Mayock on WGR

39 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The lack of success that Washington has had, as you describe it, doesn't mean that he was a primary reason for it. The OL was battered with injuries and their run game was less than mediocre. Cousin was very often under duress and still he played well. As with Buffalo his receiver corps was very mediocre. You may find many liabilities in his game but without question Cousins is the qb who will be most in demand in the market. When he is allowed to officially hit the market there will be plenty of teams competing for his service. 

I have argued not to sign him because of the contract it will take to sign him. But if he was signed the Bills would be a significantly better team and instantly be a more serious team. 

Allowed to hit the market?  He's available, for all intents and purposes.

What will happen is that the teams that need a QB the most will take one in the first round of this QB rich draft.  That will leave far fewer teams who will be bidding for his services and that will drop his quote.

32 minutes ago, H2o said:

Oh yes, because all of the other FA options are better than Kirk. We are not ransoming the farm to move up to get Mayfield, Rosen, or Darnold. I just don't see it happening. I would rather have Cousins than Rudolph or Jackson as Cousins has already proven he can play pretty well in the NFL. If we could have a QB come in and put up those numbers imagine how the rest of the offense would look. I don't think that's setting the bar low at all my friend.

Washington is a team. Teams win as such and with solid coaching at every phase. Gruden hasn't really shown that much, the team lacks talent on both sides of the ball, and Kirk isn't a one man show. Some great QB's have been on some not so great teams at times over the years. 

Don't you think that's what the Redskins thought after saying "hey, we went 10-6 with RG3,  Cousins should put us over the top for the long term".  He wasn't a difference maker.

Some team while pay a lot for him.  If he's not signed before the draft, you will know his market value then.

Edited by Mr. WEO

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

Allowed to hit the market?  He's available, for all intents and purposes.

What will happen is that the teams that need a QB the most will take one in the first round of this QB rich draft.  That will leave far fewer teams who will be bidding for his services and that will drop his quote.

UFA opens on March 14th about six weeks before the draft on April 26th. Cousins will be signed quickly and likely have a deal agreed to during the legal tampering period that begins on March 12th. 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

UFA opens on March 14th about six weeks before the draft on April 26th. Cousins will be signed quickly and likely have a deal agreed to during the legal tampering period that begins on March 12th. 

by whom?

1 minute ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

WEO reluctantly thanks you for the clarification. :D

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

by whom?

There are plenty of teams interested in him. Denver, the Jets, Jacksonville, reports Minnesota might be interested, maybe Buffalo, Arizona, possibly Cleveland are possibilities. I think Denver is a likely landing spot. 

41 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

They didnt jerk him around, they didnt believe he was worth the money. They still don't. Neither do a lot of other people, FWIW

Then why did the Redskins tag him for way more money than they thought he was worth, not one time but two?

4 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Guessing the NYJ, DEN, ARZ, CLE, and possibly MIN will be the primary suitors. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

There are plenty of teams interested in him. Denver, the Jets, Jacksonville, reports Minnesota might be interested, maybe Buffalo, Arizona, possibly Cleveland are possibilities. I think Denver is a likely landing spot. 

Why would Minn not pay Keenum, but break the bank for a stat accumulator like Cousins?  I don't get that at all. 

Why would Cleveland, with 2 top 4 picks, blow their budget on Cousins?  He's not taking them to the playoffs in the net 2 years (when no doubt he will cost them the most)?

Denver maybe.  That's the kind of move Elway would do.

AZ will take a QB with their top pick.

10 hours ago, Chuck Wagon said:

And I can't speak for everyone either, but I would really like to know from those who are against spending the money on Cousins, what opportunities they think signing Cousins would cause us to lose out on.

Thank you.

Spending big is only a bad idea if you miss on other game changing players you'd have signed otherwise.   Plus subtract Tyrods cap hit from Cousins and its a no brainer.

Plus he gives you back at least 1 first round pick that you'd be burning on a rookie qb to use elsewhere to help the team.  So by signing him you get TWO players, one of which is a proven qb

Why would Minn not pay Keenum, but break the bank for a stat accumulator like Cousins?  I don't get that at all. 

Why would Cleveland, with 2 top 4 picks, blow their budget on Cousins?  He's not taking them to the playoffs in the net 2 years (when no doubt he will cost them the most)?

MIN already has a SB caliber team and Cousins is better than Keenum.

CLE has loads of cap space along with premium picks to build their roster.

ARZ has offensive talent in all purpose RB David Johnson along with a good receiving corps. 

DEN might want to take a shot with him before their window closes. 

We'll see.

5 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

MIN already has a SB caliber team and Cousins is better than Keenum.

CLE has loads of cap space along with premium picks to build their roster.

ARZ has offensive talent in all purpose RB David Johnson along with a good receiving corps. 

DEN might want to take a shot with him before their window closes. 

We'll see.

