Mike Rowe's Pledge---Watcha Think?

On 4/8/2018 at 8:56 AM, 3rdnlng said:

Mike Rowe's "SWEAT Pledge" - Would YOU sign it? Agree with it? Or is it nonsense?

Mike Rowe, from "Dirty Jobs" has the following pledge on his website:

“THE S.W.E.A.T. PLEDGE”
(Skill & Work Ethic Aren’t Taboo)

1. I believe that I have won the greatest lottery of all time. I am alive. I walk the Earth. I live in America. Above all things, I am grateful.

2. I believe that I am entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Nothing more. I also understand that “happiness” and the “pursuit of happiness” are not the same thing.

3. I believe there is no such thing as a “bad job.” I believe that all jobs are opportunities, and it’s up to me to make the best of them.

4. I do not “follow my passion.” I bring it with me. I believe that any job can be done with passion and enthusiasm.

5. I deplore debt, and do all I can to avoid it. I would rather live in a tent and eat beans than borrow money to pay for a lifestyle I can’t afford.

6. I believe that my safety is my responsibility. I understand that being in “compliance” does not necessarily mean I’m out of danger.

7. I believe the best way to distinguish myself at work is to show up early, stay late, and cheerfully volunteer for every crappy task there is.

8. I believe the most annoying sounds in the world are whining and complaining. I will never make them. If I am unhappy in my work, I will either find a new job, or find a way to be happy.

9. I believe that my education is my responsibility, and absolutely critical to my success. I am resolved to learn as much as I can from whatever source is available to me. I will never stop learning, and understand that library cards are free.

10. I believe that I am a product of my choices – not my circumstances. I will never blame anyone for my shortcomings or the challenges I face. And I will never accept the credit for something I didn’t do.

11. I understand the world is not fair, and I’m OK with that. I do not resent the success of others.

12. I believe that all people are created equal. I also believe that all people make choices. Some choose to be lazy. Some choose to sleep in. I choose to work my butt off.

6) I find this to be pre-modern. 

Sure, to a point we protect and make ourselves safe, but the police, courts and jails have a huge role to play. If a person murder's my brother, The People will bring charges against them. Back in the middle ages and even in parts of America during the republic it was all about revenge, feuds and vigilante justice. Modern justice made it a crime against the people to murder, not just a person or his/her family. So I see 6 as being taken too far here 

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Sure, to a point we protect and make ourselves safe, but the police, courts and jails have a huge role to play. If a person murder's my brother, The People will bring charges against them. Back in the middle ages and even in parts of America during the republic it was all about revenge, feuds and vigilante justice. Modern justice made it a crime against the people to murder, not just a person or his/her family. So I see 6 as being taken too far here 

This guy is an actor and a reality show host and scores of people listen to him like he's some sort of world leader.  !@#$ing facebook.

54 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

He's talking about safety at work, you !@#$ing idiot.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

This guy is an actor and a reality show host and scores of people listen to him like he's some sort of world leader.  !@#$ing facebook.

Donald Trump and Oprah Winfrey agree with this message

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Tiberius said:

I emailed Mike on the issue of murder at work and whether or not he supports it. He is" adamantly opppsed to it" and called it "bad".   He feels strongly that murder should not take place on the job. He also suggested that if you find yourself murdered at work, you should get the police involved as soon as practical. 

Fwiw he seemed sincere. 

• Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

Neither has anyone else...

:lol:

Wrong!

https://osah.ga.gov/

Be advised that multiple streets around OSAH’s Atlanta office will be closed during a march in honor of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.  OSAH will remain open that day, and all hearings will proceed as scheduled.  Click here to view maps of the road closures and

7 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I emailed Mike on the issue of murder at work and whether or not he supports it. He is" adamantly opppsed to it" and called it "bad".   He feels strongly that murder should not take place on the job. He also suggested that if you find yourself murdered at work, you should get the police involved as soon as practical. 

