A good family dog?

NCDAWG

I have dobies my whole life. Had to put my last one down about six months ago. My wife and daughter would like another dog, but all I know is Dobermans. I could do research but there are some many breed and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good inside, family breed of dog...kinda point me in the right direction. Thanks

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have dobies my whole life.  Had to put my last one down about six months ago.  My wife and daughter would like another dog, but all I know is Dobermans.  I could do research but there are some many breed and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good inside, family breed of dog...kinda point me in the right direction. Thanks

270434[/snapback]

I've got a minature Pinscher named Takeo. She is a really good dog. They are smaller than your Doberman was (she weighs about 15 pounds), but they are great dogs.

I have dobies my whole life.  Had to put my last one down about six months ago.  My wife and daughter would like another dog, but all I know is Dobermans.  I could do research but there are some many breed and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good inside, family breed of dog...kinda point me in the right direction. Thanks

270434[/snapback]

You don't give your daughter's age - but we has always been (beagle) mutt people.

We're on our third now (wife's choice).

I still haven't figured out if beagles ara just stoopid (sic) or stubborn - but there is no better family dog (small 20 -35 lb) ) - loyal as hell and tougher than some bigger breeds. Just don't let them run :devil:

$1500 for a "pedigree" - hell - no ! Get a mutt - $40 - $100 at your local pound

270434[/snapback]

I'm partial to Shepard’s but they been genetically craped on the last few decades so the traits that make them great family dogs have diminished. If you have the time to exercise them, and the $ to be selective in who you get them from they are incredible animals. My Shepard is protective, intelligent, loyal, and does great with small children.

If Shepard’s aren’t your thing then a cheap alternative to costly pure breeds is a mixed breed. Usually with mix breeds you don't see the excessive inbreeding and gene manipulation that can plague many pure breeds. Mix breeds tend to make great family pets and cost a fraction of the price.

Good luck on the search and just remember to really look at the puppy’s temperament before you pull the trigger. Sometimes nurture can't fix nature with these puppy mill dogs.

Had a golden for 13 years and was the greatest esp. after i was married and had a baby girl. Very loyal and gentle around her. Had to have it put down due to cancer and came across a yellow lab that has turned into my daughter's best friend and shadow. Has been a great addition to the family although does neeed a good amount of exercise and recreation. Reccomend those two breeeds for afamily. But sometimes the best can be found at the pound!!!!! :devil:

I agree with the warden...Go to the local dog pound and look around..One of them will catch your eye and you'll be set.....

We obtained a lab/cocker spaniel mix this way and she has been a great dog for 10 years now

I have a Collie/Huskie/Coyote mix (mutt) that I found in the paper free after my black lab died. This has been the best dog ever for me and my kids. Extremely loyal and well behaved.

Also Black/Yellow/and Chocolate Labs are great family dogs.

There are SO many homeless dogs of all kinds (including purebreds) in shelters around the country... please look here first! Puppies are great, but don't overlook the older dogs that are already socialized and housebroken and may be homeless because their previous owners moved or died.

It's been almost two years to the day that I got my Chow-Newfie mix dog, Koko, from a shelter listed on petfinder.org... and she's been an integral part of my family ever since.

Good luck!

(Be sure to check out THIS little cutie!!!)

I'm partial to Shepard’s but they been genetically craped on the last few decades so the traits that make them great family dogs have diminished. If you have the time to exercise them, and the $ to be selective in who you get them from they are incredible animals. My Shepard is protective, intelligent, loyal, and does great with small children.

If Shepard’s aren’t your thing then a cheap alternative to costly pure breeds is a mixed breed. Usually with mix breeds you don't see the excessive inbreeding and gene manipulation that can plague many pure breeds. Mix breeds tend to make great family pets and cost a fraction of the price.

Good luck on the search and just remember to really look at the puppy’s temperament before you pull the trigger. Sometimes nurture can't fix nature with these puppy mill dogs.

270438[/snapback]

I got my German Shepard for free from an animal rescue group here in Raleigh. He was a pure-breed, house trained, and only one year old.

