The Right Off Season Plan

Domdab99

2 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Beane was brought in after the draft. McDermott/Whaley worked this past draft. McDermott probably had final say on all draft choices last year.

It would be incredibly naive to think Beane did not have input on last years draft. 

13 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

I am also in the just move up a little and grab Mayfield/Rudolph.  

That's where I'm at. Just don't like the idea of giving up EVERYTHING... including the picks that we got for getting rid of Sammy and Darby... on an unknown, unproven guy... not when we have so many other holes to fill.

8 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

That's where I'm at. Just don't like the idea of giving up EVERYTHING... including the picks that we got for getting rid of Sammy and Darby... on an unknown, unproven guy... not when we have so many other holes to fill.

It’s worth noting that draft picks aren’t the only trade chips. There are players the Bills may be ready to part with as well because they may feel they have replaced them or can replace them at a lesser cap hit (ie Glenn, Hughes) who could be part of a draft day trade along with a pick. 

• Like (+1) 2

I suspect that the Bills will be drafting a QB with an early pick. They may move up to do it. They may not have enuf ammo to nail one of the top guys and they may not be willing to gut their entire draft for a QB either. They passed on a couple of good prospects last year, some feel better prospects than are available in this year's draft. We don't know what they are going to do, but we sort of know what the available options may be. 

If they get a vet good enuf to start they can go for a guy with a high ceiling but who is not ready to start. That would be Darnold/Allen. If they intend to start a rook assuming he wins the QB competition, then I think you are pretty much looking at Rosen, Rudolph and Mayfield. Mayfield behind Rudolph as a prospective starter but not for long IMO because unlike Rudolph he has a positive upward trending trajectory. Rudolph is a good QB and has played a lot of games, but he's pretty much the same guy he was four years ago. Mayfield is a very different and better QB today than when he started out. Rudolph can throw with accuracy and touch pretty much to all parts of the field even if his arm strength is only average. Unlike Tyrod he throws a very catchable ball. He's smart and is good at reading a defence. When things break down though his mechanics do as well. He becomes a very different QB. And you know that in the NFL the chaos will come. Mayfield plays in a QB friendly system, it's true, but the funny thing about him is that in his decision making he frequently forgoes his first, best and easy read to attempt a more spectacular, lower percentage throw. Unlike Rudolph he can excell when things break down. A little mentioned fact is that he is an excellent technician who has outstanding mechanics. Mayfield will have to tone down his college enthusiasm a tad in the pros, hopefully while retaining his leadership qualities. His teammates will not be kids but 30 year old guys with families to support. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s worth noting that draft picks aren’t the only trade chips. There are players the Bills may be ready to part with as well because they may feel they have replaced them or can replace them at a lesser cap hit (ie Glenn, Hughes) who could be part of a draft day trade along with a pick. 

Good point. I'd have no problem ditching Cordy, especially with how well Dawkins played this year. I guess it depends on the cap hit, though. However, Beane has showed that he doesnt really care about the cap hit.

I've become increasingly pro Alex Smith, I don't want to trade up to get a prospect, nor do I want to see another year of this offense.  If Buffalo can get him for a 2nd and an additional 2019 pick (4th or 5th) I would be happy with that. 

I'll assume Kyle Williams will retire, but he's welcomed back.  Release Tyrod

priority signings

re-sign EJ Gaines

sign  DT Star Lotulelei

Draft a DT (Payne or Vea) and a LB (Edmunds or Smith) then draft a back up RB in the 2nd (Sony Michel) then rounds 3-7 add depth at Guard, Linebacker and Corners

after the draft sign a vet WR that hasn't found a home.

that would be my plan

LOL apparently a lot of you don't know how to read. 

I never said "let's keep Tyrod, he's great!" I'm done with him. But I'm fine with keeping him one more year while we build the team around a potential young QB. Trading Tyrod for another middling QB is not going to do anything...but it's not going to hurt, either...as long as you don't give Cousins the bank or something.

The whole point of my plan is to not go crazy and mortgage the future for a QB who may or may not be a franchise guy. Look at the Colts to see what happens when you do so. Granted, they did it through cap hell and not through burning draft picks, but the same thought applies.

People clamoring for Alex Smith, what makes you think the Chief are going to give up the highest rated QB in the league this year for a 3rd round pick? His $20m cap hit? His age? Hey, if they can do it for a 3rd, I'm in. But what I don't want to see is the Bills doing the very Billsy thing of trading back the first we got from KC last year for Alex Smith. You know, the trade last year that got KC Mahomes in the first place. Might as well just have drafted Mahomes in the first place.

I'm fine with using one of our first round picks to maybe move up into the top 10 to pick a Mayfield. Maybe even both picks?? Denver is in an interesting spot. But what I don't want to do is throw 3 no. 1s at one player in the hopes he's our saviour, and then do very little to restock the OL. 

I'd like to see the Bills move up in the top 15 and take someone like Lamar Jackson. Looks at his improvement year to year...they guy is  a big time QB who can do more than just run the ball. 

I'm a fan of Mayfied and Rosen and Jackson. 

I'm not a fan or Darnold or Allen. 

Rudolph, meh.

Just don't break the bank for the guy you want if you're not SURE he's a franchise guy. 

Edited by Domdab99

9 minutes ago, CLTbills said:

Good point. I'd have no problem ditching Cordy, especially with how well Dawkins played this year. I guess it depends on the cap hit, though. However, Beane has showed that he doesnt really care about the cap hit.

He wants to reduce dead cap. But he wants a QB more than anything. 

I am honestly ok with Alex Smith and whoever falls, unless they are ready to break the bank for their guy. If indeed, Rosen or Mayfield is the next Jim Kelly, you pull the trigger and fill other holes with that available cap space. If they think Rudolph, Allen or Jackson is the man, they have to feel out if they drop to 21 or make the move to get their guy.  But trading up has failed the last 2 times and the McBean Dream team will fail if they take the wrong QB. 

Then it's one of the Viking castoffs or Tyrod for another year. After this year, I finally feel I can trust the front office and that they will make the best decision for the team moving forward. Should be a good offseason.