Fwiw he seemed sincere. 

But when you consider that he grew up priviliged and he's never really worked a day in his life and he's never been murdered, he's not entitled to an opinion.

That's called "context."

6 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

But when you consider that he grew up priviliged and he's never really worked a day in his life and he's never been murdered, he's not entitled to an opinion.

That's called "context."

look, this feels like a trap. i don't think he's ever been murdered but he never said he wasn't. all this legal mumbo jumbo about contexts is confusing. 

I'll just sign the damn pledge. 

4 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

look, this feels like a trap. i don't think he's ever been murdered but he never said he wasn't. all this legal mumbo jumbo about contexts is confusing. 

I'll just sign the damn pledge. 

Of course you will 

• 3 weeks later...

More from Mike Rowe:

Off the Wall

Yesterday, I posted an article that dared to question the universal wisdom of pushing everyone toward a four-year degree. The article reached 3 million people, and not everyone was pleased...

Dawn Baker wrote, “Is it your intent to make those who choose college to feel ashamed, lazy and brainwashed? Our country's education system is under attack, and you seem to be supplying more ammunition to those attacking it......There's a reason many of these jobs pay well - they are truly HARD WORK - physically hard. Dangerous hard. Mentally hard. Feel free to send reps to the local unemployment office and brow beat them to send people to these jobs. Whether you mean to or not - your are sending a very bad message to those who want to destroy our higher education system.

Hi Dawn

You're right - our countries educational system is indeed under attack. But the attack is from within, and the wounds are self-inflicted.

Yesterday, they installed a “Cry Closet” at The University of Utah, where students feeling stressed-out over finals can clutch a stuffed animal and bawl their eyes out in private. https://bzfd.it/2HYu7pB. Last week, Ranga Jarrar, a professor at Fresno State, called Barbara Bush a witch and a racist the day she died, then bragged to the world that her tenured position meant that she could speak without fear of consequence. https://dpo.st/2vTSrUI. Meanwhile, Berkley just banned another speaker with views and ideas their students find “objectionable.” Or was it Yale? Hell, who can keep track anymore?

Point is, Dawn, the hypocrisy in our educational system is rank, the bias undeniable, the disrespect for our flag ubiquitous, and the entire “safe space” mentality the exact opposite of what life is like in the real world. Higher education has created its own PR nightmare. Is it any wonder parents are trying to figure out if their kids should be sent into such a lopsided environment? Is it any wonder reasonable people are beginning to question the value of a four-year degree?

Tuition has increased at two and half times the rate of inflation. Nothing else this important has ever done that. Not real estate, energy, food, even healthcare. The question is why? Is the quality of education two and half times better than it was thirty years ago? No way. Are universities turning out more graduates? Hardly. Fifty percent of those who enroll don't even graduate. Do people have more disposable income today than they used to? Of course not.

No, universities have been able to raise their prices partly because too many parents believe that anything less than a four-year degree will doom their kid to a less productive existence, and partly because we’ve pressured millions of kids to borrow whatever it takes from a bottomless pool of unlimited money that doesn't really exist. The result? One and a half trillion dollars of student debt, 6.3 million jobs that no one wants to do, and millions of college graduates who can't find work in their chosen fields - but lack the skill to do the kind of jobs currently available. The kind of jobs you deem, "hard work."

To answer your question, Dawn, no – my intent is not to make those who choose college feel “ashamed, lazy or brainwashed.” My intent is to remind people that a university is not the only place to enrich your mind or prepare yourself for the real world. Nor is it necessarily the best place. It's merely the most expensive. Other options exist, including those offered through my scholarship fund. Please feel free to apply, should your position at Oregon University ever vanish. Or, should you one day conclude that work is not the enemy. Mikeroweworks.org/scholarship.

Mike

PS. This is a short but excellent video from a graduate of Haverford College, who sums it up better that I. Enjoy!

• Like (+1) 1