President Oprah Winfrey?

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/367909-early-tax-bill-reality-very-different-than-democratic-rhetoric

Will Democrats and progressive activists apologize for their steadfast opposition to tax cuts now that the benefits to their so-called constituents have become so clear?

Don’t hold your breath.

Yet it’s worth reiterating how different the tax cut reality has been from Democratic rhetoric.

Friday’s jobs report demonstrated strong December hourly wage growth, helping bring the increase for 2017 to a respectable 2.5 percent. This figure will only accelerate as it begins to incorporate the millions of Americans who receive tax cut-induced raises and bonuses.

Over one hundred companies — including major airline, media and financial employers — have recently publicly announced that they are directing part of their tax cut savings to significant pay increases for their employees, to the combined tune of over $1 billion.   

Last week, JetBlue Airways announced it will give $1,000 bonuses to each of its 21,000 crew members. This followed announcements by Southwest and American airlines that they will give the same bonus to their 55,000 and 127,000 employees, respectively.

AT&T is giving $1,000 bonuses to more than 200,000 employees. Comcast also is giving $1,000 bonuses to its more than 100,000 employees, and Sinclair Broadcast Group will give the same amount to its 9,000 employees.

Bank of America is giving $1,000 bonuses to its 145,000 employees. PNC Bank is giving the same to its 47,500 employees. And BB&T will gave $1,200 bonuses to its 27,000 employees. Dozens of other banks and financial institutions are following suit, giving windfalls to tens of thousands more employees.

Then there are the companies raising their lowest wages to $15 an hour. Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, BB&T and Fifth Third Bancorp are among the biggest banks and financial institutions that are raising their lowest wage to this level. Don’t expect the activist group Fight for $15 to change its strategy for achieving a $15 minimum wage from government mandate to letting businesses keep more of their earnings.

Other businesses also made moves that will help workers. CVS and FedEx announced they are going to hire thousands of new employees. Boeing announced a $100 million investment in workforce training to help its employees learn skills to make them more valuable. Aflac, Nationwide Insurance and SunTrust boosted 401(k) contributions.

And all employees’ 401(k) and other retirement plans have been significantly boosted by the tax cut-generated stock market surge. Last week, the Dow Jones eclipsed 25,000, less than a year after it topped 20,000 — one of the fastest increases in history. For the over half of Americans with underfunded retirement accounts, this is welcome news.

And employees haven’t even begun to feel the direct effects of tax cuts in their paychecks from reduced federal withholding that will take effect as soon as next month. The tax bill’s doubling of the standard deduction and elimination of the 15 percent tax bracket in favor of a vastly expanded 12 percent rate will result in higher take-home pay for those who need it most.

11 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Would be nice if we could go back to qualified candidates instead of tv personalities with no sense of what they are doing

they said worse about Reagan

we can't really go back to military generals

10 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

I mean, the categories aren’t just tv stars and military generals

millionaire shiftless playboys for a few in the 20th century, one turned out to be arguably the best of the 20th century

or hardscrabble suck-ups like Nixon and Clinton who were godlike political jobbers...

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

Maybe we need to try something new!  How about  tennis player?

Why?

Damn, things are going so badly! Stock Market booming. GDP better than last 24 quarters! Unemployment down. Black unemployment at lowest point in 25 years. More money in my paycheck. ISIS on the run. Major companies handing out bonuses and improving wages. Focus on controlling immigration. Infrastructure bill being looked at. If only that !@#$ing Trump didn't have 2 scoops of ice cream, things would be going well!

24 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

http://thehill.com/opinion/finance/367909-early-tax-bill-reality-very-different-than-democratic-rhetoric

Will Democrats and progressive activists apologize for their steadfast opposition to tax cuts now that the benefits to their so-called constituents have become so clear?

Don’t hold your breath.

Yet it’s worth reiterating how different the tax cut reality has been from Democratic rhetoric.

Friday’s jobs report demonstrated strong December hourly wage growth, helping bring the increase for 2017 to a respectable 2.5 percent. This figure will only accelerate as it begins to incorporate the millions of Americans who receive tax cut-induced raises and bonuses.

