Looking for a new TV, looking g for advice

mrags

44 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’d definately go with the 900f over the 900e too. The problem is the 900f is $3999 for the 75” and the 900e is $2499 for the 75”. The 900f is replacing the 940e. So yeah, I’d rather have the F but for the price, I just don’t know how. 

The updates for only the apps and not the inputs is an issue. And that brings me back to the Samsung Q7 now because the separate box for all their inputs can be replaced in the future. 

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!   This is a never ending revolving door or crap now. 

Which tv are you talking about in regards to playing around with the black levels compared to the LED? The Samsung? 

Yaah, I know the 900e isn’t close to the Z9 but for that price I just don’t think I can do it 

The Sony's beat the sh!t out of the Samsung honestly. I had $1200 worth of Samsung gift cert's for TVs as well, bought a $600 55" for my bedroom and gave the other $600 to my sister. My original intent was to just get a Sammy, but as I researched and went to see. I couldn't pull the trigger for it to be my main TV. Going down this rabbit hole resulted in me only wanting to spend about $1500 of my own money to spending $3499 + $300 tax for the Z9 and the Oppo...

I agree with Alaska, the Android Operating system needs some love, but I am used to it now, so not a big issue.

Black Levels:

"Outside these challenging if infrequent examples, the Bravia KD-65ZD9 put up a credible fight against OLED in the black level department. Helped by 648-zone local dimming and exemplary halo suppression, the Sony managed to hold its own in this shot containing a bright logo surrounded by black backdrop:

Where the ZD9 edged ahead of the OLED was in the area just above black. As Sandra Bullock was hurling through space in Gravity, her silhouette appeared more distinct against the night sky, even if the LG OLED rendered the stars brighter and the blacks deeper. To reveal similar amounts of shadow detail, the LG’s [Brightness] and gamma would have to be adjusted to such an extent that the 0 cd/m2 blacks were ruined, or near-black artefacts were harshly exposed.

The Sony 65ZD9 also handled above-black region in a cleaner fashion than the LG OLED. In Skyfall (one of the best Blu-ray transfers of all time), the LG delivered the sequence where Raoul Silva (Javier Bardem) approached the chapel with more depth and dimensionality, but we could see the pixels dancing away in the night sky, whereas it looked more stable and less noisy on the Sony."

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/kd65zd9-201610164372.htm

Btw - not trying to steer you one way or the other, just trying to share what I went through and my thoughts at that time...

Edited by Reed83HOF

2 hours ago, mrags said:

I’d definately go with the 900f over the 900e too. The problem is the 900f is $3999 for the 75” and the 900e is $2499 for the 75”. The 900f is replacing the 940e. So yeah, I’d rather have the F but for the price, I just don’t know how. 

The updates for only the apps and not the inputs is an issue. And that brings me back to the Samsung Q7 now because the separate box for all their inputs can be replaced in the future. 

Grrrrrrrrrr!!!!   This is a never ending revolving door or crap now. 

Which tv are you talking about in regards to playing around with the black levels compared to the LED? The Samsung? 

Yaah, I know the 900e isn’t close to the Z9 but for that price I just don’t think I can do it 

Wow. That's a massive difference in price. I just can't justify spending that on a tv, especially when new technology is constantly coming out (which is another reason I'm looking at smaller tv sizes - more bang for your buck). 

Honestly, if you're deadset on the 75" I'd just get that 900e. I've read a lot of articles saying that was one of the best LED TVs of 2017 and I've read a lot of great reviews by people who own them. 

It will still have HDR through the HDMI inputs (inputs 2 and 3 IIRC), just not Dolby vision (I doubt it'll be that big of a difference, I want it more to future proof myself is all). They are getting, or already got, an update to upgrade to HDR10, so I'm sure they're still going to have kick ass HDR. 

As as I mentioned in my other post, I've owned Sony TVs for well over a decade. I bought one of their first flat screen crt TVs (Sony Bravia) and I've been a Sony guy ever since. 

Currently i I have the Sony Bravia XBR6 55" 1080p tv and I swear to you that it looks as good or better than most of the 1080p TVs I see in the store today, and I think it actually looks better than some of the cheaper 4K TVs too TBH.

My XBR6 came out in 2008 IIRC. So about 10 years old now, and it's gotten tons of use gaming, watching tv, movies, blue ray etc. and it still kicks ass. 

Edit - was just thinking about what you mentioned about the Samsung. wanted to mention that the Dolby vision thing doesn't really have anything to do with the actual HDMI inputs on the Sony tv's. They still support hdr. The 900e's chip just doesn't support Dolby vision. And the 900f will receive a firmware update with Dolby vision. 

The only thing off hand that that I can think of that the Samsung hdmi box would be good for is hdmi 2.1. But the thing is that q7 wouldn't support all the features hdmi 2.1 has anyway. 

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

So what you are saying about the 900f, is exactly why I went with the Z9d. There will be a software update for Dolby Vision to work on the Z9d via HDMI & USB, but as of now it looks like it will rely on the 3rd pparty hardware manufacturers to help. Thankfully Oppo (which is an amazing player btw.) is all on top of this and as of now Dolby Vision isn't a huge problem at all...

" “In January 2018, Sony will release a software update enabling Dolby Vision on select TV models (U.S. model series: Z9D, A1E, X930E, X940E). After the Sony TV receives the software update, devices with Dolby Vision playback (such as streaming media players and UHD Blu-Ray players) that are connected to the Sony TV by HDMI will also require a software update to support Dolby Vision playback through the device. For more information on the timing of a software update for your device, please contact the player device manufacturer.” "

Finally, let’s turn to Oppo’s succinct but fortunately promising response: “OPPO is working with Dolby and [chip maker] MTK to overcome this issue. We do not have a timescale as to when we will have a fix, but it is a priority.”

