Predictions from ESPN Insiders (and me) for our 2018 starting QB

11 hours ago, ALF said:

Will wait and see if they sign a FA QB . So many holes need to be filled this draft would not want to trade up. 

If a decent QB is not there when Bill's draft then trade up in 2019, if need be.

Dak Prescott  and Kirk Cousins were 4th rd picks. Need a lot of luck and better scouting. The RG3 trade up spooked me. 

Yeah, but on the flip side of the RG3 trade up you have the Wentz and Goff trade ups.

Right?

11 hours ago, Seanbillsfan2206 said:

Mike Sando said that Peterman is the leader in the clubhouse? Is that real? I haven’t read anything that would make me believe this...

I think it's just ridiculous that people actually believe Peterman is going to be a starter next year, at this point.

There's very little he's produced on the field that would give any inkling he's capable of being an NFL starter, and as much as people want to say Peterman is "McDermott's guy," dude was drafted in the 5th round.  With our 2nd pick of the 5th round.

Peterman just doesn't have the arm strength to survive as a starting QB in Buffalo.

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

From the limited reading I have done on this it seems that none of the guys in this year's draft are considered as good as the guys in last year's draft (Watson especially).  So giving up a ton of picks on guys like a Rosen or Darnold seems unlikely.  You do that when there is a can't miss type guy, and none of the guys in this year's draft fit that description.

Thus, my bet is that they go out and get a guy in free agency.  And looking at those potentially available, to me there is one obvious choice:

Cousins.  I say that based on a recent SI article about him.  He is all about process, and he is a film rat.  Studies hard all the time.  His approach to the game would fit perfectly with what McDermott and Beane are trying to build as far as the team mentality.  And he has performed pretty well in Washington.

McDermott and Beane know they need better QB play.  One of the first things Beane said when he was hired is that you have to have a QB to win in the league.  Is Cousins that guy?  Maybe, maybe not.    But unless they are really sold on one of the guys in the draft, I think it'll be Cousins.  And then they'll draft a guy with their second first round pick or one of the second round picks, someone they feel has the physical tools (maybe a Rudolph or a Falk or the kid from Western KY). 

They say this kind of stuff every year.

One thing is for sure, this is NOT the 2013 dumpster fire of a QB class.

Remember when Goff and Wentz were coming just a couple of years ago how there were questions of whether they should be taken in the top of the 1st round?

This seems to be the game every year.

I think Rosen, Darnold and probably Allen and Rudolph are pretty surefire 1st round caliber QBs.  We'll see how Mayfield measures in at the combine... probably him, too.

It's time to take our shot.  It's the perfect year to do it with all the draft picks we've stockpiled.  McDermott's proven that coaching and culture, in many ways, trumps talent.

Except at the QB position.

Get the QB who can elevate the franchise long term.

5 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Give me Cousins or give me death.

Death then... 0:)

Edited by transplantbillsfan

4 hours ago, Bongo said:

My waaaaaayyyyy outside the lines scenario. Indy is sitting at 3 and will have a new coach. We trade 2 firsts and a second for Andrew Luck. Indy can get a new franchise qb picked by the new coach at 2 or 3 plus have a little more capital and we get a franchise qb.

This was honestly something I thought about a lot over the year and was my ideal scenario, but it involved Indy with the #2 draft pick rather than the #3 pick.

I think with the #3 pick they're even less likely to do something like this, which I don't think they were very likely to do to begin with.  They couldn't risk losing the top 2 guys to the Browns AND the Giants.

3 hours ago, SaviorPeterman said:

One of my contacts close to the QB situation texted me this morning while I was in high level meetings, to paraphrase he said the following:

"Savior (obviously not my real name), if NP was starting yesterday the Bills probably would have won. But now the Taylor experiment is over and Beane is going full steam ahead with NP being the starter heading into 2018. Beane is in love with this kid but look for a few other power moves but no big name QB's drafted/signed"

If true this confirms my own thoughts that NP will likely be the guy and we'll sign another journeyman to compete and back him up.

We would have won what?

The record for most interceptions thrown in a football game? 

The record for the longest amount of time the football travelled through the air on 5 yard sideline out-routes?

If so, you're probably right  :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

Mason Rudolph

I am all in on moving up for Rosen(hopeful of Giants trade) just like I wanted Watson, draft a top QB for once.

I would be very ok with Rudolph but they will still have to move up a little to get it done IMO considering other teams will want to move up above the Bills to grab him before our pick. Rosen is my choice then Rudolph with Mayfield as a pick only if still available with a modest move up like Rudolph. Jackson Allen are big no's  IMO. I truly think Mayfield will go third QB. I can see Peterman maybe starting a game or two but doubt more then that giving way to rookie starting by game 3. A cheap vet QB brought in and the money saved on MD/Tyrod used on fill in players picked up from FA. Tough 2018 season with rookie at QB but well worth it considering he lights it up in many games. 2019 great playoff run and close loss in championship game, 2020 SB winner.

