McDermott and Beane have a type: Athletic freak

JM57

Take what you will from the analytics crows, but I do enjoy the work that Kent Lee Platte does to document athletic scores for each position group. It definitely helps paint a picture of guys raw athletic ability compared to their peers. Obviously athletic ability does not equal football ability but, they definitely have a type.

Beane wasn't here last year, BUT remember that the Bills allegedly "stole" two Panthers favorites in Dion Dawkins and Zay Jones...look at their RAS scores. Very high numbers.

Now look at Allen, Edmunds and Phillips:

They seem to be taking guys who are incredible athletes, which I guess is pretty fun, even if they don't pan out, right?

• Like (+1) 1

That's interesting.  

I think they have two models:   The athletic freak they can get in round 1 and maybe round 2, and the smart, dedicated over-achiever they can get in the later rounds.   That is, I think they value athleticism at the top of the draft and character every place else.   Obviously, talent and character are issues throughout, but I think in later rounds the guy with character beats out  similar guy with better measureables.  

Since they like incredible athletes and aren't afraid of a project, what about the rugby player Lafoga Mailata?  6'8" 345 hasn't played a down in the NFL but he is a monster athlete.  He has 35.5 inch arms, 5.12 40-yard dash, and a 4.67 short shuttle.  Late round flier?  Could be a very intriguing right tackle project.  He is projected to be drafted at some point today.  Unbelievable athlete for his size.  I don't expect us to get him but I thought this idea seemed fitting for the post.

37 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

This is cool. Is there a way to see those scores for the recievers etc who are left over?

Someone else linked it, but if I had to guess off the top of my head, St. Brown from Notre Dame is probably one of the top WR left. Borderline top end speed with his size probably rates pretty high

26 minutes ago, JM57 said:

Someone else linked it, but if I had to guess off the top of my head, St. Brown from Notre Dame is probably one of the top WR left. Borderline top end speed with his size probably rates pretty high

This is the guy I'm hoping they're targeting in the 4th.