12-26: McDermott and Coordinator Pressers

26CornerBlitz

McDermott kicks things off at 3:30 PM ET.

SEAN MCDERMOTT: "OUR WORK ISN'T DONE YET" (15:43)
Bills Head Coach Sean McDermott addressed the media Tuesday afternoon topics include; injury updates, looking ahead to closing out the regular season against the Miami Dolphins, and the possibility of making the playoffs.

LESLIE FRAZIER: "KEEP BATTLING" (16:03)
Bills Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier addressed the media Tuesday topics include; Frazier's thoughts on how the defense played against the Patriots, what DT Kyle Williams means to the team on the field and in the locker room, and looking ahead to the Miami Dolphins and the possibility of getting into the playoffs.

RICK DENNISON: "SCORE TOUCHDOWNS" 9:19)
Offensive Coordinator Rick Dennison addressed the media Tuesday topics include; finishing drives with touchdowns, getting the ball to the play makers, and scoring in the second half of games.

QUICK HITS: BILLS CONTACT LEAGUE ON BENJAMIN TD REVERSAL

mcdermott-11-20-stort.jpg

The Bills made sure to contact the league office regarding the replay reversal of Kelvin Benjamin's acrobatic touchdown in Sunday's loss at New England.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

1 hour ago, 26CornerBlitz said:

The fact that he believes getting 3 points in that situation to stop "momentum" is very concerning.  A FG did nothing to help you there.  you still need a TD and you put yourself in a corner by only giving you 1 more shot to get it instead of going for it there and having 2 chances to get it.

A FG stops nothing except for your chances of winning.  I hate that he feels this way and it is just another big red flag......  His time management and situational football awareness is extremely concerning and may end up being the biggest reason for his downfall over the next couple years.

28 minutes ago, sven233 said:

The fact that he believes getting 3 points in that situation to stop "momentum" is very concerning.  A FG did nothing to help you there.  you still need a TD and you put yourself in a corner by only giving you 1 more shot to get it instead of going for it there and having 2 chances to get it.

A FG stops nothing except for your chances of winning.  I hate that he feels this way and it is just another big red flag......  His time management and situational football awareness is extremely concerning and may end up being the biggest reason for his downfall over the next couple years.

I mean he stated he has a legitimate concern about kicking FG's, and not scoring TDs. Yeah, he went for a 50 yard FG to stop momentum instead going for it on 4th and short, which was an odd choice as he went for it on 4th down twice earler in the game instead taking the points. My only guess he went by the numbers. The Bills are 2-19 on 4th downs this year.  He's a rookie HC, lets cut the guy some slack before writing his ending already. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Murica said:

I mean he stated he has a legitimate concern about kicking FG's, and not scoring TDs. Yeah, he went for a 50 yard FG to stop momentum instead going for it on 4th and short, which was an odd choice as he went for it on 4th down twice earler in the game instead taking the points. My only guess he went by the numbers. The Bills are 2-19 on 4th downs this year.  He's a rookie HC, lets cut the guy some slack before writing his ending already. 

...but the Pats rush D is near the league bottom.....and you have Shady in the backfield as well as Taylor.......the world would expect Shady but how 'bout a naked TT bootleg?.....down by 7, on the Pats 32, 13 minutes to go with 4th and 1, and FG is the best option?...STILL down by another score with Pats "O" churning......I could sure as hell sleep knowing we were more aggressive in decision making versus Jauron "not to lose ball" against the Pats formidable (COUGH) rush defense ....screw his "legitimate" concern, but then again, he is a rookie HC learning the ropes....if WE have to trust the "process", so does HE..............

10 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...but the Pats rush D is near the league bottom.....and you have Shady in the backfield as well as Taylor.......the world would expect Shady but how 'bout a naked TT bootleg?.....down by 7, on the Pats 32, 13 minutes to go with 4th and 1, and FG is the best option?...STILL down by another score with Pats "O" churning......I could sure as hell sleep knowing we were more aggressive in decision making versus Jauron "not to lose ball" against the Pats formidable (COUGH) rush defense ....screw his "legitimate" concern, but then again, he is a rookie HC learning the ropes....if WE have to trust the "process", so does HE..............

Since everyone loves stats and even worse descriptive ones. The Bills, as of I think maybe two weeks ago, have 27% of their rushes for for 0 or less yards. So that means no greater than a 73% chance of getting a first there and after watching your 0 Football IQ QB hold the ball on 4th and 2 inside the 10 earlier rather than try to force a throw even if you turn it over on the INT, expecting him to make a play couldn't have given him any confidence. When your kicker is what 90% or something from 50 or greater this season, it's no wonder he chose to try and grab points. Everyone acts like the 4th down conversion is a given. It's not so everyone slams the call rather than execution. 