Good points except the first re: Keenum. vs. Cousins.  Look at Cousins vs the Giants to end the season.  He beats Philly on the Vikings??

zero point zero chance.  Keenum was the Vikes best shot.  Still is.  

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Keenum had a very good year but it was an aberration. Would the Vikes be willing to pay him  premium salary for a one year wonder? The issue is the size of the contract with him. If he can get a heavy duty contract from the market from a team such as Arizona then Minn might consider Cousins. I'm not saying it is probable but it is possible. 

Cleveland would certainly be interested in Cousins if the organization decides for a more immediate competitiveness. They have a gargantuan cap space. If they take this route they then have a tremendous amount of flexibility with their two high draft picks. 

Jacksonville could be another team interested in Cousins. They would probably have to shed some contracts but he certainly would be a major upgrade over Bortles. The Jaguars are a serious team with a lot of defensive talent. Add in Cousins and now you have a well balanced team that moves into the premium level. 

Ariens has been under seige for the past couple of years. He might want a quicker answer at qb than bringing in a rookie qb. 

Most people do believe that Denver is the most likely spot. 

Good points except the first re: Keenum. vs. Cousins.  Look at Cousins vs the Giants to end the season.  He beats Philly on the Vikings??

zero point zero chance.  Keenum was the Vikes best shot.  Still is.  

I think Washington was in running for the bus mode in that game, but overall Cousins is the better QB.  The clock has struck twelve on Keenum and I believe he'll be back to the journeyman that he's been prior to this season. 

2 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Keenum had a very good year but it was an aberration. Would the Vikes be willing to pay him  premium salary for a one year wonder? The issue is the size of the contract with him. If he can get a heavy duty contract from the market from a team such as Arizona then Minn might consider Cousins. I'm not saying it is probable but it is possible. 

Cleveland would certainly be interested in Cousins if the organization decides for a more immediate competitiveness. They have a gargantuan cap space. If they take this route they then have a tremendous amount of flexibility with their two high draft picks. 

Jacksonville could be another team interested in Cousins. They would probably have to shed some contracts but he certainly would be a major upgrade over Bortles. The Jaguars are a serious team with a lot of defensive talent. Add in Cousins and now you have a well balanced team that moves into the premium level. 

Ariens has been under seige for the past couple of years. He might want a quicker answer at qb than bringing in a rookie qb. 

Most people do believe that Denver is the most likely spot. 

Cousins had a very good year...in 2016.  He would cost the Vikings a ton more than Keenum.  They know exactly what they have re; their system in Keenum.  They would HAVE to conclude that Keenum was the reason they were not in the SB>  Obviously, given that their D laid down in the NFCC game, they cannot conclude this.

Cleveland is not a year or two away, so why bring in Cousins?

Jay is owing big money to Borltes this year.  They will cut him?

Ariens retired.

3 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

I think Washington was in running for the bus mode in that game, but overall Cousins is the better QB.  The clock has struck twelve on Keenum and I believe he'll be back to the journeyman that he's been prior to this season. 

As I said above, Minny would have to believe that what they saw every day in Keenum was an illusion....and what they saw in Cousins at the end of the season was, what, something that would seal the deal for them?

I don't get that.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Cousins had a very good year...in 2016.  He would cost the Vikings a ton more than Keenum.  They know exactly what they have re; their system in Keenum.  They would HAVE to conclude that Keenum was the reason they were not in the SB>  Obviously, given that their D laid down in the NFCC game, they cannot conclude this.

Cleveland is not a year or two away, so why bring in Cousins?

Jay is owing big money to Borltes this year.  They will cut him?

Ariens retired.

As I said above, Minny would have to believe that what they saw every day in Keenum was an illusion....and what they saw in Cousins at the end of the season was, what, something that would seal the deal for them?

I don't get that.

Why would they boil it down to one meaningless game at the end of a miserable season instead of examining his entire body of work these last three seasons? 

2 minutes ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

Why would they boil it down to one meaningless game at the end of a miserable season instead of examining his entire body of work these last three seasons? 

Sure, they will look at the impact he had on a team that went 10-3 with RG3 before him and say, "what impact did he have there?  What will be the improvement over Keenum here?"

How do they answer that?

They would have to look at Keenum and conclude he was the barrier to the SB and that Cousins would push them over the top.  I just honestly don't see how they conclude that.  They are with Keenum every day.  They have only scouted Cousins.  

Sure, they will look at the impact he had on a team that went 10-3 with RG3 before him and say, "what impact did he have there?  What will be the improvement over Keenum here?"

How do they answer that?

They would have to look at Keenum and conclude he was the barrier to the SB and that Cousins would push them over the top.  I just honestly don't see how they conclude that.  They are with Keenum every day.  They have only scouted Cousins.  

Cousins is a better downfield passer than Keenum and the Vikings offense would create more big plays from Thielen and Diggs IMO.