Over one hundred companies — including major airline, media and financial employers — have recently publicly announced that they are directing part of their tax cut savings to significant pay increases for their employees, to the combined tune of over $1 billion.   

Last week, JetBlue Airways announced it will give $1,000 bonuses to each of its 21,000 crew members. This followed announcements by Southwest and American airlines that they will give the same bonus to their 55,000 and 127,000 employees, respectively.

AT&T is giving $1,000 bonuses to more than 200,000 employees. Comcast also is giving $1,000 bonuses to its more than 100,000 employees, and Sinclair Broadcast Group will give the same amount to its 9,000 employees.

Bank of America is giving $1,000 bonuses to its 145,000 employees. PNC Bank is giving the same to its 47,500 employees. And BB&T will gave $1,200 bonuses to its 27,000 employees. Dozens of other banks and financial institutions are following suit, giving windfalls to tens of thousands more employees.

Then there are the companies raising their lowest wages to $15 an hour. Wells Fargo, U.S. Bancorp, BB&T and Fifth Third Bancorp are among the biggest banks and financial institutions that are raising their lowest wage to this level. Don’t expect the activist group Fight for $15 to change its strategy for achieving a $15 minimum wage from government mandate to letting businesses keep more of their earnings.

Other businesses also made moves that will help workers. CVS and FedEx announced they are going to hire thousands of new employees. Boeing announced a $100 million investment in workforce training to help its employees learn skills to make them more valuable. Aflac, Nationwide Insurance and SunTrust boosted 401(k) contributions.

And all employees’ 401(k) and other retirement plans have been significantly boosted by the tax cut-generated stock market surge. Last week, the Dow Jones eclipsed 25,000, less than a year after it topped 20,000 — one of the fastest increases in history. For the over half of Americans with underfunded retirement accounts, this is welcome news.

And employees haven’t even begun to feel the direct effects of tax cuts in their paychecks from reduced federal withholding that will take effect as soon as next month. The tax bill’s doubling of the standard deduction and elimination of the 15 percent tax bracket in favor of a vastly expanded 12 percent rate will result in higher take-home pay for those who need it most.

And how much of all that will go to paying higher health care costs they will now endure? 

How much of that will go to paying the trillion $$$ in national debt added? 

Or the Environmental damage done? 

Throwing the bread crumbs out to a few while taking the loaf isn't something to brag about 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Crayola64 said:

Would be nice if we could go back to qualified candidates instead of tv personalities with no sense of what they are doing

The last qualified candidate didn't get elected because he owned a horse.

Tibs, if i thought you were serious about these rants i might feel sorry or concerned for your multiple personalities

7 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

The last qualified candidate didn't get elected because he owned a horse.

Algore and Kerry and Hillary were perfectly qualified, and them losing makes every day worth smiling about

4 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Tibs, if i thought you were serious about these rants i might feel sorry or concerned for your multiple personalities

Algore and Kerry and Hillary were perfectly qualified, and them losing makes every day worth smiling about

No, they weren't qualified. It takes more than just having prior success in elections to make a person qualified to head up the Executive Branch.

22 minutes ago, 3rdnlng said:

Why?

Damn, things are going so badly! Stock Market booming. GDP better than last 24 quarters! Unemployment down. Black unemployment at lowest point in 25 years. More money in my paycheck. ISIS on the run. Major companies handing out bonuses and improving wages. Focus on controlling immigration. Infrastructure bill being looked at. If only that !@#$ing Trump didn't have 2 scoops of ice cream, things would be going well!

This doesn’t need to be a trump debate.  I don’t think he is remotely qualified, nor do I think Oprah would be.  In fact I think they are laughably unqualified.  

I would like to dip into the non-TV-star bucket.  

1 minute ago, Crayola64 said:

This doesn’t need to be a trump debate.  I don’t think he is remotely qualified, nor do I think Oprah would be.  In fact I think they are laughably unqualified.  

I would like to dip into the non-TV-star bucket.  

The proof is and will be in the pudding.