How much it will actually cost to get to #2

18 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

You have to consider the draft the start of the personnel league year..... so only when team 1 goes "on the clock" does three years from that point include the 2021 draft.  Of course a team can in discussions pre-draft say "look we would throw in out 2021 1st".  Doesn't change the fact though that other than Cleveland every other team is capped at offering 1 first rounder less than the Bills can offer - which was where Kirby started.  

If it was where he started, it certainly wasn't what he said.

I wouldn't have disagreed if that had been what he said. In fact, I've long since agreed with that part of it. He went on about how it was completely unrealistic that any team would offer so much

He's said, among other things, "I believe that they can’t trade 2021 still," and he said that after I'd first posted the Rosenthal quote. And this, "Who else can offer anything like that? I was thinking about putting this is a new thread but can anyone design a trade for another team to get to 2 that beats that offer using the Rich Hill hill chart? Who else can pay the 146.51 points that the Bills would give with 12, 22, 53, 65 and a 2nd next year?"

And the answer to that of course is any team hot enough on one of these QBs that they want to add in high picks in future years.

Kirby was quite correct when he said that this year we have much more than anyone. And certainly that's an advantage. But he went beyond saying that, insisting that if a kind of trade had never happened before it was unrealistic. But values given in trades increase year by year, especially for QBs among the first few picks.

18 hours ago, FeelingOnYouboty said:

If NYG are selling it will be 12, 22, 53, 65, 2019 1st and I'd do that

If that's what it costs, I'd certainly do it. IMHO, might even be more.

Edited by Thurman#1

Without hesitation I say NO to the idea of trading our draft resources to take the risk of Darnold, the Joshes, or Mayfield being our franchise guy (if you endorse this trade the immediate next step for someone making the trade argument is to pick the target and defend it).

In general, the primary thing I attribute our 17 year playoff less run to was our insane addiction to try to anoint the next Jim Kelly without regard to this fault leading to stupid football moves like giving the injury prone RJ a guaranteed deal, to drafting Todd Collins a round higher than his play deserved and then asking him to start before happy-feet were trained out of him, to expecting JP to do more than he could to rushing players like Edwards )and even Peterman) to start before they're ready.

How should the Bills build an SB team?

Follow the Pitts/Big Ben strategy!

Build your TEAM first then draft the essential franchise QB as the NECESSARY addition to lead the TEAM to multiple SBs!