Boat Versus Boat

TSNBDSC

43 minutes ago, Augie said:

Where exactly did you work? It had to beat my summer construction job!  

**** I worked all over that place.  It was my externship so I was used and abused.  And it was a long time ago.  I worked some restaurant at the Sea Pine Gulf Club.  Another restaurant by the water. Caterings on the beach. Worked the Heritage Classic, don't remember what it was called then.  That was a !@#$ing nightmare.  5am-11pm nonstop for a week.  I make like $500 on minimum wage that week.  It all went up my nose. 

Edited by Chef Jim

Wimp! As long as your nose is happy, who are you to complain? 

My parents had a place on the 10th green of the Harbor Town course where I stayed. It beat the roach motels where most of the construction workers stayed.

I remember a short but lively Beth from those days. Worked the beach club by days, but did side jobs..... used to do catering events. You had to have crossed paths, she was everywhere. Worked for Sea Pines Beach Club and CQ’s and a few others. We are heading back there in May. I just booked a house in Harbor Town. 

Edited by Augie

14 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

One of my first drownings that I witnessed at the lock was in the the mid-1990s.  After the divers yanked him from the bottom, I surmise that is exactly what happen... He was hit by the prop.  The prop of his own vessel.

It happened late... Around 1am in the morning.  Lock was open on the lake side and a downbound oil tow was approaching.  A small runabout pleasure craft (PC) shows up and is waiting for the tow.  The people on the boat are pretty tore up.  One dude decides to "go for a swim."  In his jeans, shoes, everything... Well, he must have been horsing around and the people on boat lost sight of him... Or maybe he bit it right there.  Who knows, drunk people get disoriented and swim to the bottom, panic and buy the farm. Well anyway, the people on the boat swung around in a panic and came full plane towards the open lock... I thought they were going to get run over by the 600' towboat.  They were screaming that somebody was lost in the water.  I called the tow off, closed the dam to restrict flow of water in the river... USCG was called and they landed a helo on site... Divers went in... They swept the bottom of the murky river by feel.  They pulled him out around 5 in the morning or so.  The body was all twisted up and had a huge gash on his forehead...

...He was no doubt hit by the prop when his boat swung around in a panic.

Still remember the look of the body... Boat, little PC by sunrise had a dead battery... Blower was left on all night... Name of the boat: "Heaven Sent"... How freaky... Empty whiskey bottle on floor of boat, smell of booze...

When it first happened, the mother was freaking out.  Swimmer nowhere in sight.  The mother wanted to jump in and look for him (before USCG arrived)... I did everything in my power to not have two drownings that night.  He was gone, I knew he was at the bottom.  I did everything in my power to convince her not to jump in too... Told her: "Maybe he swam to shore"  no way was he getting up onto the 8' upper guidewall at the lock where we were at.

People do stupid things on the water... It's mostly booze to blame. Lot more close calls on the weekends through the summer. All kinds of crazy stories, surprised more haven't died... Being drunk, high, stupid, etc...

I have never been through a lock, so this may not apply where you work but have you ever had a drowning by electrocution.  Boats that are tied to a dock and connect to shore power, that are not properly grounded can create an electric field in the water, that if it does not outright electrocute a swimmer near them, stuns them enough so they end up drowning.

From what I have read, when someone swims near a powered dock and this happens, more than likely someone jumps in to save them and then two people are in trouble.

2 minutes ago, Greybeard said:

I have never been through a lock, so this may not apply where you work but have you ever had a drowning by electrocution.  Boats that are tied to a dock and connect to shore power, that are not properly grounded can create an electric field in the water, that if it does not outright electrocute a swimmer near them, stuns them enough so they end up drowning.

From what I have read, when someone swims near a powered dock and this happens, more than likely someone jumps in to save them and then two people are in trouble.

Like the electric carp barrier in Lemont, Illinois? He he... Actually, the steel barges have to be made up with current conducting cables.  Can't be synthetic and no vessels are allowed to touch the shore.  "Zero potential" like birds on a high tension wire?

http://www.lrc.usace.army.mil/Missions/Civil-Works-Projects/ANS-Portal/Barrier/

No... To answer your question.  But we have a lightning policy in place now in the last few years. Backed up by the Corps Safety Manual (EM 385-1-1), lightning guidelines were added.  We are built on a metal structure capped with concrete.  The only solid concrete monoliths are around the gate areas... rest of structure is built on metal "sheet piling" cells, again, capped with concrete.  A lot of times, depending on the water levels, those metal cells are exposed to the vessels in the lock.

Anyway... We suspend locking ops if lightning is 10 miles away or less, work should stop until 30 minutes after the last audible thunder or visible flash of lightning.

Speaking about lightning, years ago we had a bolt come down our 75' radio antenna. The Marine radio is right next to power panel.  The bolt blasted out the back of radio and went to the panel.  Left a mark like someone took a center punch to it.

12 hours ago, Augie said:

Wimp! As long as your nose is happy, who are you to complain? 

My parents had a place on the 10th green of the Harbor Town course where I stayed. It beat the roach motels where most of the construction workers stayed.

I remember a short but lively Beth from those days. Worked the beach club by days, but did side jobs..... used to do catering events. You had to have crossed paths, she was everywhere. Worked for Sea Pines Beach Club and CQ’s and a few others. We are heading back there in May. I just booked a house in Harbor Town. 

Oh I imagine Beth and I crossed paths.   That was 37 years ago (WTF?!?!) so hard to remember.  As I was added my post last night I was thinking back.  Holy hell.  I was only there for 3 months or so and I worked at some many different places in that short time. 

Moron. And wtf was he doing going that fast on a GD river...that's trolling speed like 20kn, I'd barely go that fast on the ocean for ahi...and who needs a boat that big for inland fishing? Moral of the story, restrict boats that don't go offshore to 35hp or LEARN HOW TO DRIVE before you get behind the wheel...glad those folks are ok. 

This is a pet peeve of mine: people who can't operate boats. There are rules that are as vitally important to follow as driving on a road, but there are no police out on the water to enforce them. That means either you keep a gun under your seat and flares handy or everyone who drives like this guy stay home. Hate seeing stuff like this.

45 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

Moron. And wtf was he doing going that fast on a GD river...that's trolling speed like 20kn, I'd barely go that fast on the ocean for ahi...and who needs a boat that big for inland fishing? Moral of the story, restrict boats that don't go offshore to 35hp or LEARN HOW TO DRIVE before you get behind the wheel...glad those folks are ok. 

This is a pet peeve of mine: people who can't operate boats. There are rules that are as vitally important to follow as driving on a road, but there are no police out on the water to enforce them. That means either you keep a gun under your seat and flares handy or everyone who drives like this guy stay home. Hate seeing stuff like this.

I am not defending the yacht... But it is the Columbia river... Ain't now small waterway... It is like an interstate.  Again, not defending yacht, but I wonder where the fisherman were?  Were they in middle of channel... If so, it is like playing on I-94.  You should see what crazy places fisherman get into.  In a tight waterway here, they do the most stupid things.  Again, with some of the fisherman it is like playing in the middle of an interstate.  They will stop in middle, not a care in the world and drop a line.  If those fisherman were in the navigation channel, that ain't kosher.  I have to yell at some of them.  I am like: "The rules of the road say you are not suppose to moor, play in the channel... Why don't you go rollerblading down the Dan Ryan?"  Stupid is as stupid does.

Again... Not sure if that was in Nav Channel... If it was, the fisherman are dead wrong for being there playing around.