So the good news here is that Oppo is clearly committed to delivering the necessary update to make its 4K Blu-ray players compatible with Sony’s DV TVs. The bad news is that it’s a collaborative process that appears to still be in its relatively early stages, with no ‘end date’ in sight.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/01/24/sony-tv-dolby-vision-problem-update-sony-and-oppo-respond/#17449a25498a

You are a smart person and entirely correct. I would be itching for anything over 75" inches next time and those friggin TVs get crazy expensive at that point....

Yeah it sounds like Sony did a horrible job rolling out their Dolby vision update. It makes me just a little hesitant to buy one right now. Sounds like they still don't have it worked out even on the new 2018 models that will be released in a couple weeks. 

Im not even sure how many things I'd watch, or games I'd play, that have Dolby vision yet anyway. As long as I can still run my Xbox with hdr Iim sure I'd be happy. 

Im not going to lie, I'm a bit jealous you got that z9d. That's been the tv I wanted for a while now. I just can't bring myself to spend almost $4k for a 55" tv. It is an absolutely amazing tv though. 

Edited by BillsFan4

36 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Wow. That's a massive difference in price. I just can't justify spending that on a tv, especially when new technology is constantly coming out (which is another reason I'm looking at smaller tv sizes - more bang for your buck). 

Honestly, if you're deadset on the 75" I'd just get that 900e. I've read a lot of articles saying that was one of the best LED TVs of 2017 and I've read a lot of great reviews by people who own them. 

It will still have HDR through the HDMI inputs (inputs 2 and 3 IIRC), just not Dolby vision (I doubt it'll be that big of a difference, I want it more to future proof myself is all). They are getting, or already got, an update to upgrade to HDR10, so I'm sure they're still going to have kick ass HDR. 

As as I mentioned in my other post, I've owned Sony TVs for well over a decade. I bought one of their first flat screen crt TVs (Sony Bravia) and I've been a Sony guy ever since. 

Currently i I have the Sony Bravia XBR6 55" 1080p tv and I swear to you that it looks as good or better than most of the 1080p TVs I see in the store today, and I think it actually looks better than some of the cheaper 4K TVs too TBH.

My XBR6 came out in 2008 IIRC. So about 10 years old now, and it's gotten tons of use gaming, watching tv, movies, blue ray etc. and it still kicks ass. 

Yeah it sounds like Sony did a horrible job rolling out their Dolby vision update. It makes me just a little hesitant to buy one right now. Sounds like they still don't have it worked out even on the new 2018 models that will be released in a couple weeks. 

Im not even sure how many things I'd watch, or games I'd play, that have Dolby vision yet anyway. As long as I can still run my Xbox with hdr Iim sure I'd be happy. 

Im not going to lie, I'm a bit jealous you got that z9d. That's been the tv I wanted for a while now. I just can't bring myself to spend almost $4k for a 55" tv. It is an absolutely amazing tv though. 

I upgraded from a Sony KDL-55hx800 which honestly was a great TV, but I just felt it was time. I still can't believe I spent what I did on this TV (it is  65" btw), but it is the most amazing piece of technology I have ever bought. Video Games are amazing (even madden looks amazing), 4K movies (especially Deadpool & The Revanent), 3D is the best I have ever seen.

I'm actually glad I didn't cheap out for once and got what I really wanted. (Not saying you are - just finally said F' it and lets do it). My rationalization was based on keeping it for 5 years and I was all in for about $3900, which over 5 years works out to about $65/ month or about $2.13/day. I might be an idiot, but that is how I sold it to the misses and myself!

Edited by Reed83HOF

55 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Edit - was just thinking about what you mentioned about the Samsung. wanted to mention that the Dolby vision thing doesn't really have anything to do with the actual HDMI inputs on the Sony tv's. They still support hdr. The 900e's chip just doesn't support Dolby vision. And the 900f will receive a firmware update with Dolby vision. 

The only thing off hand that that I can think of that the Samsung hdmi box would be good for is hdmi 2.1. But the thing is that q7 wouldn't support all the features hdmi 2.1 has anyway. 

That damn Reed83 is really making me feel like I need the Z9D. It’s a huge difference in price especially considering it’s the 65” vs the 75”. But after looking at it, $3499 isn’t that terrible. I just don’t know when I’ll be able to afford it. So I may hold off a little bit. End of March or beginning of April might be in the cards for me. In the end, I’ll get a chance to view the new 900F if I wait anyway. 

26 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I upgraded from a Sony KDL-55hx800 which honestly was a great TV, but I just felt it was time. I still can't believe I spent what I did on this TV (it is  65" btw), but it is the most amazing piece of technology I have ever bought. Video Games are amazing (even madden looks amazing), 4K movies (especially Deadpool & The Revanent), 3D is the best I have ever seen.

I'm actually glad I didn't cheap out for once and got what I really wanted. (Not saying you are - just finally said F' it and lets do it). My rationalization was based on keeping it for 5 years and I was all in for about $3900, which over 5 years works out to about $65/ month or about $2.13/day. I might be an idiot, but that is how I sold it to the misses and myself!

Just stop. You sold me. Lol. 

Im sure my mind will change more times in the next coming days and everything but I feel like I’m gonna hold out for the Z9D and if that doesn’t actually happen, not emoney in my TV pot will have been collected and I’ll make the decision when it comes. 

• Like (+1) 2

Was just looking through info on the new technology release that this year's CES. 

Check this out - 

https://www.digit.in/mobile-phones/ces-2018-sony-showcases-next-gen-x1-ultimate-processor-for-use-in-future-lcd-oled-tvs-39022.html

Sony showcased its next generation pictures processors for it TVs at CES 2018. Called the X1 Ultimate, the company claims that the new processor will offer twice the real-time processing power of the X1 Extreme being using in its current lineup of TVs. The new processor will work with LCD and OLED displays, and is currently only in the prototype stage. The biggest difference between the Sony’s X1 Extreme and the X1 Ultimate processor is how both process the image. The X1 Extreme processes any content frame-by-frame. However, the X1 Ultimate is object-based. So it will render each object separately in any given frame.

