A good family dog?

NCDAWG

That is probably because some people are attracted to Rotts because of their rep and then (mis)treat/train them, so these arseholes turn the rotts into arsehole dogs. A well trained rott (they are a smart breed so it is easy to train (or mis-train) them) is considered an excellent family pet that will also guard the home from intruders.

270505[/snapback]

My worry with Rottweilers (and other heavy, powerfull breeds) is that, if they do turn on you, you've got big problems - their jaws are just so powerful that they can do far more damage than say a German Shepherd for example.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Labs are AWESOME -- had one from puppy 'til death

Now we have a StBernard -- our St. is even better than the lab was. The best part is that they don't eat anymore than the lab because she is less active during indoor time. When we take her out, she's just as active, but then she crashes inside. Use her for a TV pillow, etc. And we can't roughhouse with the kids like we used to. She won't allow it!

I guess it depends on how much exersize and attention you will be able to give them and the size you think your family can handle. I've always been partial to Labs, Goldens and Cocker Spaniels. I also like Newfoundlands, but they are quite big.

We have a cocker spaniel right now - about a year old - and she is awesome. Very affectionate & pretty damn smart. She's black & white. If you decide to go the Cocker route, stay away from the tan colored ones. They have a tendency to have more problems than others because for a while that color was very desirable and they were overbred.

Sophie is great with kids and loves other dogs & people.

Here's some pictures of her:

http://vallie.com/pictures/soph/

I have dobies my whole life.  Had to put my last one down about six months ago.  My wife and daughter would like another dog, but all I know is Dobermans.  I could do research but there are some many breed and was wondering if any of you could suggest a good inside, family breed of dog...kinda point me in the right direction. Thanks

270434[/snapback]

My worry with Rottweilers (and other heavy, powerfull breeds) is that, if they do turn on you, you've got big problems - their jaws are just so powerful that they can do far more damage than say a German Shepherd for example.

270512[/snapback]

I think everyone has had a bad experience with at least one type of dog. For me, it was the German Shepherd. the only dog I've EVER been bitten by on a couple different occasions. I have had good experiences with a few but I'm just sayin that you tend to remember something like that.

I've had pretty much positive experiences with Rotties, Pits, Labs, St. Bernards and Goldens. That said, I'd be less worried if the Lab or Golden got snippy than if the other 3 did. Lets face it, a Pit Bull is a dog with a shark's head and if it wants, it can pretty much kill you any time it wants to.

I've found the best breed if you don't want digging in your yard, a risk of biting or attacking your kids, tearing up your house, having to walk it and needing a dog sitter when you leave overnight is...........

a cat

:lol:

Rots and Pitbulls are for guys with little wangers who want to feel like a big man. Just go to the pound and save a dog or puppy. Growing up, I had a Golden Retriever, a Shepard and I now have a little Rat Terrior. All were great dogs. All pound dogs.

270534[/snapback]

Er...our Rott is one that a young lady had and could not cope with the havoc it caused in her tiny flat as a puppy (chewing damage and lots of poop pile presents for her, she also did not exercise it enough, no temperament issues with him though). So it was in effect a rescue dog. And most of our other dogs have been 'rescued' dogs as well, and not 'macho' breeds either. The rott has been the best of the bunch (and the others were great dogs as well).

American Pitbulls are a really nasty breed (unlike Staffordshire Pitbulls that have a great temperament), so I will kind of agree with you on that point.

The only dogs I have had problems with was a cocker Spaniel and a terrier cross. One bad bite and one nip.

We have a golden ret./chow mix. Sweetest, smartest, funniest, prettiest dog I've ever known. She's real skittish around 5-6 year olds and fireworks since her 1st 4th of July with us. She was a rescue pup, so I don't know her history. But she is amazing around our 2 year old toddler. Very affectionate and protective.

Our dog trainer/behavior expert says she'll grow accustomed to kids etc. She already is pals with our neighbor kids. Our DT says kids and toodlers walk funny so they freak her out. But she's learning that they're fine. Which I think is key. They can be trained and will die trying to please you.

Biggest coward - but extremely courageous - she once stood between us and a building contractor and gave him a s**t scare. I think if we weren't there she would have ran up on the deck and hid. But because she felt *we* were threatened - she stood her ground. So she can fake being fierce but she really is chicken.

Sheds hair like nobody's business - so if you hate vacuuming/cleaning this is not the dog for you. But if you like them smart and energetic this is a home run. She was super active, high energy the first year - so lots, lots of exercise. Now she's calmer - she's 4 yrs old. But, that first 6 mos. she was a challenge and I thought my wife was gonna give her to gypsies.

Still your arm will fall out throwing her a ball before she tires of it.

Bottom line - any dog can be trained to be well behaved - some are easier than others. I think being around dogs a lot - I can safely say these are your best family bets:

1) small dogs - pugs

2) mid - choc/black labs - yellows as well - but they're all hyper as pups esp yellows. If you can stomach the hair - golden retrievers are it on a stick. I think the AKC recommends them as best all around family dogs.

