Cap Money or Draft Capital? How do you want to get your 2018 QB?

LA Grant

To improve QB, you need to spend either Cap money or Draft capital. Which is it?  

30 members have voted

1. 1. How do you want to do this?

• Spend the $$ for a Veteran. You know what you're getting. Use draft picks for the rest of the roster.
    • Trade picks & draft a "can't-miss" Rookie. This is where Hall of Fame QBs come from, and there's a reason other teams are letting go of their Veteran QB.
    • Neither. Pick a QB in the late 1st Round or lower. Keep Tyrod and/or sign a budget Veteran. Have them all compete and may the least-worst man win.
    • Neither. Trade for Aaron Rodgers. I did it in Madden so I don't see why it couldn't work in real life and yes, I do enjoy sniffing glue, but I don't see what that has to do with this?

Yes, I know there are a bunch of threads about what to do regarding QB. But this is a poll, so it's different! ?

If you want to upgrade from Tyrod Taylor, you're going to need to part with something significant. For Kirk Cousins or another "elite" veteran, they're going to be one of the highest paid QBs in the league. For Josh Allen or Sam Darnold or another "elite" rookie, you're going to need to trade up from 21.

Or you can do neither and stay with Tyrod, or a similar level of budget QB -- the Case Keenums or Sam Bradfords of the league, who all have their upside, and their issues.

So.

What do you do?

16 minutes ago, TheTruthHurts said:

I'll be happy with Alex Smith or Tyrod Taylor with a 1st round pick. Alex Smith won't cost a lot. Maybe a 3rd depending on demand. 

I'd be happy with this. I thought Smith played pretty great this year, even during their skid.

I said take a QB late in round 1, but if there was a can’t miss QB for sure, trade the farm.  I don’t think there is a can’t miss QB in this draft.  I think that Rosen and Darnold *could* be very good, but far from a sure thing.  

I would not not trade both #1s for any of the other QBs in this draft.  Most I would do is to trade 21 and a 2nd to move up into the teens for whomever they like most that may be left among Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph.

16 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I said take a QB late in round 1, but if there was a can’t miss QB for sure, trade the farm.  I don’t think there is a can’t miss QB in this draft.  I think that Rosen and Darnold *could* be very good, but far from a sure thing.  

I would not not trade both #1s for any of the other QBs in this draft.  Most I would do is to trade 21 and a 2nd to move up into the teens for whomever they like most that may be left among Mayfield, Allen, Jackson, Rudolph.

Agreed, I don't think trading into the Top 5 is the right move. I don't really follow college ball closely, so I have no horse in the race. But I haven't seen someone make a case for any of these guys that makes it seem like a slam dunk. But again, I have no idea.

I don't think you can trade our 21 & a 2nd and get into the Top 10, though. If one of those guys slips to 15, you could probably trade up without giving up too much -- but even then, I think you'd probably have to part with both 21 & 22 AND a second, and perhaps get a 5th next year in return or something. That's not impossible, although it's unlikely enough that I don't think you should plan your offseason around it. What if they don't slip? You'd have to be sticking with Tyrod or a similarly-priced QB in that case, and hoping that your rookie ends up making his slide look like a huge mistake to teams who passed. Which again -- it's possible. Or it's JP Losman or EJ Manuel. It's a crapshoot.

To move into the Top 5, that's probably at least both of this year's 1sts and next year's 1st, too. And if you're saying, this is Andrew Luck, or Carson Wentz, or Jared Goff, or Deshaun Watson -- that's not that bad of a price, really. We paid roughly the same capital for Sammy Watkins.

ON THE OTHER HAND, the "sure fire" veteran is Kirk Cousins, who could very well become the highest-paid QB in the NFL. Or maybe not. Honestly, if I'm Kirk Cousins, I'd head to the Jaguars even if it meant staying at a lower salary. Great WRs, a stud RB, a Top 3 Defense. Sure, you have to live in Jacksonville, but at least it's warm. Why even bother entertaining Denver, Buffalo, the Jets, or whoever else comes calling?

The Jags are "better than Blake Bortles" away from being a perennial AFC powerhouse. To choose another destination would require backing up the Brinks truck, I think, and Buffalo would be tied with Denver as the next best spot, IF the money is right.

Either way, it's an interesting spot. There's not a clear answer, but there are more options than usual. And if you choose to go a way that doesn't work out, you're going to hear "BUT WHY DIDN'T THEY DO THE OTHER THING?!" for yeaaaaaars.

Edited by LA Grant

38 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I am agree with all that.....I like it!

I would not want them trading both 1’s and then some to move up to get one of the top two guys unless the Braintrust was absolutely sure they had the right qb.   

Not a fan of keeping Tyrol, or getting Smith.  

Maybe be there is a qb at 21 that is the guy?

This decision is huge. 

Draft capital.

Costs much less, and if he pans out you can build a team around him while he's still on his rookie contract.

Plus, we miss on so many draft pick, what the hell. Last 6 or so QBs we drafted sucked, specifically the 1st rounders (Losman, Manuel) and this year proved that even a garbage can gets a steak sometimes. We are due for a big hit, odds are in our favor. It's time for the FO to pick their guy and stop at nothing to get him. 5 years down the road nobody will be whining about the "other first round pick" or next years 3rd or whatever.