECH

133: R4P31

T.J. HOCKENSON

TE      IOWA

146: R5P7

DENZEL MIMS 

WR   BAYLOR

163: R5P24
JONATHAN LEDBETTER
EDGE DE       GEORGIA

182: R6P7
 LAMICAL PERINE
RB        FLORIDA

Edited by Ned Kelly
Positions

6. Buffalo Bills D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Even though the Bills could stand to improve on the defensive line, their defense has been a great story this year; it’s their offense that needs the most help.

Quarterback Josh Allen has been fine, and even though the media loves to beat up on Allen because it’s low hanging fruit, he has progressed. What would allow him to take the next step is if the Bills’ second best wide receiver wasn’t Robert Foster.

D.K. Metcalf would not only be Buffalo’s second best wide receiver, he’d be their first best wide receiver — Trevor, you don’t have to say “first best,” best is implied.

Metcalf missed the last portion of Ole Miss’ season with a neck injury. As long as the neck checks out, this 6-3, 225-pound outside wide receiver was just starting to scratch the surface of what he’s capable of.

37. Buffalo Bills: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa
Edited by 26CornerBlitz
  • Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

6. Buffalo Bills

D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

Even though the Bills could stand to improve on the defensive line, their defense has been a great story this year; it’s their offense that needs the most help.

Quarterback Josh Allen has been fine, and even though the media loves to beat up on Allen because it’s low hanging fruit, he has progressed. What would allow him to take the next step is if the Bills’ second best wide receiver wasn’t Robert Foster.

D.K. Metcalf would not only be Buffalo’s second best wide receiver, he’d be their first best wide receiver — Trevor, you don’t have to say “first best,” best is implied.

Metcalf missed the last portion of Ole Miss’ season with a neck injury. As long as the neck checks out, this 6-3, 225-pound outside wide receiver was just starting to scratch the surface of what he’s capable of.

Also has Buffalo getting Noah Fant in Round 2.

7: R1P7 - WR D.K. METCALF, MISSISSIPPI
39: R2P7 - C ELGTON JENKINS, MISSISSIPPI STATE
70: R3P6 - TE ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM, MISSOURI
109: R4P7 - CB KIY HESTER, RUTGERS
133: R4P31 - RB DARRELL HENDERSON, MEMPHIS
146: R5P7 - DL RICKY WALKER, VIRGINIA TECH
163: R5P24 - G BEN POWERS, OKLAHOMA
182: R6P7 - WR HUNTER RENFOW, CLEMSON
223: R7P7 - S TYREE KINNEL, MICHIGAN
232: R7P16 - LB DANTE BOOKER, OHIO STATE

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo was one of the two focuses of today's Monday Morning Draft article on WalterFootball:

http://walterfootball.com/draft2019mmd_14.php

Buffalo Bills: 
The Buffalo Bills are a well-coached team that has managed to stay competitive and play well despite lacking talent while undergoing a rebuild. A year ago, the Bills broke their streak of missing out on the playoffs, but just weeks after playing in the postseason, their team was broken up under a new franchise retool. Buffalo then used lots of resources to acquire quarterback Josh Allen and linebacker Tremaine Edmunds. Now, the Bills have to bring in more young talent around them. With the number needs on the roster, it is going to take a couple of good drafts and free agency signing periods to get Buffalo back in playoff contention. 

Offensively, the Bills need a lot to go around Allen. The offensive line has holes; the wide receivers lack talent; and running back LeSean McCoy will probably leave town before long. In my latest mock 2019 NFL Draft, I have the Bills taking Ole Miss wide receiver A.J. Brown. He is a physical wideout who has good hands and run-after-the-catch skills. Brown could become a No. 1 receiver for Allen. 

If the Bills wait until the second day of the 2019 NFL Draft, they could consider wide receivers like Stanford's J.J. Arcega-Whiteside, N.C. State's Kelvin Harmon, South Carolina's Deebo Samuel, Oklahoma's Marquise Brown and Arizona State's N'Keal Harry. A superb fit among those options could be Brown, as the lightning fast wideout could be a great weapon to pair with Josh Allen's cannon for a right arm. 

