With the emergence of QBs like Case Keenum do GMs need to re-evaluate things?

Big Turk

11 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

So you're thinking that teams are going to extend players beyond their rookie contract when they haven't proven to be a worthwhile contributor? And that's not even getting into situations like Tyrod, who believed he had starting ability and refused a contract extension to remain a backup despite limited regular season action.

Tyrod refused a contract extension to remain a backup? In Baltimore, you're saying?

LINK?

What I've seen is the exact opposite, that they didn't offer him a contract, instead just letting him walk.

As for guys extended beyond their rookie contract when they haven't been proven to be a worthwhile contributor, Jeff Hostetler, for one. 29 passes thrown in his first five years. Recent guys? How about Garoppolo? Had he "proven" himself in the two games he started in NE? Half the boards here didn't want him last off-season when getting him was discussed. I wanted him, but the doubt about his abilities was legit. But the Pats offered him several second contracts which he refused.

Edited by Thurman#1

Start a proper minor league football league, with each team controlled by an NFL team.

Let all these QBs play in the minors and then we'll see who can do it and who can't, over a period of years of development if necessary.

Put the minor league teams in football friendly towns not big enough for an NFL team.

13 minutes ago, Fadingpain said:

Start a proper minor league football league, with each team controlled by an NFL team.

Let all these QBs play in the minors and then we'll see who can do it and who can't, over a period of years of development if necessary.

Put the minor league teams in football friendly towns not big enough for an NFL team.

It's an idea that has always sounded great, but the owners weren't willing to pay for it in NFL Europe or anywhere else.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Tyrod refused a contract extension to remain a backup? In Baltimore, you're saying?

LINK?

Yes, as the offseason began the Ravens wanted to keep Tyrod as a backup and Tyrod declined, saying he wanted an opportunity to start. Throughout free agency the Ravens were still prepared to bring him back if that opportunity did not present itself. Was official paperwork drawn up for the contract and submitted to the NFL? No, because being the backup was the beginning and end of the negotiating process.

As far as links go I don't really know how much was published about a short series of conversations, but here's a Baltimore Sun article citing 'sources' that the Ravens remained interested through Tyrod's visit with the Bills.

7 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Smith was in his sixth year of play, not his seventh when he had that great season. Seven years in the league and one completely lost to injury from a failed previous surgery. There's a lot of evidence that he had been held back as successfully as if they'd been actually trying to screw him. Six new OCs  (Mike McCarthy, Norv Turner, Jim Hostler, Mike Martz -Smith missed the whole season-  Jimmy Raye, Mike Johnson) in his first six years on the roster and five years of play? That's insane!!!  But Smith still had to take a pay cut in a restructure to stay on the roster after the first four years.

Bradford was out of STL after four years.

This is what I was replying to:

17 hours ago, DCOrange said:

I promise you that if you worked for an NFL team and told them "We don't need a QB. In 7 years, I have a feeling this guy might be pretty good" and you then proceeded to wait through years of watching said QB suck, you'd be fired long before you ever got near Year 7. It simply isn't an option. If a QB still sucks by the end of their rookie contract, there is no justifiable reason to give them a second contract.

I think Smith and Bradford form pretty good examples of what happens to a coach who continues to wait through years of watching a QB suck.  Mike Nolan stuck with Smith, who continued to suck after 4 years.  b-bye Nolan!

Spagnulo stuck with Bradford and was out of St Louis 2 years after he drafted him.  Fisher stuck with Bradford 3 years (you're mistaken, Bradford got 5 years - the last completely missed season due to preseason ACL) and it cost him his job after 4.

I don't think the number of seasons of suckage matter, the point is what happens to the coach when he believes in a guy and sticks with him.

No team "holds back" their QB to deliberately screw him - they screw the team and themselves too.  Martz was a particularly inapt choice for Smith.  It isn't arguable that changing OCs does screw a young QB, though.  Bradford suffered from the same issue.

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan