Why didnt the Jets just lose another game or two instead of trading away their draft?

Are you suggesting they should have lost on purpose?  That's the most absurd proposition I can imagine.  This nonsense was suggested related to the Bills early last season and its outrageous.  

No team could do that without igniting what could be a league destroying scandal.  As I don't pay as much attention to the Jets these days, I'll answer this in the context of the calls for the Bills to "tank" last year, whatever that exactly means.  As we re-signed Kyle Williams this week,  look at some of his locker room speeches on the Bills site.  A warrior to the core, in his 30s, playing his last season or two.  How the hell do you face a guy like that if they "just lose another game or two" to get a better draft pick?  How do you face a player who got hurt in a season or career ending injury that happened during one of the games or two that you're trying to lose.  Its ridiculous and any coach or GM who tried to do that would be run out of the league... no player would play for him.

Think before you post nonsense like this...

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

Jets’ flight plan. The Jets absolutely wanted Cousins, and probably worse than anyone else did. But if you go back a few months, you’ll see that he wasn’t initially Plan A for the team. A few months back, the idea for 2017 was to strip down the team, rely on young guys, and get a Top 2 or 3 pick to spend on a quarterback. And this wasn’t just on paper, either. At the urging of ownership, the Jets’ personnel department sunk an absolute ton of resources into kicking the tires on all the college quarterbacks last fall. New York had a scout at just about every UCLA, USC, Wyoming, Oklahoma and Louisville game in 2017, and did all the background you can imagine on Josh Rosen, Sam Darnold, Josh Allen, Baker Mayfield and Lamar Jackson. 

So what changed? Two things. First, the Jets’ young core, particularly on defense, got feisty early, and a three-game winning at the September/October turn doomed the idea that the team would be able to keep up with the likes of Cleveland and the Giants in the race for the first pick. Second, quarterbacks coach Jeremy Bates impressed enough to earn a promotion to coordinator just as a signal-caller proven in his system, Cousins, was set to come free. Remember, Bates is a disciple of Mike Shanahan, just as Cousins and his two favorite play-callers (Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay) are. So add the early-season surge to Bates’ rise, and you had a team with the sixth pick that could try and get a proven quarterback, which would free it up to use its draft capital to build on last year’s transformational offseason. That’s how they drew it up, anyway.

Now? Well, they move forward with the information they need—and I expect we’ll see Top 30 visits and on-campus workouts with the top quarterbacks here, too—on the quarterbacks, and less flexibility with their picks, particularly if they need to trade up. It’s not ideal, and it didn’t feel good for anyone there this week. But with Josh McCown and Teddy Bridgewater in the fold as “for now” answers, they can move forward with what they’d set out to do in the first place, and that’s take one high in April.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/03/15/kirk-cousins-contract-quarterbacks-guaranteed-money-mmqb

They beat the Jaguars and Browns by 3 points. If they lose those two games they get the 3rd pick. All that draft capital lost for two meaningless wins against the Jags and Browns. I'm not advocating a tank, I just found this amusing.

Edited by QCity