Watkins FA Value

Virgil

Even if you think that Watkins is better than his stats because Tyrod, Goff, etc don't get him the ball enough (may or may not be true), the bottom line is, Watkins wouldn't have put up big numbers in Buffalo this year (whether his fault or Tyrod's) and he wouldn't have re-signed, so the trade was a good one for us. Gaines has been solid this year when healthy.

The Benjamin trade looks worse because he has been injured, and even when healthy, wide receivers just aren't an integral part of the offense compared to other teams.

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

When he was here, he played for stats and not the team and complained when he wasn't getting what he wanted.  That was just unacceptable.  Tyrod obviously hurt him but you can't let that get to you mentally and he did.  His injuries also seemed to have gotten to him and he took it out in the wrong way.  That's not what a teammate does, that's what a self-centered player does.  There are a lot of receivers like that but look at a guy like Benjamin, does his business even though he's hurt and not getting targets and still doesn't complain. I quickly learned to hate Sammy when he was here, he needed to grow up and stop being a distraction.  Not sure LA will want to give him any kind of big money, hope he gets better and figures things out wherever he goes

Sammy is a good guy.  Like many athletes, he came out of a collegiate program where he was pampered, the big man on campus, brought Clemson back to glory.  Came into a Bills program that was off-balance in the locker room, and no one mentored him.  I think if he ends up with Brady, he will be elite.  Tom Terrific will get in this face, which never happened at 1 Bills Dr.  Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Buffalo30 said:

When he was here, he played for stats and not the team and complained when he wasn't getting what he wanted.  That was just unacceptable.  Tyrod obviously hurt him but you can't let that get to you mentally and he did.  His injuries also seemed to have gotten to him and he took it out in the wrong way.  That's not what a teammate does, that's what a self-centered player does.  There are a lot of receivers like that but look at a guy like Benjamin, does his business even though he's hurt and not getting targets and still doesn't complain. I quickly learned to hate Sammy when he was here, he needed to grow up and stop being a distraction.  Not sure LA will want to give him any kind of big money, hope he gets better and figures things out wherever he goes

Benjamin may be a fine fellow but from a talent standpoint he isn't good enough to wear Watkin's stinky jockstrap. Watkins is an immensely more talented player than Benjamin. Until the qb position is upgraded in Buffalo the talents of its receivers will not be fully actualized. The comparison of Woods in Buffalo to him in LA demonstrate that obvious point. 

I would say Watkins is going to command 8-9 million a year. That would put him in line with the 21st highest salary at his position. Watkins stayed healthy which is a big plus but he also didn't put up insane production which is going to hurt his value. He will get a nice contract but he isn't going to command that monster top 5-10 at his position salary that he was expecting. 

12 hours ago, Virgil said:

Now that Sammy’s season is over and Free Agency awaits him, I’m curious as to what his value will be. 

As a Bills fan, we saw glimpses of brilliance.  Many of us argued that his lack of production was because he was a decoy, we didn’t have a QB that could get him the ball, or he had nagging injuries. 

This seaon, all of those excuses were gone and he still disappears from games. I can’t understand how his obvious potential doesn’t sustain in games, but the result is what it is. 

To me, the 2nd round pick and Gaines was a robbery by us. 

With all of that, what kind of deal do you think he pulls in and where does he go?

I think he either settles for a 1 year deal or gets 3 years at 8-10 mil from someone like the Bears. 

Thoughts?

His value is diminished.  I hope he has learned that he does not do himself any favors with the diva act. I would not mind him coming back at a reasonable amount if he is no longer the diva.  

As for the trade, I would not characterize it as "robbery."  Whether Gaines re-signs with the Bills also will play into how to evaluate that trade.

Also, nothing will ever make up for how much we overpaid to draft him.

3 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Take it easy....WE ARE IN!!!

Also recognize that we also blamed all of these QB's and his injury prone issues over the years. I think it is Sammy.

Huh? I'm totally laid back and I don't remember blaming any QBs. My question really really really is about Goff's deep ball. Go back and check out the play that was being discussed (if you have it). Sammy has his guy beat and has to hold up. He boxed the corner out of the play very well but did not complete the catch, which he should have. I've seen Goff underthrow him a number of times this year. If the Rams don't give him a contract they will need to find another guy who is a threat in the vertical passing game. Otherwise Woodsie and Kupp (who are possession receivers) will not be handing in such good report cards next year. And that's really just a comment on the Rams O.

Now if you want my view of Sammy, I think he was a legit high first rounder. But he was only worth one first round pick, not two. I think Doug was the only one of the 32 GMs who would have done what he did, especially given the strength of the class. You don't do what Doug did for anyone not named Calvin or Julio. I never thought Sammy was a generational talent. You really can't blame the player for that. OTOH Doug did get it right when he picked RW in the second round. He's legit as a # 2 receiver, he's a great blocker (despite his infraction yesterday). Just a good, hard nosed football player. Always liked him a lot.

Go Bills!!!

4 hours ago, JohnC said:

Benjamin may be a fine fellow but from a talent standpoint he isn't good enough to wear Watkin's stinky jockstrap. Watkins is an immensely more talented player than Benjamin. Until the qb position is upgraded in Buffalo the talents of its receivers will not be fully actualized. The comparison of Woods in Buffalo to him in LA demonstrate that obvious point. 

What about Sammy though?  You compared Woods from Buffalo to LA, Sammy's numbers aren't any better than anything he did for us.  He's not using his talent the way many people think he should be able to.  We will see if that changes moving forward.  He's got to get his head on straight or he will never be the guy everyone thought he'd be