Doesn't sound like it'll be out until 2019 though. I'm not sure if I can wait that long. I just know I'll be pissed if I buy a tv now and then I see the same model a year later with this x1 ultimate chip that just blows my tv out of the water. lol

Eh, it's kind of like that every year though. I would drive myself nuts if I always looked at the next "latest and greatest" thing to come out. Although that new chip does sound like a huge upgrade. Twice the processing power is quite a huge step up. 

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

That damn Reed83 is really making me feel like I need the Z9D. It’s a huge difference in price especially considering it’s the 65” vs the 75”. But after looking at it, $3499 isn’t that terrible. I just don’t know when I’ll be able to afford it. So I may hold off a little bit. End of March or beginning of April might be in the cards for me. In the end, I’ll get a chance to view the new 900F if I wait anyway. 

Never a bad idea to just wait if you're unsure of a purchase. There's nothing I hate more than regretting an expensive purchase, and/or feeling like I made the wrong choice. 

I really want that z9d too, but I just can't get over that price. Not when I can get the 55" model 1 step down for a little over $2000 less (as the z9 isn't available in 55") when all is said and done. 

Maybe when more content is available in 4K and HDR I'll step up to the z9. But by then OLED and/or MicroLED will probably have taken over. 

Although id be lying if I said I wasn't at least considering that z9d a little bit... lol. 

Wonder if they'll have any clearance models when the 2018 sets come out? Doubt it since I don't believe anything changed on that set for 2018. 

9 minutes ago, mrags said:

Just stop. You sold me. Lol. 

Im sure my mind will change more times in the next coming days and everything but I feel like I’m gonna hold out for the Z9D and if that doesn’t actually happen, not emoney in my TV pot will have been collected and I’ll make the decision when it comes. 

Ha! Wasn't trying to influence you that much; I just know I drove myself and my wife nuts for a month or so. I finally realized that it just really depends on the features that mean the most to you and in the end - they are all pretty close. The side by side comparisons at best buy and AVS Forum sold me the most (Rtings didn't even review the damn TV until after I bought it...). It came down to picture quality between the Sony's and the brightness over the LG OLED; the Samsung was entirely out of the question at that point. I figured I could live without the deepest of all blacks, since you don't see total black all of the time and that is where this TV had the edge.

I looked at Sony's website for authorized retailers and went through all of them for the best price, when I found Value Electronics, I called to see what they could do; and found that you can negotiate with them a bit. What worked well for me was that even though they are NYC based and I am in LA, they had the Sony distributor out here send me mine, so I had it in 2 days. Also, and I was skeptical on this, I did save extra money when I paid them by doing a straight up deposit into their bank account instead of a CC transaction...very painless. 

14 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Eh, it's kind of like that every year though. I would drive myself nuts if I always looked at the next "latest and greatest" thing to come out.

And that is the problem, it changes every year. In the end 4K isn't a native signal for anyone yet, so what does the latest and greatest really do for you as far as processing power? It comes down to motion handling, color output, brightness, Blacks, Halo effects etc. The small incremental changes between now and then I don't think will be huge game changers since most of the 4k standards are set and pretty much everything from z9 chipset on will handle it. The next big upgrade in about 5 years or so will be 8K, bigger screen sizes, even thinner and be somewhat like this I imagine

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-unveils-the-wall-the-worlds-first-modular-microled-146-inch-tv

19 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Ha! Wasn't trying to influence you that much; I just know I drove myself and my wife nuts for a month or so. I finally realized that it just really depends on the features that mean the most to you and in the end - they are all pretty close. The side by side comparisons at best buy and AVS Forum sold me the most (Rtings didn't even review the damn TV until after I bought it...). It came down to picture quality between the Sony's and the brightness over the LG OLED; the Samsung was entirely out of the question at that point. I figured I could live without the deepest of all blacks, since you don't see total black all of the time and that is where this TV had the edge.

I looked at Sony's website for authorized retailers and went through all of them for the best price, when I found Value Electronics, I called to see what they could do; and found that you can negotiate with them a bit. What worked well for me was that even though they are NYC based and I am in LA, they had the Sony distributor out here send me mine, so I had it in 2 days. Also, and I was skeptical on this, I did save extra money when I paid them by doing a straight up deposit into their bank account instead of a CC transaction...very painless. 

And that is the problem, it changes every year. In the end 4K isn't a native signal for anyone yet, so what does the latest and greatest really do for you as far as processing power? It comes down to motion handling, color output, brightness, Blacks, Halo effects etc. The small incremental changes between now and then I don't think will be huge game changers since most of the 4k standards are set and pretty much everything from z9 chipset on will handle it. The next big upgrade in about 5 years or so will be 8K, bigger screen sizes, even thinner and be somewhat like this I imagine

https://news.samsung.com/global/samsung-unveils-the-wall-the-worlds-first-modular-microled-146-inch-tv

The chip is what processes all of your image content, as well as what upscale to 4K. It also handles things like frame rate, and provides the processing power for numerous other processes. So I'd imagine the new chip will create a noticeable difference. 

Edit - I just found an article with a short little section on the x1 ultimate image compared to the current gen. chips. There's not much info out yet.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-x1-ultimate

ultimately though, I don't think I can wait till 2019. I'm driving myself nuts enough already...  I've been thinking about buying one, ans reading all sorts of stuff for months now. 

16 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

The chip is what processes all of your image content, as well as what upscale to 4K. It also handles things like frame rate, and provides the processing power for numerous other processes. So I'd imagine the new chip will create a noticeable difference. 

