NFL.com rating grades and analysis of QB draft prospects

BobbyC81

1 hour ago, Tyrod's friend said:

If that is the case, then why worry?
McCarron .... 5.7 (which was in the same year as Garrapolo, 5.8)

Plus, Nate Peterman last year 5.7, slightly lower than Mahomes at 5.8 and Watson at 5.9. Slightly higher grade than message board hero Mason Rudolph. 

3 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

The comparison part IS NOT based on play style and projection... it's based almost strictly on a physical, height/weight comparison 

Look at who they compare Chad Kelly too... Andy Dalton... they are nothing alike style wise except that they are both 6'2 220

I mostly agree with this, but the Mason Rudolph comp is Christian Ponder, I think mostly based on a noodle arm. Physically they are nothing alike. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bag of Milk said:

The NFL is  valued at over 75 billion dollars.

Trust me, if the tape was the only thing that mattered they would not bother with the scouting combine and individual visits to team facilities.

The fact is, tape shows who dominated at the college level, a level with less athleticsm and total skill.

The combine and visits help teams project which of these players will be able to transfer their skills to play against the best of the best every game

I agree that the film isn't the only factor but its weight is more a factor in determining a prospects value. The combine results, are a tool to see if the prospects measurable's match the field performance. IMO, the interviews are even a better judge of the football IQ & commitment by a prospect followed by the medical results. 

The combine testing (i.e. 40 times etc) & scripted pro days are more of a team specific feel to see if a prospect fits the scheme.

10 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Plus, Nate Peterman last year 5.7, slightly lower than Mahomes at 5.8 and Watson at 5.9. Slightly higher grade than message board hero Mason Rudolph. 

I mostly agree with this, but the Mason Rudolph comp is Christian Ponder, I think mostly based on a noodle arm. Physically they are nothing alike. 

Ponder was 6'2 230 and Rudolph was 6'4 235 at the combine iirc

the 230+ build is the comparison more than the 2 inches off 

All the offensive and defensive players are weight height comparisons pretty much 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Bag of Milk said:

I appeciate Lance Zierlein giving is something to read, but,

these profiles were completed before the scouting combine and subsequent pro days.

This material was added to NFL.com over a month ago, thus, they are outdated.

Not to mention, teams don't rely on Lance Zierlien to pick the QB (and most important player on their team) for their billion dollar franchise.

While I see Zierlein's name on each of the drafts prospects rankings. I have great difficulty in thinking that this man alone arbitrarily wrote up hundreds (over 500)of player profiles and gave them all grades all by himself. I have read that he talks with NFL teams scouts and executives but still, this seems like an enormous task for one individual who was never a college/NFL scout. 

The NFL does have over fifty writers, draft analysts, ex-NFL scouts working for them and I want to think they all contribute to helping him compile his scouting reports. I could be wrong though and it's just one guy who used to be a radio talk show host in Houston.  

12 minutes ago, Nihilarian said:

While I see Zierlein's name on each of the drafts prospects rankings. I have great difficulty in thinking that this man alone arbitrarily wrote up hundreds (over 500)of player profiles and gave them all grades all by himself. I have read that he talks with NFL teams scouts and executives but still, this seems like an enormous task for one individual who was never a college/NFL scout. 

The NFL does have over fifty writers, draft analysts, ex-NFL scouts working for them and I want to think they all contribute to helping him compile his scouting reports. I could be wrong though and it's just one guy who used to be a radio talk show host in Houston.  

I doubt they watch more than 1 or 2 games on most of these prospects. 

2 hours ago, PIZ said:

I found the following interesting.  Gives me some hope we can get a QB without trading everything.

Darnold......... 7.0.

Rosen............ 6.1.

Mayfield........ 6.0.

Allen.............. 6.0.

Jackson........ 5.9.

Rudolph........ 5.6.

White............ 5.6.

Lauletta........ 5.2.

Ferguson...... 5.1

Woodside..... 4.9.

When you think about players like Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott you have to think these people who grade these players really have no clue a lot of the time. 

I see Mason Rudolph 6'5'', 235 lbs and his body of work as being very close to Baker Mayfield and the kid is as big as Josh Allen only he doesn't have Allen's arm. Rudolph also doesn't have Allen's ability to shed sackers or easily escape the pocket. Unlike Allen who only played two seasons at Wyoming with a 56% comp %, Rudolph played four seasons at OSU going from 57% comp% to 65%. 

It also makes me wonder why the entire Pittsburgh Steeler front office and coaching staff have been hovering around this kid at every turn, combine and pro day. 

34 minutes ago, billspro said:

I doubt they watch more than 1 or 2 games on most of these prospects. 

He's paid  to watch and report on upcoming draftable prospects. I find it hard to believe  that their evaluation is based upon limited film review...especially the top tier guys.

There are shortcomings with the top to bottom general scouting of players because they are not slotted by specific scheme fit per team. All these scouting bureaus use the same BLESTO rating as a guide for which players are on the NFL radar but they don't see how each team  has narrowed it down to which players fit their scheme and other factors used to ID the guy they value & why.

Guy's on ESPN & NFL network  get more credibility from followers because they are on the airwaves and fall in love with a player to which they crank up the hype machine. But it doesn't affect the individual teams rating that they have created by using far more in depth analyst  on a prospect.

Serious question, how many games have you reviewed (all 22) of each prospects?

4 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

When you think about players like Derek Carr, Russell Wilson, Dak Prescott you have to think these people who grade these players really have no clue a lot of the time. 

I see Mason Rudolph 6'5'', 235 lbs and his body of work as being very close to Baker Mayfield and the kid is as big as Josh Allen only he doesn't have Allen's arm. Rudolph also doesn't have Allen's ability to shed sackers or easily escape the pocket. Unlike Allen who only played two seasons at Wyoming with a 56% comp %, Rudolph played four seasons at OSU going from 57% comp% to 65%. 

It also makes me wonder why the entire Pittsburgh Steeler front office and coaching staff have been hovering around this kid at every turn, combine and pro day. 

I know what you mean.  I'm not sure draft expert, but I see Rudolph as a good fit here.  Many here see him as a backup, but the Steelers wouldn't spend that much time on a backup.  We shall see.

6 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

McCarron

Peterman

Garrapolo
Rudolph  (rumored starting point)
and to this point

Mahomes

What do each of these guys have in common? Backups. 

5.3-5.69 Backup

5.7-5.99 Could become an early NFL starter. 

You have to say those scores are INCREDIBLY accurate. I don't about all the rest of the scores but just based on those guys?

And ...Obviously as you increase the score you become closer to getting to be not only an Early NFL Starter but Could Become Good NFL Starter. Watson, 5.9