He was smart and happy. He had a great owner, but he was dying from cancer, and wanted to make sure he had a good home for him before he passed away.

So check out local animal rescue groups. They have ones for just about any type of bread you can think off: German Shepard Rescue, Yellow Lab rescue, Huskie Rescue, etc...

So you can get the breed you want, do a good deed, and save money.

Labs are great.

Get a field lab not English, they stay and act like puppies a lot longer. They are good with children of all ages. very loyal, very friendly. However they need a "job" or they get bored and can get into mischief. The fields look sleeker and not "round" like the English. Also you don't have a big problem with shedding that you will with Goldens or Black coated retrievers.

Now Golden and Black Coats are great dogs also and very similar tempermant. Just the hair issue. Also with the black coats finding one and getting a breeder to sell you one is a whole other story.

All three are not good guard dogs unless you want the robber to be drowned by slobber.

Oh yeah, our lab was basically housebroken when we got him from the breeder at 9 weeks. Almost every mistake has been our fault for not paying attention. He has made only one mistake in his crate ever. He is now 5 months old and probably has only had one mistake in the house in the last month and a half.

270434[/snapback]

Bernese Mountain Dog. Great with kids, only barks at strangers.

Rottweillers are good family dogs, the one we have is a great animal, a gentle giant.

270451[/snapback]

I have a Rott and a Mastiff (both large dogs 130+ each) and they are excellent dogs. They both love children and are very careful around them (nephews 2 1/2 and 4 months). They just love them. They are also very protective of their family. I always feel better leaving my wife home knowing that I have the two "boys" home with her. We are expecting in May, and our Rott already senses something different. He will go into the nursery and look around everyday, like he's waiting. As stated, I would recommend these dogs anyday!

Rottweillers are good family dogs.....They love children and are very careful around them

I have seen two different Rotts attack familiar people for no reason whatsoever. One of them was me and I wouldn't let me my kids near one of those dumb beasts for any reason whatsoever.

Cya

I have seen two different Rotts attack familiar people for no reason whatsoever. One of them was me and I wouldn't let me my kids near one of those dumb beasts for any reason whatsoever.

Cya

270504[/snapback]

That is probably because some people are attracted to Rotts because of their rep and then (mis)treat/train them, so these arseholes turn the rotts into arsehole dogs. A well trained rott (they are a smart breed so it is easy to train (or mis-train) them) is considered an excellent family pet that will also guard the home from intruders.

Bernese Mountain Dog.  Great with kids, only barks at strangers.

270488[/snapback]

Mickey, you live further North though. We looked at these and my child wanted one, but a friend who trains and breeds dogs said they struggle more the further south you go. I expect that ncdawg is in North Carolina, and that is further south then me

I agree great dogs, but have to consider the climate and enviroment as well.

That is probably because some people are attracted to Rotts because of their rep and then (mis)treat/train them, so these arseholes turn the rotts into arsehole dogs. A well trained rott (they are a smart breed so it is easy to train (or mis-train) them) is considered an excellent family pet that will also guard the home from intruders.

In both cases the owners were smart, responsible people who had properly trained and cared for the dog its entire life. In my case I had known the dog almost its whole life, was actually the one who held it the entire 2hr drive home from the breeeder, played with it on a regular basis and had always treated it with respect and affection. One night at camp while I was sitting'n'sipping by the fire, it bit me in the face for no reason whatsoever.

Once might be an anomoly, but I saw it happen again with another well-trained Rott that had a kind owner. There's many breeds to pick from and it's just not worth taking the chance with kids. For a family pet I'm partial to labs ('cept chocolate as they tend to be a little glitchy sometimes).

Cya

270434[/snapback]

I agree with VABills (would never happen on the ppp board :lol: ) on the subject on Labradors - they are great family dogs and almost totally reliable. As he says, they're not really the best guard dogs (though they can certainly bark loud enough). Boxers are great dogs - good guard dogs but also very good family dogs and reliable with children.