Edit - I just found an article with a short little section on the x1 ultimate image compared to the current gen. chips. There's not much info out yet.

https://www.techradar.com/news/sony-x1-ultimate

ultimately though, I don't think I can wait till 2019. I'm driving myself nuts enough already...  I've been thinking about buying one, ans reading all sorts of stuff for months now. 

Shhhh...don't say that you'll make me want to upgrade again!

• Haha (+1) 1

https://tvevaluate.com/sony-x900f-vs-x930e/

found an interesring article discussing the differnces between the x930e and the x900f.

Sounds like the 930 might possibly be the better tv for hdr. 

I just looked it up - Peak brightness also also looks much brighter on the 930 vs the 900f (1400+ for the 930, and only 950 ish for the new 900). 

Edited by BillsFan4

TVs are now commodities...I really think it's foolish to overspend for the "latest and greatest."  Go to Costco and get whatever they're selling at the biggest size you want, download the THX Tune Up app, and you're likely to be very happy.

Just pulled the trigger on the 900e. Honestly, side by side with the oled it looked better than the OLED. The blacks weren’t as dark but the brights were off the charts better. 

The Z9D was better. But it wasn’t clear cut from where the TVs were sitting. I was about 10-12 ft away from each tv playing the same movie and it was very close. I know side by side it’s not comparable. But if it’s hard to tell in the store with low light in the Magnolia rooms, it’s going to be hard to tell in my living room. You could see it the most in the black levels and edging. 

At the end end of the day I saved some money. Bought a 4K player, a few movies, new HDMI cables. Etc. 

• Like (+1) 2

Nice!  For that price you couldn't go wrong. 

I am am sure you will love the tv. I know I told you how much I love my current Sony. 

Happy for you man! 

Did you get it at Best Buy?  Which one, if you don't mind me asking? How knowledgeable were the salesmen there? 

Not sure if you're going to pay to have a professional calibration done. But Here's some different professional calibration setting I found on the x900e -

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e/settings

http://best-tv-settings.com/tv-settings-sony-x900e-xe90/

https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/sony-xbr-65x900e-basic-picture-settings-and-hdr-notes/

There's plenty of videos on YouTube too. 

17 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

https://tvevaluate.com/sony-x900f-vs-x930e/

found an interesring article discussing the differnces between the x930e and the x900f.

Sounds like the 930 might possibly be the better tv for hdr. 

I just looked it up - Peak brightness also also looks much brighter on the 930 vs the 900f (1400+ for the 930, and only 950 ish for the new 900). 

I’m gonna say this.... now that this thing is at home I’m my living room, I feel like I need suntanning goggles to look at it. You don’t need to spend all the extra cake on the brighter 930. Just saying. Save some money and get the 900 home. Worst case, if you don’t like it you could always trade up 

4 hours ago, BillsFan4 said:

Nice!  For that price you couldn't go wrong. 

I am am sure you will love the tv. I know I told you how much I love my current Sony. 

Happy for you man! 

Did you get it at Best Buy?  Which one, if you don't mind me asking? How knowledgeable were the salesmen there? 

I got it at the Best Buy at the Galleria. I went o line last night and saw there was a Z9D open box for 2399. I was intending to pull the trigger on it. Except when I got there they said they didn’t have any. Apparently it pulls up open box items to any store working 250 miles. There was one at a store about 110miles away. 

I kade the guy jump through hoops for me today. Had him open up a 50ft HDMI cable to compare the Z9D and the 900e on the same programming. It really was hard to tell the differences. I know the Z is much better but for the lack of absolute difference between the 2 TVs i couldn’t justify spending the extra $1k. I ended up getting a Samsung 4k player cheap and then some other stuff. Gonna upgrade my PlayStation to the pro this week or in the coming weeks with the money I saved. 

• Like (+1) 2

Congrats,  can't wait for fergy, gugny, Cletus and Me to fall asleep on the couch watching it after spending hours  drinking your beer in the hot tub.  ????

Edited by mead107

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I’m gonna say this.... now that this thing is at home I’m my living room, I feel like I need suntanning goggles to look at it. You don’t need to spend all the extra cake on the brighter 930. Just saying. Save some money and get the 900 home. Worst case, if you don’t like it you could always trade up 

I got it at the Best Buy at the Galleria. I went o line last night and saw there was a Z9D open box for 2399. I was intending to pull the trigger on it. Except when I got there they said they didn’t have any. Apparently it pulls up open box items to any store working 250 miles. There was one at a store about 110miles away. 

I kade the guy jump through hoops for me today. Had him open up a 50ft HDMI cable to compare the Z9D and the 900e on the same programming. It really was hard to tell the differences. I know the Z is much better but for the lack of absolute difference between the 2 TVs i couldn’t justify spending the extra $1k. I ended up getting a Samsung 4k player cheap and then some other stuff. Gonna upgrade my PlayStation to the pro this week or in the coming weeks with the money I saved. 

Yeah I seen that z9d too. I was gonna tell you about it but then I seen it was 100+ miles away. lol

Sounds like you made the right choice. 

Im going to go sometimes soon to look at them again. I'll definitely give the 900e strong consideration. I like your idea of using the money saved to upgrade the PS4. I have the Xbox one S which plays in 4K (although not in native 4K), but my PS4 is just the regular one. 

Let me know what thr games look like in 4K HDR! 

20 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Yeah I seen that z9d too. I was gonna tell you about it but then I seen it was 100+ miles away. lol

Sounds like you made the right choice. 

Im going to go sometimes soon to look at them again. I'll definitely give the 900e strong consideration. I like your idea of using the money saved to upgrade the PS4. I have the Xbox one S which plays in 4K (although not in native 4K), but my PS4 is just the regular one. 

Let me know what thr games look like in 4K HDR! 

I played a few minutes of Madden and it was awesome. No chance to play CoD yet 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, mrags said:

I played a few minutes of Madden and it was awesome. No chance to play CoD yet 

If it looks awesome now Imagine what it'll look like in 4K with HDR! 

