Joe B's Ranking of the Top Five QBs for the Bills

Mayfield last is a joke.

After the combine there is a legit top 4 and then a decent separation.

Baker

Darnold

Rosen

Allen

Jackson is probably a fifth, but I wouldn't take him before late first

Rudolph is now fighting for the sixth with guys like Mike White, Luke Falk and Kyle Lauletta. I personally think Rudolph offers very little in terms of skills that can make a franchise QB.  I think guys like White, Falk and Lauletta actually offer more.

I was very high on Allen but after reading this article I'm thinking the Bills might be better off staying put and drafting Mason Rudolph.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/158dc1d9-864a-391b-b938-d3dfddfd26fb/despite-not-being-a-huge.html

and

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/3/17073246/mason-rudolph-draft-oklahoma-state-qb-2018

"At his press conference at the league’s scouting combine on Friday, a reporter asked Rudolph how he’d answer the criticism that he’d only faced “statues in the secondary” in a lightly defended conference. Rudolph was blunt about it.

“Well,” he started, “we played Colorado, Washington, and Virginia Tech, and we beat the crap out of all of them in [bowl games]. Those aren’t Big 12 defenses, and we played pretty well against those guys. So you throw on that tape, and I think that’ll kill that argument right there.”

Starting to really like Rudolph. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

I was very high on Allen but after reading this article I'm thinking the Bills might be better off staying put and drafting Mason Rudolph.

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/158dc1d9-864a-391b-b938-d3dfddfd26fb/despite-not-being-a-huge.html

and

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/3/3/17073246/mason-rudolph-draft-oklahoma-state-qb-2018

"At his press conference at the league’s scouting combine on Friday, a reporter asked Rudolph how he’d answer the criticism that he’d only faced “statues in the secondary” in a lightly defended conference. Rudolph was blunt about it.

“Well,” he started, “we played Colorado, Washington, and Virginia Tech, and we beat the crap out of all of them in [bowl games]. Those aren’t Big 12 defenses, and we played pretty well against those guys. So you throw on that tape, and I think that’ll kill that argument right there.”

Starting to really like Rudolph. 

Rudolph in the 1st round is a no go for me.  

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Lol, This Is Why Joe B Got Booted From GR.

Baker Is Number One.

How anyone can have Allen ahead of Mayfield is beyond me.  I honestly would not take Allen before the 3rd rd.  Reminds me so much of Kyle Boller.  Strong arm, but not very accurate and his football IQ was questionable.  But the Ravens took him in the 1st after they took Suggs.  They gave up a first in the next year's draft to trade back up for him and Newsome has never done that again.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, NewEraBills said:

How anyone can have Allen ahead of Mayfield is beyond me.  I honestly would not take Allen before the 3rd rd.  Reminds me so much of Kyle Boller.  Strong arm, but not very accurate and his football IQ was questionable.  But the Ravens took him in the 1st after they took Suggs.  They gave up a first in the next year's draft to trade back up for him and Newsome has never done that again.

It's a higher ceiling with a long view. Not difficult to understand at all.  

1 minute ago, MOVALLEYRANDY said:

Before his illness he still did

I couldn't disagree more. JK matured and evolved personally long before he became ill. He was a much different guy when he finished playing for the Bills than he was when he arrived. 

On 3/2/2018 at 1:11 PM, Jay_Fixit said:

Rosen:

The good for Buffalo:

Big hands (needed for the weather)

Big Arm (combined with the hands, Good for spinning it in wind etc)

Accurate

But have to balance vs:

Statue in the pocket 

Potential personality issues

The statue in the pocket thing is the only issue I have with Rosen

7 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

I couldn't disagree more. JK matured and evolved personally long before he became ill. He was a much different guy when he finished playing for the Bills than he was when he arrived. 

Don't want to make a big deal about because he is 13 days older than me and my favorite player ever, other than Jack Kemp. But a several years ago a TBD employee told me that when Jim showed up he was always wanting something and a few people joking would try to guess what he would be taking home next. This was early 2000's just saying he wasn't the most popular ex-Bill. No biggie--- long time ago.

14 hours ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Rudolph in the 1st round is a no go for me.  

Just sayin. QBs usually always get drafted earlier than they should and if you read the article it looks like the Steelers are very interested in Rudolph. Plus, they already have Landry Jones on the roster. Remember the last time the Steelers beat out the Buffalo Bills on a QB and who Buffalo eventually ended up with? 

Besides, he is listed as tied for fifth in Mike Mayock's top 5 QB's and that other fifth is Jackson. Most mock drafts have both those guys going in the first round considering that there are at the least seven teams with a desperate need for an upgrade at QB There could be as many as 12 teams looking to draft QBs early this year and this year could surpass 1983 as the best QB class ever. 

1 minute ago, Nihilarian said:

Just sayin. QBs usually always get drafted earlier than they should and if you read the article it looks like the Steelers are very interested in Rudolph. Plus, they already have Landry Jones on the roster. Remember the last time the Steelers beat out the Buffalo Bills on a QB and who Buffalo eventually ended up with? 

Besides, he is listed as tied for fifth in Mike Mayock's top 5 QB's and that other fifth is Jackson. Most mock drafts have both those guys going in the first round considering that there are at the least seven teams with a desperate need for an upgrade at QB There could be as many as 12 teams looking to draft QBs early this year and this year could surpass 1983 as the best QB class ever. 

I posted earlier that QBs are often overdrafted.  The result all too often isn't a good one as evidenced by past Bills' selections like Losman and Manuel with others teams making the same mistakes on guys like Lynch and Hackenberg.   

I can't see this class coming close to matching 1983. 

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 8:22 AM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, and had a learning curve - threw his OL under the bus in the "bickering Bills" year

The good old days of the "bickering bills". A lot of strong characters creating a caldron full of volatility. The coaches weren't the demurring type of people either. 

https://www.buffalorumblings.com/2011/6/20/2228738/bickering-bills

Edited by JohnC