Go Bills

Darnold, Rosen, Mayfield,Rudolph all will be ready to start by game 3 so the Bills need to grab one for a bright future IMO.

That's what I would do, more then likely the Bills will do the opposite and keep Tyrod, Peterman and then draft a mid round Peterman grade QB. Use the other draft picks to fix the rest of the team and then in 2019 fire everyone and start all over again, wash repeat, same old Bills.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 minutes ago, Luka said:

Darnold and Rosen go 1 and 2, keep dreaming. Better hope Rudolph can adapt at the NFL level.

I think the Giants would trade and ride a little longer with SB winning Eli, but I agree more then likely it won't happen for Rosen/Darnold in Buffalo, I am dreaming and I like it. Haha. That leaves Mayfield/Rudolph in a modest move up IMO. Anyone else is another Peterman project IMO.

14 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

I'd take Tyrod over McCown.

McCown blew a few games this year thanks to CRUCIAL turnovers.

Agreed Tyrod is better. But not much. And McCown is much cheaper. And can play from the pocket, the one thing that McDermott says is a necessity in his system. And would be a better clipboard coach for the new guy than Tyrod, IMHO.

Assuming McCown came here for the same salary he got from the Jets (he'd probably be a bit more expensive, but not much), he'd cost us $12 mill less on the cap than Tyrod. Keeping Tyrod would cost us $10 mill on the cap this year and then $5 mill in dead cap next year.

Edited by Thurman#1

17 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Agreed Tyrod is better. But not much. And McCown is much cheaper. And can play from the pocket, the one thing that McDermott says is a necessity in his system. And would be a better clipboard coach for the new guy than Tyrod, IMHO.

Assuming McCown came here for the same salary he got from the Jets (he'd probably be a bit more expensive, but not much), he'd cost us $12 mill less on the cap than Tyrod. Keeping Tyrod would cost us $10 mill on the cap this year and then $5 mill in dead cap next year.

Tyrod only has one year left on his deal. Why would he cost 5 dead the following year?

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Tyrod only has one year left on his deal. Why would he cost 5 dead the following year?

His five-year extension deal signed in August 2016 before the re-negotiation spread his signing bonus out over five years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

$5.56 mill in dead cap in 2019.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, 1billsfan said:

Why would that be such a shock? They’ve already benched a healthy Taylor with a 5-4 record in favor of starting Peterman. They've made big bold moves by getting rid of Watson, Darby and Dareus. 

They don’t care what the opinions on Peterman are of the fans or media. They have a plan and I can totally see that if they feel Peterman is ready to become the starter, that they are convinced he has the talent and he has developed enough to take that next step, that they will move forward with him as the 2018 Bills starting QB and they may not even draft a QB from this class. They could just sign a veteran as his backup.

If they really wanted to tank by starting Peterman (which is exactly what they would be doing) then they would have done it this year.   They would have stuck with him when they first put him in.

Only way that dude starts is if he drastically improves in the off season.   Possible sure.  But, very, very unlikely.

Or, if the Bills completely screw the pooch trying to bring in a legitimate starter.   (This is more likely, in my opinion, than Peterman improving that much in the next 6 months.)

28 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

If they really wanted to tank by starting Peterman (which is exactly what they would be doing) then they would have done it this year.   They would have stuck with him when they first put him in.

Only way that dude starts is if he drastically improves in the off season.   Possible sure.  But, very, very unlikely.

Or, if the Bills completely screw the pooch trying to bring in a legitimate starter.   (This is more likely, in my opinion, than Peterman improving that much in the next 6 months.)

Or he has incriminating photos of Beane or McDermott engaging in disturbing behavior, possibly together. :unsure:

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

His five-year extension deal signed in August 2016 before the re-negotiation spread his signing bonus out over five years.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/tyrod-taylor-7899/

$5.56 mill in dead cap in 2019.

What does it mean at the bottom...it says "2019 to 2021 years automatically void if on the roster at the end of 2018 season"

I took that to mean if he kept him next year everything else was done and over with. I'm confused. 

16 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

Wentz, Goff, Cam, Mariota, Luck, Wilson, Garrapolo, all say hello. 

To a smaller degree Cousins, Prescott, Jamieis, and Watson also say “what?”

So you honestly think Wentz, Goff, Cam, Mariota, Luck, Wilson & Garrapolo are all on the same level as Elway, Marino, Kelly, Brady and the Mannings after 2 seasons? 

I think not. When you look at them, each team has a system in place that works for those QBs. Cousins is young enough you can put him on the Bills roster, and use their current draft pics to fill areas of need and you're looking at a contender.