Do you have fallout 4? 

That was was the first game I played when I got my new Xbox. It blew me away, and that was only in 1080p. I can't even imagine what it'll look like in 4K. 

23 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

If it looks awesome now Imagine what it'll look like in 4K with HDR! 

Do you have fallout 4? 

That was was the first game I played when I got my new Xbox. It blew me away, and that was only in 1080p. I can't even imagine what it'll look like in 4K. 

No I don’t. The only games I play are Madden, COD, and GTA

5 minutes ago, mrags said:

Wait until you play Madden on the PS4Pro - huge upgrade. Horizon Zero Dawn (fun game and good story as well) is just amazing  on that setup...

Wait until you play Madden on the PS4Pro - huge upgrade. Horizon Zero Dawn (fun game and good story as well) is just amazing  on that setup...

Horizon zero dawn is one of the main reasons I decided to buy a PS4 when I had a relatively new Xbox one. I wasn't disappointed. One of my favorite games ever. 

3 hours ago, mrags said:

Youre missing out on a lot of good games! lol

Edited by BillsFan4

I seriously need sunglasses to watch this thing. I’m telling you, if you wanted bright, this is it. Wow. Lights up my whole room. I guess it helps it’s 75” and covers about a quarter of my wall. Light from everywhere. 

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Horizon zero dawn is one of the main reasons I decided to buy a PS4 when I had a relatively new Xbox one. I wasn't disappointed. One of my favorite games ever. 

Your missing out on a lot of good games! lol

I just don’t really want to get into anything else at all. Tried Battlefield 1 and didn’t like that either. Same with unchartered 

Played a little bit of COD today in the new TV. Man we’re the graffix awesome. So much better clarity. I was able to see players from much farther when I couldn’t see them before. I haven’t played in a while and boy was I rusty,  but I enjoyed playing regardless 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 2

On 3/1/2018 at 2:31 PM, mrags said:

Played a little bit of COD today in the new TV. Man we’re the graffix awesome. So much better clarity. I was able to see players from much farther when I couldn’t see them before. I haven’t played in a while and boy was I rusty,  but I enjoyed playing regardless 

Have you tried a 4k movie yet?

Have you tried a 4k movie yet?

I watched Baby Driver last night. Was pretty good. But I’ll say this, the other day I was flipping through hbo channels to see what was in and Warcraft was on. Boy was that about the most incredible picture quality I’ve ever seen on a TV. It looked like it was real. 

19 minutes ago, mrags said:

I watched Baby Driver last night. Was pretty good. But I’ll say this, the other day I was flipping through hbo channels to see what was in and Warcraft was on. Boy was that about the most incredible picture quality I’ve ever seen on a TV. It looked like it was real. 

Oh I haven't checked that out yet....

Deadpool, Guardians 2 are great as far as visuals with CGI. The Revenant, might be the most real move I have ever watched - feels like you are actually in the movie and in the wilderness...

On 3/2/2018 at 8:27 PM, Reed83HOF said:

Oh I haven't checked that out yet....

Deadpool, Guardians 2 are great as far as visuals with CGI. The Revenant, might be the most real move I have ever watched - feels like you are actually in the movie and in the wilderness...

Ok. So I’ve found a few flaws that are bothering me about the TV and make me rethink things. 

So, the other night right before bed, I decided I wanted to see what football was going to look like on the new set. So I opened up YouTube and searched for some 2017 highlights. 

Quickly I noticed a aura like bubble around anyone running around (seemed to go away after the video buffered a little) but what did not go away is when the ball is thrown. Once the ball leaves the fingertips of the QB, it almost disappears completely. When it is visible it is almost like a shadow, shifting across the screen like the processing is trying to catch up with the play. 

Now.... I know that because it is YouTube, it is most likely the reason why it’s an issue. But with there being no actual football on right now I’m getting nervous. There’s a replay of a game coming up on NFL network this week. I’m recording it and hoping it shows that I’m worried about nothing. 

But with all that said, I can’t stop thinking the Z9D is a significantly better set and I should bite the bullet and return this one for the Z9D. Another thing I found out is that of the 4 hdmi inputs on this TV, only 2 of them are 4K. 

Between that, the processor, and the better picture quality I’m really thinking about changing this thing up. 

Whats your thoughts? 

Edited by mrags

11 hours ago, mrags said:

Ok. So I’ve found a few flaws that are bothering me about the TV and make me rethink things. 

So, the other night right before bed, I decided I wanted to see what football was going to look like on the new set. So I opened up YouTube and searched for some 2017 highlights. 

Quickly I noticed a aura like bubble around anyone running around (seemed to go away after the video buffered a little) but what did not go away is when the ball is thrown. Once the ball leaves the fingertips of the QB, it almost disappears completely. When it is visible it is almost like a shadow, shifting across the screen like the processing is trying to catch up with the play. 

Now.... I know that because it is YouTube, it is most likely the reason why it’s an issue. But with there being no actual football on right now I’m getting nervous. There’s a replay of a game coming up on NFL network this week. I’m recording it and hoping it shows that I’m worried about nothing. 

But with all that said, I can’t stop thinking the Z9D is a significantly better set and I should bite the bullet and return this one for the Z9D. Another thing I found out is that of the 4 hdmi inputs on this TV, only 2 of them are 4K. 

Between that, the processor, and the better picture quality I’m really thinking about changing this thing up. 

Whats your thoughts? 

