Worst local media commentator on the Bills?

19 minutes ago, K-GunJimKelly12 said:

The worst thing imo about the main WGR hosts, is it doesn't seem like any of them ever played organized sports or were ever in a locker room.  They talk down to people who have been there and act like they know more about the game from reading then people who played it their whole lives at high levels.  Nothing substitutes for experience.  They think they know but they don't.  Things like culture and momentum do exist.  So does being in the zone which can be scientifically proven.  The thing about being in the zone you could never know what that is from reading.  You would have to be in it to understand and you can't get in the zone unless you are actually good.  The arrogance from guys like Schopp and White when it comes to these issues is off putting.

Yeah, that is the best take on this topic. Most other talk shows, mix broadcast people with a former player or coach. Just look at the NFL pregame shows. Granted I avoid the John Murphy Show which has Donald Jones as co-host, almost all the time. Also the instigators doesn't interest me at all. I feel it as to do with the production staff on those shows, that fail them. You need strong personalities on this show. People that are confident in their opinions and can defend them. They also need structure on the show. I don't believe the programming from 10-3 has any of those things. But Howard, Jeremy, Schopp and the BullDog do have all that. They do however sometimes get stuck and repetitive, and that's when they could use a former player or coach co-host to help them out.

does "talk down to people" = cutting callers short or not indulging their "IMOs"?

Because 98% of the time, the callers are the worst.  Schopp and the Bulldog, especially want and encourage callers to use some thought and provide some tangible evidence to back up their thoughts.  Callers almost never bring it and its full of guessing, conjecture, fantasy trade scenarios that are a waste of time.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/13/2018 at 6:08 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

They are all political. Most people in media are super liberal.  And its annoying

You're also in a liberal market.  Do you think all of the sports commentators in Mobile, Alabama are "super liberal"?  Of course you're going to get more liberal points of view in Western NY.  Sweeping generalizations never work.

Edited by Hurricane Marv
  • Like (+1) 1

On 3/14/2018 at 10:18 AM, steven50 said:

I really don't care what he was saying two weeks ago. I listened when the great tank was going on and he was going right along with schoop. I also remember one episode when he was talking about how he was explaining it to his kid, How losing on purpose is a good thing. I am a LL coach and I am sorry but that is not the lesson I want kids to learn. Sports should be about being competitive not about rolling over. Your view may be different and your welcome to it.

In hindsight they all say sing a different tune then they did in 2013 and 2014.

He never liked that tank. You're wrong. Were you the guy who called in and told Howard he was a bad parent for going along with the tank?

You don't care what he said 2 weeks ago, and I'm supposed to believe you remember/care what he said 4 years ago? You're making things up.

Anyways, I'm back on this thread because I'm listening to Schopp and Bulldog on the app, and he actually said Star puts up bad stats but is the reason for Luke Kuechly's success. The dude is a joke.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:15 AM, Hurricane Marv said:

You're also in a liberal market.  Do you think all of the sports commentators in Mobile, Alabama are "super liberal"?  Of course you're going to get more liberal points of view in Western NY.  Sweeping generalizations never work.

eh.... I wouldn't qualify WNY as a liberal market. You don't really know politics, do you?

Edited by Ol Dirty B

10 hours ago, Ol Dirty B said:

He never liked that tank. You're wrong. Were you the guy who called in and told Howard he was a bad parent for going along with the tank?

You don't care what he said 2 weeks ago, and I'm supposed to believe you remember/care what he said 4 years ago? You're making things up.

Anyways, I'm back on this thread because I'm listening to Schopp and Bulldog on the app, and he actually said Star puts up bad stats but is the reason for Luke Kuechly's success. The dude is a joke.

eh.... I wouldn't qualify WNY as a liberal market. You don't really know politics, do you?

I lived in WNY for 25 years, and then moved down south.  It's liberal, trust me.  I don't quite understand how simply pointing that out has anything to do with my understanding of politics?

On 3/14/2018 at 11:09 AM, May Day 10 said:

does "talk down to people" = cutting callers short or not indulging their "IMOs"?

Because 98% of the time, the callers are the worst.  Schopp and the Bulldog, especially want and encourage callers to use some thought and provide some tangible evidence to back up their thoughts.  Callers almost never bring it and its full of guessing, conjecture, fantasy trade scenarios that are a waste of time.  

Yeah that’s exactly why.  It’s not just the act of cutting them short but it’s talking about them like they are morons.  

You are right about callers being bad and not thinking before calling.  But there is a major difference between how Schoop handled the calls and how a Sal Capaccio or Howard Simon does.  

Bulldog is simply a laptop who won’t dare stand up to Schoop.  Brutal to listen to those chumps.  I would rather hear “State Radio” with John Murphy and Donald Jones

2 hours ago, Hurricane Marv said:

I lived in WNY for 25 years, and then moved down south.  It's liberal, trust me.  I don't quite understand how simply pointing that out has anything to do with my understanding of politics?

I went to school in Texas, I get it, but WNY is not even remotely liberal outside of the slivers of urban centers.

If you don't think WNY is conservative then you either have a warped view of conservatism or just not very aware of politics. It's pretty simple. Look at county legislatures, house seats and state assemblymen from upstate.

On 3/13/2018 at 7:22 AM, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

Bucky Gleason

Whoops! I had the wrong Bucky.

For me Gleason is more annoying than Sully

I concur, Gleason is an ass hat.

50 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

I went to school in Texas, I get it, but WNY is not even remotely liberal outside of the slivers of urban centers.

If you don't think WNY is conservative then you either have a warped view of conservatism or just not very aware of politics. It's pretty simple. Look at county legislatures, house seats and state assemblymen from upstate.

Meh, seems we're both moving the goal posts or maybe I'm too loose with my usage of WNY.  I'm largely talking about Buffalo because we're talking about Buffalo media.  Yes, I'm sure hamlets in Chautauqua county for example are probably conservative, Buffalo in general and therefore Buffalo sports media (the topic of this conversation, remember) slants left.

This essentially just started off as a dig at the whiny claim that "all sports journalists are liberal!" as that's just not the case, and it's largely dependent on where that journalist calls homebase.  I'm not terribly interested in arguing about the political breakdown of rural WNY, I'll take your word on that...

Edited by Hurricane Marv