LESLIE FRAZIER: "KEEP BATTLING" (16:03)
Bills Defensive Coordinator Leslie Frazier addressed the media Tuesday topics include; Frazier's thoughts on how the defense played against the Patriots, what DT Kyle Williams means to the team on the field and in the locker room, and looking ahead to the Miami Dolphins and the possibility of getting into the playoffs.

8 minutes ago, zonabb said:

Since everyone loves stats and even worse descriptive ones. The Bills, as of I think maybe two weeks ago, have 27% of their rushes for for 0 or less yards. So that means no greater than a 73% chance of getting a first there and after watching your 0 Football IQ QB hold the ball on 4th and 2 inside the 10 earlier rather than try to force a throw even if you turn it over on the INT, expecting him to make a play couldn't have given him any confidence. When your kicker is what 90% or something from 50 or greater this season, it's no wonder he chose to try and grab points. Everyone acts like the 4th down conversion is a given. It's not so everyone slams the call rather than execution. 

Where'd you get this stat?

Mike Rodak ESPN Staff Writer 

Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison said Tuesday, "you can't let that bother you, one way or another" in reference to the NFL overturning Kelvin Benjamin's touchdown late in the first half of Sunday's loss at New England.

Bills offensive coordinator Rick Dennison said Tuesday there are "quite a few things" that led to Buffalo allowing six sacks in Sunday's loss to New England, but among them Dennison said Tyrod Taylor must sometimes not try to avoid pressure. Taylor's scrambling led to some of the sacks Sunday, although Dennison also mentioned a protection breakdown with another sack.

Bills defensive coordinator Leslie Frazier said Tuesday that he "hopes" the Kelvin Benjamin ruling did not linger with his players in the second half of Sunday's loss to New England, when Buffalo was outscored, 24-3. Frazier said he did not discuss the call with his team at halftime and "did not get it done" defensively in the second half.

Bills coach Sean McDermott said Tuesday he remains "at a loss" despite discussing Kelvin Benjamin catch ruling with NFL.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

21 minutes ago, zonabb said:

...pretty generic......would be more interested in the COMPILATION of those stats by individual rusher to see who the negative culprits may be as well as plays called......

I thought he should go for it, but I'm never against taking the points that are available.   Hauschka was a good bet. 

A lot of people here ALWAYS want to go for it.   They remind me of my son who used to run the fake punt on Madden every fourth down.   

There's always a rationale for going for it, but just because you can come up with an argument in favor of going for it doesn't mean that the argument is right.   

In this case, however, I think the odds suggest that the Bills should have gone for it.  I think you have to figure Hauschka was only a 50-50 proposition.  Yeah, he made a lot early in the year, but it's tougher in winter weather.   I think you have to figure making it is also 50-50, even though the Bills haven't been too successful on fourth down this year.   (I think they haven't been successful on several desperation fourth downs, not the typical fourth and 1 in the middle of the game - remember, the Bills generally didn't go for it on those fourth and 1s.)   

So if you're 50-50 either way, the downside of not making it is the same.  The upside, however, is why I think you have to go for it.  If you make the field goal, you have three.   If you make the first down, presumably you're getting closer to the goal line and the chances you get at least 3 start getting better.  And of course your chances of getting 7 go up.   

But I think it's a closer call than some people think.    

6 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I thought he should go for it, but I'm never against taking the points that are available.   Hauschka was a good bet. 

A lot of people here ALWAYS want to go for it.   They remind me of my son who used to run the fake punt on Madden every fourth down.   

There's always a rationale for going for it, but just because you can come up with an argument in favor of going for it doesn't mean that the argument is right.   

In this case, however, I think the odds suggest that the Bills should have gone for it.  I think you have to figure Hauschka was only a 50-50 proposition.  Yeah, he made a lot early in the year, but it's tougher in winter weather.   I think you have to figure making it is also 50-50, even though the Bills haven't been too successful on fourth down this year.   (I think they haven't been successful on several desperation fourth downs, not the typical fourth and 1 in the middle of the game - remember, the Bills generally didn't go for it on those fourth and 1s.)   

So if you're 50-50 either way, the downside of not making it is the same.  The upside, however, is why I think you have to go for it.  If you make the field goal, you have three.   If you make the first down, presumably you're getting closer to the goal line and the chances you get at least 3 start getting better.  And of course your chances of getting 7 go up.   

But I think it's a closer call than some people think.    

It's the Schopp school of thought. I once heard that moron say that he wanted a coach who would never punt.

1 hour ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

I understand your point, and there is something to it, but having Tyrod as one's QB can skew the issue somewhat.  Tyrod clearly throws the ball far less frequently than the league average, and there are some kinds of passing plays where he is not very effective at all.  Knowing that, defenses can adjust their defensive strategy in certain situations.  If the Patriots aren't very good defending the run against teams that represent a significant passing threat, they could still be very good on run defense if they overplay the run because they don't respect the other team's passing offense.