Sorry for the wall of text :) 

Wow no ****. You are going down a rabbit hole that drove me to spending a ton of money and saying - F it. This is one area where I did spend quite a bit of time looking at between OLED and the LED/LCD sets.  All sets and technology have their own problems right now - there is nothing perfected yet; so it comes down to what is "right" (you can live with) for you. Motion on the LG OLEDs are not as good and they aren't nearly as bright as the LED/LCD sets, which takes away from HDR a bit IMO and watching when the sun is out (My TV is in a living room and not a cave). The positive is that there is zero blooming and haloing (which is what you are seeing) and the deep blacks are well black as black can be. With the local dimming or FALD on the LED/LCDs you will have haloing/blooming going on and that is based on the number of zones you have, but man is the picture way brighter and more stunning IMO. They key is the number of zones which helps reduce this issue and why I felt comfortable with a Z9 over every other non-OLED TV as you will see below.

Forbes review of the 900e:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/08/sony-xbr-65x900e-kd-65xe9005-4k-tv-review-great-pictures-without-breaking-the-bank/#4fbd772313e6

In fact, Sony’s new X900E range (known as the XE9005 range in the UK) goes further than just using a direct LED lighting system; it also offers local dimming, where 20 separate LED zones can output different light levels independently of each other, to suit the demands of the picture. Admittedly 20 is far from a ground-breaking number of dimming zones by today’s standards. But it’s better than nothing and, as we’ll see, it’s enough to help the 65-inch 65X900E we’re looking at here deliver a mostly very impressive picture.

As you’d expect these days, the 65X900E partners its direct-lighting with high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities and a native 4K resolution, while picture processing comes courtesy of Sony’s previously impressive X1 chipset.

This chipset is not as powerful as the X1 Extreme one found in Sony’s step-up X930E, Z9D and OLED A1E models; it doesn’t carry a dual database system for improved HD-to-4K upscaling, and can’t have Dolby Vision HDR support added via a future firmware update. It’s still, though, got more going on than most TV processing systems.

In particular, it drives the local dimming system; Sony’s Triluminos technology for delivering a wider and more subtle color range; and Sony’s Super Bit Mapping feature for tackling HDR color banding problems.

To be clear, faint backlight haloing can appear for a good few centimeters around the most extreme bright highlights (there are only 20 dimming zones, after all). Occasionally, too, this light blooming distractingly encroaches into the black bars you get above and below very wide aspect ratio images, and it also becomes far more pronounced if you have to watch the image from a viewing angle of more than around 25 degrees.

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature is average on the Sony X900E. When set side by side with last year X930D, it is clearly an upgrade visually, and we recommend it for normal viewing. When set to maximum it can sometimes feel a bit aggressive. If you visually see that it too aggressive, you can set it to medium or low.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/x900e

For comparison here is the 930e forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/28/sony-xbr-55x930e-kdl-55xe9305-4k-tv-review-blaze-of-glory/#47d46d6e42f1

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.

When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better.

and finally the z9d

Consumer Reports:

The big question for Consumer Reports: Would this $6,000 LCD TV beat out the half-dozen LG OLED models that currently top Consumer Reports TV ratings?

After completing our full testing of the 65-inch Sony XBR-65Z9D, we can say that it's among the best TVs we've ever tested.

All LCD TVs require a separate backlight, which uses LEDs to illuminate the pixels in the screen. And there's always a certain amount of light leaking from the backlight. This can result in uneven brightness across the screen, and black tones that look somewhat gray. 

Many LCD TVs these days try to improve their blacks by offering degrees of local dimming, which can dim or brighten groups of LEDs in the backlight. Sony's new Backlight Master Drive technology takes this a step further. First, the Z-series models use a full-array backlight, with LEDs arranged across the entire back panel of the TV. That's different from most TVs, which use edge LED backlights, where the LEDs are placed along the sides or across the top and/or bottom of the TV. Full-array backlights are also used in some other premium sets, including the Sony X940D-series models, the Samsung flagship KS9800-series sets, and many Vizio models. What happens next is the unique part. In Sony's Backlight Master Drive, every single one of the LEDs can be controlled separately. Just about every other LCD TV we've ever tested groups a number of LEDs into a zone that can be dimmed or illuminated. Sony says it uses more LEDs than its competitors (it won't reveal how many), and each of the LEDs has a more precise, narrowly focused beam. That allows for brighter images and less light leakage, so there is less "blooming"—the halolike effect you often see around brighter images on TVs that use local dimming.

When it comes to black levels, Sony is trying to compete with OLED TVs, which use a different technology. These TVs have pixels that give off their own light. Each pixel in an OLED TV can be shut off, so you get nearly perfect blacks—a nighttime sky or shadowy corner can look much inkier and more realistic than what you'd see on a typical LCD.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/is-the-6000-dollar-sony-tv-really-a-tech-breakthrough/

Rtings Local Dimming:

The Sony Z9D has an excellent local dimming feature. In fact it is one of the best that we have tested yet, as it easily outperformed the Vizio P Series 2016 in a side by side comparison, which was the LED TV with the highest local dimming score in 2016.

The large number of dimming zones really sets the Z9D apart from other local dimming TVs, as blooming is very limited, even when a very bright highlight is displayed on the screen. The reaction time is also very fast, as the zone transitions are smooth when following the moving highlight in our test video.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d

(My note if you look around there is no real number for the number of zones in the z9d- many claim somewhere over 700 and a bit past 1,000)

Forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/30/sony-xbr-65z9d-kd-65zd9-review-tv-of-the-year/#7d54549b65c9

Check out 10k's post when he calibrated the tv in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html

With the z9 there are 4-4k HDMI inputs, but only 2 support HDR (Which is fine (My Oppo and my PS4 Pro)...Sunday Ticket through the PS4 Pro on this set was amazing...