3) large - Great Pyrenees(sp?). One of my favorite breeds. Best combo family/guard dog in my book. They were bred as herding dogs and can fight off bears.

Ask your local vet or trainer for more info. One more thing is depending on where you live, some breeds may not be good fits. So a Huskie in AZ is a bad, bad idea...

Charles

Its the fools that raise these Rotts improperly that make the dog what it is. In my extended family alone we have four Rotts. These dogs are the kindest, friendliest dogs I have ever been around. I worked at a vet when I was younger for a few years and you want to know what the nastiest dogs we had there were...Cocker Spaniels. Those little SOB's were NASTY. I know people have had bad experiences with Rotts, but dont damn the breed because of these. All dogs can go bad, not just Rotts.

I have 3 young children and have 2 dogs.

I have a pure bread Shepherd. He has been one of the best dogs I have ever had. Loyal pretective and will let the kids sit on his head if they wanted to very gentile.

I also have a mix breed Shepherd/Doberman. Sounds funny but she is a wonderful dog as well. has all the looks othe Dobie and the temperment of the Shepherd.

I've found the best breed if you don't want digging in your yard, a risk of biting or attacking your kids, tearing up your house, having to walk it and needing a dog sitter when you leave overnight is...........

a cat

:lol:

270556[/snapback]

Yeah if you want to smell Sh*t in your house all the time and have a pet that is loads of fun (Sarcasm) get a cat. I can not think of better way to have fun with your pet then to watch it sleep or lick itself?

wooohooo

Go to the pound and rescue a dog. I promise you won't be sorry. You will have a dog that will appreciate life more than anything. Probably the smartest dogs around......pound dogs.

270460[/snapback]

[/quo

I take it you don't get out much to make this silly statement. I have been breeding dogs for 30yrs I have ran my dogs in field trials and hunt test. When your a responsible breeder you breed the best (BRAINS) performers to the best. You have to have Xrays done for OFA which is for hip problems. Then you need to clear your dogs eye's (cataracts) and get a OFA # there is also DNA testing for numerous other diseases. With most good breeders they are dishing out the big bucks so YOU the puppy buyer can have the best care free dog possible and when you go to a shelter or pet store its a crap shoot you could get a great dog or you could get a medical nightmare. Vets charge the same for muts or purebreds. You need to go to a field trial (pointers or retrievers)or even go watch a herding trial with Border Collies now that my freind are some smart dogs. I know you will come back and say my dog can do that. Now I am not saying that certain muts couldn't do it but your chances are alot higher with a dog that was breed to do it. So in closing I would say buy a dog from a good breeder with a health guarantee and 9 out 10 times you will end up paying less in the long run. I also want to say to the people who do get there dogs from the shelters THANK YOU for giving these dogs homes.

Its the fools that raise these Rotts improperly that make the dog what it is.  In my extended family alone we have four Rotts.  These dogs are the kindest, friendliest dogs I have ever been around.  I worked at a vet when I was younger for a few years and you want to know what the nastiest dogs we had there were...Cocker Spaniels.  Those little SOB's were NASTY.  I know people have had bad experiences with Rotts, but dont damn the breed because of these.  All dogs can go bad, not just Rotts.

270599[/snapback]

The thing is, if a Cocker spaniel attacks me, I like to think I have a reasonable chance of fighting it off. If a rottweiler attacks me ...

Oh look, the same tired stereotypes repeated throughout a thread.

The biggest problem large breed working dogs have in America is capitalism. There are bucks to be made selling dogs like Rotts and Pits so they are extremely overbread by people trying to make a buck who are bought by people trying to save money.

Instead of weeding out the bad traits and only breeding the animals with good temperment and health, we end up with genetic mutants who have chronic health problems and are untrustworthy.

As for saying anyone who owns a certain type of dog has a small wanger, stereotypes suck.

I'm gonna go out of the mainstream and suggest my favortie breed, Italian Greyhound. They're pretty much shrunken version of greyhounds, and are just as fast, and just as smart. Very loyal, very attached to owners. They dont bark (unless playing or threatened) and need very little grooming (don't shed either).

This is a great low maintenence dog, that only needs excercise, and care in colder weather. I love mine to death:

My dog napping

My dog in bed

I'm gonna go out of the mainstream and suggest my favortie breed, Italian Greyhound. They're pretty much  shrunken version of greyhounds, and are just as fast, and just as smart. Very loyal, very attached to owners. They dont bark (unless playing or threatened) and need very little grooming (don't shed either).

This is a great low maintenence dog, that only needs excercise, and care in colder weather. I love mine to death:

My dog napping

My dog in bed

270643[/snapback]

Damn man, that dog needs its front nails cut! Cute, though.

Damn man, that dog needs its front nails cut!  Cute, though.

270650[/snapback]

Its a vicious killing machine!!!!

ACtually, its real demeanor is more of an attention whore. I sit and watch TV, and not more than 5 seconds after I sit, he jumps into my lap and snuggles up. What's great is taking him outside and letting him run. WOW! Get him to a full sprint and its a mazing seeing him go!