If Buffalo takes a receiver on Day 2, the organization could use the first round to address the offensive line with a tackle like Florida's Jawaan Taylor or Ole Miss' Greg Little. That would allow the Bills to have a bookend to go with Dion Dawkins, or move Dawkins to guard or right tackle. Buffalo also could use help on the interior after the retirements of Eric Wood and Richie Incognito. Some good fits on the second day who can play guard or center include Mississippi State's Elgton Jenkins, Texas A&M's Erik McCoy and N.C. State's Garrett Bradberry. 

The Bills also have needs on defense, and this is a strong draft of talent on the defensive line. Defense, however, is already the strength of the team, which has so much riding on Josh Allen. Buffalo desperately needs him to pan out, so building up the offense around him is the more pressing priority. 

A dream draft class for the Bills' picks on the first two days of the 2019 NFL Draft could look something like this: 

Round 1: Florida offensive tackle Jawaan Taylor 
Round 2: Oklahoma wide receiver Marquise Brown 
Round 3: N.C. State center Garrett Bradberry 

That draft class would significantly improve the blocking for Allen while also providing him with a big-play threat. Choices like these three could provide a backbone for the Bills' offense for years to come. If Buffalo is to get back to the postseason, hitting picks in the 2019 NFL Draft is vital.

Edited by DCOrange
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

6. Buffalo Bills D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss

37. Buffalo Bills: Noah Fant, TE, Iowa

Metcalf and Fant would be great.  I am greedy, and would prefer Metcalf after a trade down(someone trying to leapfrog Giants for Haskins?)- and we need 3-4 new oline via later picks and FA- so a trade down would be very beneficial.  I would not pass on Ed Oliver or Quinnen Williams though- unless someone overpaid

• Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

7: R1P7 - WR D.K. METCALF, MISSISSIPPI
39: R2P7 - C ELGTON JENKINS, MISSISSIPPI STATE
70: R3P6 - TE ALBERT OKWUEGBUNAM, MISSOURI
109: R4P7 - CB KIY HESTER, RUTGERS
133: R4P31 - RB DARRELL HENDERSON, MEMPHIS
146: R5P7 - DL RICKY WALKER, VIRGINIA TECH
163: R5P24 - G BEN POWERS, OKLAHOMA
182: R6P7 - WR HUNTER RENFOW, CLEMSON
223: R7P7 - S TYREE KINNEL, MICHIGAN
232: R7P16 - LB DANTE BOOKER, OHIO STATE

Looks solid BH13. ?

On 12/7/2018 at 9:01 PM, 26CornerBlitz said:

I say the Bills should bring in all the WRs prospects they are interested in trying out and turn the jugs machine up to its rail gun setting and weed out the ones that likely can't catch a Josh Allen pass. Then go through the other evaluations - route-running, speed, release getting off a jam.

Just my opinion of course, but I think getting the right players that are a good fit comes down to those little details. Allen can get it there in a hurry and likely will always be a factor in his throws. He will need receivers that can handle that, regardless of their college pedigree.

7. Buffalo Bills – D.K. Metcalf (WR) – Buffalo Bills rookie quarterback Josh Allen has proven critics wrong, despite having absolutely no talent around him. Running back LeSean McCoy has been underwhelming, and the wide receiver play has resulted in both Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes released.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/12/07/fpc-raiders-2-round-mock-draft/

tis all true

50 minutes ago, Pete said:

7. Buffalo Bills – D.K. Metcalf (WR) – Buffalo Bills rookie quarterback Josh Allen has proven critics wrong, despite having absolutely no talent around him. Running back LeSean McCoy has been underwhelming, and the wide receiver play has resulted in both Kelvin Benjamin and Andre Holmes released.

https://fullpresscoverage.com/2018/12/07/fpc-raiders-2-round-mock-draft/

tis all true

40. Buffalo Bills – Trey Adams (T) (Washington)

6. Buffalo Bills: Greedy Williams, CB, LSU

Bills general manager Brandon Beane was adamant that the Bills are going to go best player available in this draft.

"We're not gonna worry about if he's on offense or defense. Wherever we end up drafting in the first round, and listen it may work out the first two rounds it's defense again. I don't know, I can't predict the future," Beane said. "We're about drafting good football players. If it turns out it's defense again then our defense is gonna be that much stronger."

The Bills add a potential lockdown corner at this spot is LSU's Greedy Williams. He'll pair nicely with former LSU teammate and current Bills star DB Tre'Davious White.
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.