Edited by Reed83HOF

52 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Sorry for the wall of text :) 

Wow no ****. You are going down a rabbit hole that drove me to spending a ton of money and saying - F it. This is one area where I did spend quite a bit of time looking at between OLED and the LED/LCD sets.  All sets and technology have their own problems right now - there is nothing perfected yet; so it comes down to what is "right" (you can live with) for you. Motion on the LG OLEDs are not as good and they aren't nearly as bright as the LED/LCD sets, which takes away from HDR a bit IMO and watching when the sun is out (My TV is in a living room and not a cave). The positive is that there is zero blooming and haloing (which is what you are seeing) and the deep blacks are well black as black can be. With the local dimming or FALD on the LED/LCDs you will have haloing/blooming going on and that is based on the number of zones you have, but man is the picture way brighter and more stunning IMO. They key is the number of zones which helps reduce this issue and why I felt comfortable with a Z9 over every other non-OLED TV as you will see below.

Forbes review of the 900e:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/05/08/sony-xbr-65x900e-kd-65xe9005-4k-tv-review-great-pictures-without-breaking-the-bank/#4fbd772313e6

In fact, Sony’s new X900E range (known as the XE9005 range in the UK) goes further than just using a direct LED lighting system; it also offers local dimming, where 20 separate LED zones can output different light levels independently of each other, to suit the demands of the picture. Admittedly 20 is far from a ground-breaking number of dimming zones by today’s standards. But it’s better than nothing and, as we’ll see, it’s enough to help the 65-inch 65X900E we’re looking at here deliver a mostly very impressive picture.

As you’d expect these days, the 65X900E partners its direct-lighting with high dynamic range (HDR) capabilities and a native 4K resolution, while picture processing comes courtesy of Sony’s previously impressive X1 chipset.

This chipset is not as powerful as the X1 Extreme one found in Sony’s step-up X930E, Z9D and OLED A1E models; it doesn’t carry a dual database system for improved HD-to-4K upscaling, and can’t have Dolby Vision HDR support added via a future firmware update. It’s still, though, got more going on than most TV processing systems.

In particular, it drives the local dimming system; Sony’s Triluminos technology for delivering a wider and more subtle color range; and Sony’s Super Bit Mapping feature for tackling HDR color banding problems.

To be clear, faint backlight haloing can appear for a good few centimeters around the most extreme bright highlights (there are only 20 dimming zones, after all). Occasionally, too, this light blooming distractingly encroaches into the black bars you get above and below very wide aspect ratio images, and it also becomes far more pronounced if you have to watch the image from a viewing angle of more than around 25 degrees.

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature is average on the Sony X900E. When set side by side with last year X930D, it is clearly an upgrade visually, and we recommend it for normal viewing. When set to maximum it can sometimes feel a bit aggressive. If you visually see that it too aggressive, you can set it to medium or low.

For comparison here is the 930e forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2017/02/28/sony-xbr-55x930e-kdl-55xe9305-4k-tv-review-blaze-of-glory/#47d46d6e42f1

Rtings on local dimming:

The local dimming feature of the X930E works surprisingly well for an edge-lit TV. Blooming still happens when there is a very bright highlight, but it looks much better than on the 2016 X930D when compared side by side, even though the X930E is much brighter. The local dimming reacts really fast and you don't really see the changing of zones when the small white dot is moving fast.

When compared to the X900E, a full array backlight TV with local dimming, the X930E local dimming feels more refined and in the end, the result looks a bit better.

and finally the z9d

Consumer Reports:

The big question for Consumer Reports: Would this $6,000 LCD TV beat out the half-dozen LG OLED models that currently top Consumer Reports TV ratings?

After completing our full testing of the 65-inch Sony XBR-65Z9D, we can say that it's among the best TVs we've ever tested.

All LCD TVs require a separate backlight, which uses LEDs to illuminate the pixels in the screen. And there's always a certain amount of light leaking from the backlight. This can result in uneven brightness across the screen, and black tones that look somewhat gray. 

Many LCD TVs these days try to improve their blacks by offering degrees of local dimming, which can dim or brighten groups of LEDs in the backlight. Sony's new Backlight Master Drive technology takes this a step further. First, the Z-series models use a full-array backlight, with LEDs arranged across the entire back panel of the TV. That's different from most TVs, which use edge LED backlights, where the LEDs are placed along the sides or across the top and/or bottom of the TV. Full-array backlights are also used in some other premium sets, including the Sony X940D-series models, the Samsung flagship KS9800-series sets, and many Vizio models. What happens next is the unique part. In Sony's Backlight Master Drive, every single one of the LEDs can be controlled separately. Just about every other LCD TV we've ever tested groups a number of LEDs into a zone that can be dimmed or illuminated. Sony says it uses more LEDs than its competitors (it won't reveal how many), and each of the LEDs has a more precise, narrowly focused beam. That allows for brighter images and less light leakage, so there is less "blooming"—the halolike effect you often see around brighter images on TVs that use local dimming.

When it comes to black levels, Sony is trying to compete with OLED TVs, which use a different technology. These TVs have pixels that give off their own light. Each pixel in an OLED TV can be shut off, so you get nearly perfect blacks—a nighttime sky or shadowy corner can look much inkier and more realistic than what you'd see on a typical LCD.

https://www.consumerreports.org/lcd-led-oled-tvs/is-the-6000-dollar-sony-tv-really-a-tech-breakthrough/

Rtings Local Dimming:

The Sony Z9D has an excellent local dimming feature. In fact it is one of the best that we have tested yet, as it easily outperformed the Vizio P Series 2016 in a side by side comparison, which was the LED TV with the highest local dimming score in 2016.

The large number of dimming zones really sets the Z9D apart from other local dimming TVs, as blooming is very limited, even when a very bright highlight is displayed on the screen. The reaction time is also very fast, as the zone transitions are smooth when following the moving highlight in our test video.

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/sony/z9d

(My note if you look around there is no real number for the number of zones in the z9d- many claim somewhere over 700)

Forbes review:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2016/09/30/sony-xbr-65z9d-kd-65zd9-review-tv-of-the-year/#7d54549b65c9

Check out 10k's post when he calibrated the tv in this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-lcd-flat-panel-displays/2545769-official-sony-xbr-65z9d-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-please-88.html

With the z9 there are 4-4k HDMI inputs, but only 2 support HDR (Which is fine (My Oppo and my PS4 Pro)...Sunday Ticket through the PS4 Pro on this set was amazing...

