Hits and Misses: How Successful Was GM Tom Donahoe In The Draft?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He doesn't want debate. He ends each of these posts saying "this can not be debated".  When you do debate him he doesn't engage with the arguments.  I appreciate his work but it is slightly myopic.   

And you whinge no matter what I write so maybe that why I won’t engage in arguments

4 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

Agreed - hard to look at the percentages and gain anything meaningful when the hits and misses are all over the place.

The problem is some members here have a certain bias for players and want to either overlook obvious flaws or undervalue other aspects.

I never said this was a perfect system but I think I’ve been consistent.  We have one more GM.

If I get a chance, I have one more idea on how to evaluate GM’s from Polian on using actual data

5 minutes ago, BuffaloRush said:

And you whinge no matter what I write so maybe that why I won’t engage in arguments

Nope, just try to engage you in debate but you repeat the same thing over and over. If you are going to give your opinion on a message board people are going to disagree with it.  If you are not even willing to engage with that disagreement I'm not sure why you bother.  

10 hours ago, BuffaloRush said:

Dont forget the threads with you whinging like a baby

You are right. This thread is a raving success, full of healthy discussion and debate. Totally hasn’t turned into everybody discussing how inaccurate this is/how difficult you are to engage with...

Edited by Mango
Grammar/spelling/fat thumbs

2 minutes ago, Mango said:

Yo are right. This thread is a raving success, full of healthy discussion and debate. Totally hasn’t turned into rookie discussing how inaccurate this is/how difficult you are to engag with...

Stop "whinging" guys, you're showing your "idiotcy"...

17 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ha! Ok, Trump. Many others? The list has been up for 15 minutes and Im the only one thats commented. You take yourself too seriously on this, dude. The issue is, when you have a couple percentage points making the difference between your GM rankings, one or two guys changed from hits to misses or vice versa can have a major effect.

Here's a big inconsistency and one you even pointed out yourself, and then used your own bias to rationalize it and create the inconsistency:

Coy Wire - Miss

Lonnie Johnson, Sean Moran, Matt Stevens - Hits

Now, I dont like Coy Wire either, but he was ST captain for multiple years and saw plenty of (too much) playing time. But if Moran or Stevens is a hit, so is Wire. Or they're all misses.

Just an example.

The list is actually pretty solid. I don't agree with every single thing on there, but it is pretty good. 

2 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

What always troubled me is that while GM of the Steelers, Donahoe was continually losing top talent to free agency but successfully coming up with fine replacements in the draft.  At Buffalo, that magic to a good degree disappeared for some reason.

In the draft alone, he did a decent job.  You can argue that they didn’t need McGahee, but he still found quite a few starters.  

His downfall as GM were big free agent acquisitions that didn’t pan out as well as he hoped.  That and like most GM’s....he failed to find a franchise QB.  If TD drafts Big Ben his outlook could have been drastically different