I’m recording a reply of a game today. In fact I think it starts in about an hour. If everything looks good I’m going to keep the tv. If it doesn’t and I cannot mess with the adjustments to make it look better I’ll be taking this one back and getting something else. At that point I’ll be looking at either the 940e, Z9D, or A1 oled. 

Im really hoping it looks ok but now that I’ve noticed this issue I am nitpicking everything about it. Your right, it’s a huge rabbit hole and there’s no real end and every tv has its ups and downs 

1 minute ago, mrags said:

I’m recording a reply of a game today. In fact I think it starts in about an hour. If everything looks good I’m going to keep the tv. If it doesn’t and I cannot mess with the adjustments to make it look better I’ll be taking this one back and getting something else. At that point I’ll be looking at either the 940e, Z9D, or A1 oled. 

Im really hoping it looks ok but now that I’ve noticed this issue I am nitpicking everything about it. Your right, it’s a huge rabbit hole and there’s no real end and every tv has its ups and downs 

I looked at everything for a month and a half before I pulled the trigger and really focused on what I could live with and what I couldn't live with...Going into this I was focused on an OLED (wanted one for a few years) since I knew blooming & halos would drive me crazy. Once I started looking the Z9 won. I was intrigued by the 930e/940e; but they weren't upgrades from the Z9. With the A1, there was no way I was waiting until it was released...

Btw -What city do you live in?

23 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I looked at everything for a month and a half before I pulled the trigger and really focused on what I could live with and what I couldn't live with...Going into this I was focused on an OLED (wanted one for a few years) since I knew blooming & halos would drive me crazy. Once I started looking the Z9 won. I was intrigued by the 930e/940e; but they weren't upgrades from the Z9. With the A1, there was no way I was waiting until it was released...

Btw -What city do you live in?

I was doing so much research on watching videos, reading reviews it was making my mind numb. In the end I went to Best Buy to look at the few sets side by side and that’s why I chose the 900e. Because based on price and qualify from what I saw, they were close enough to not justify spending an extra $1000-1500. But now that the 900 is sitting in my living room and it’s lookong great at times, things like watching football and I can’t see the ball when it’s in the air is an issue. If it wasn’t for that I could live with it. But that’s a big issue. 

I live in Lancaster 

Edited by mrags

24 minutes ago, mrags said:

I was doing so much research on watching videos, reading reviews it was making my mind numb. In the end I went to Best Buy to look at the few sets side by side and that’s why I chose the 900e. Because based on price and qualify from what I saw, they were close enough to not justify spending an extra $1000-1500. But now that the 900 is sitting in my living room and it’s lookong great at times, things like watching football and I can’t see the ball when it’s in the air is an issue. If it wasn’t for that I could live with it. But that’s a big issue. 

I live in Lancaster 

I hear you man, I was freaking out spending $$$$ like this. Still can't believe what I plunked down, but I don't regret it at all...

I also recommend this (I can lend it to you btw):

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Disc/dp/B00CKWI13O

I am assuming Lancaster, CA -if so and you want to take a trip down the 5 to LA you can come look and check out mine....If it's PA, well that is a bit of a drive :) 

7 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

I hear you man, I was freaking out spending $$$$ like this. Still can't believe what I plunked down, but I don't regret it at all...

I also recommend this (I can lend it to you btw):

https://www.amazon.com/Spears-Munsil-Benchmark-Calibration-Disc/dp/B00CKWI13O

I am assuming Lancaster, CA -if so and you want to take a trip down the 5 to LA you can come look and check out mine....If it's PA, well that is a bit of a drive :) 

Actually it’s Lancaster NY. Suburb of Buffalo. 

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I’ll just buy one on my own. How does it work? 

Edited by mrags

23 minutes ago, mrags said:

Actually it’s Lancaster NY. Suburb of Buffalo. 

Thanks for the offer. Maybe I’ll just buy one on my own. How does it work? 

LOL I forgot about over there as well!

It's very easy to use, you put the BluRay in and it shows you test patterns for red, blue, green, white black , gamma etc. and tells you what you should be able to see. This green box should be the same color as this green box, repeat with red, blue; the white should look like this, etc. It will help dial in the colors, brightness and such so you can calibrate it close enough without having to spend a **** ton of money on a professional calibration set up. Very easy...

8 hours ago, mrags said:

How does it look?

27 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

How does it look?

Not nearly as bad as the YouTube video was. The YouTube video seemed like every single pass. On this game on DTV it feels like any deep bombshell that have a lot of loft and velocity, and any short throws that are lasers. 

My buddy has the 930e and I had him record this game so that I can watch his as well. Oddly he said yesterday that he’s never had any issues but now he’s saying similar things but he believes it’s when the ball is thrown up deep you lose it in the lights. I think he is now ruined with his tv too. 

Now im gonna think about the oled again because they are awesome. Even though the burn in scares the piss out of me. 

10 minutes ago, mrags said:

Not nearly as bad as the YouTube video was. The YouTube video seemed like every single pass. On this game on DTV it feels like any deep bombshell that have a lot of loft and velocity, and any short throws that are lasers. 

My buddy has the 930e and I had him record this game so that I can watch his as well. Oddly he said yesterday that he’s never had any issues but now he’s saying similar things but he believes it’s when the ball is thrown up deep you lose it in the lights. I think he is now ruined with his tv too. 

Now im gonna think about the oled again because they are awesome. Even though the burn in scares the piss out of me. 

The problem is you both now see this forever....I did check on youtube at least and have no such issues on this set fwiw...I'm watching the Steelers Ravens reply on NFLN from this season, looks picture perfect....no ball tracking issues or bloom/haloing at all...