IMO Why the Pats get the Calls

JinxedBill1

36 minutes ago, frostbitmic said:

I've thought for years that the patriots seemed to always be the beneficiaries of bad calls but this year has been blatant and very obvious.

Bills - Kelvin Benjamin TD overturned

Steelers - Jesse James TD overturned

Texans - Cooks made TD catch very similar to the Steelers TE catch but theirs wasn't overturned.

Jets TD overturned

Chargers - mystery offensive pass interference on Chargers that would have set them up in the red zone late in the game.

As for the argument that it attracts fans... It does the opposite for me. I won't see the Dolphins game because I'll be working Sunday but I also won't watch another game this season unless the patriots are eliminated from the playoffs.

There was also a stat thrown out on Twitter yesterday that the Pats lead the league in First down conversions by penalty!  

giphy.gif

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ThePatriotWay said:

Because they're the BEST team in the league. ?

Meh.  That's a stretch.  Every year there's some kind of asterisk you can put on their "super bowl" runs.  That didn't happen with the Niners or the Steelers.  Wake me up when you guys get one without controversy.

17 minutes ago, ThePatriotWay said:

The Patriots really get under your skin, huh? 

Not at all.  Just when they cheat, get free wins due to the officials and when they smash unsuspecting played in the back of the head with elbow braces

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

It's not the game I remember as a child.  It's not only that we know more about concussions, etc. and the violence is being selectively taken out.  It feels corporate, managed, and dull.  Rules are written that allow a catch to not be a catch, particularly if it benefits certain teams.  When the populace begins to doubt the justice of the game, it is no longer a contest and becomes instead a largely predetermined spectacle. 

Agreed 100%. For all the reasons you cite (and more), to me the NFL has become an unwatchable, watered down product controlled by an insatiable thirst for profits at all costs and Vegas betting lines. Thursday night games are a joke, with players on a short week producing a garbage result. TV timeouts ad nauseum and a broken officiating system with highly selective enforcement rob this game of any spontaneity. I find the spirit and excitement of college football at its highest level to be far more compelling.

37 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Early on, the Patriots and Krafty Bob were leveraged to the gills, that if the Pats started losing, fans would stay away and Krafty Bob's loans would default. 

So Krafty Bob's dear friend, Roger Goodell, made sure the Pats would be successful so that Krafty Bob could pay off Gillette Stadium and Patriot Place.

But now things have just stuck in place, especially when Tom Brady and the whole Patriots fairy tale is the only marketable story line these NFL has the days. 

Now the Guerrero thing threatens to play blow the Pats up too. Expect Roger to go full Spygate-mode and send league "investigators" in to sweep it all under the rug.

It's the Patriot way.

excellent take. I have read accounts of Krafty Bob's business dealings from his past and they are not complimentary. Quite the opposite.

21 minutes ago, ThunderingHerd said:

Meh.  That's a stretch.  Every year there's some kind of asterisk you can put on their "super bowl" runs.  That didn't happen with the Niners or the Steelers.  Wake me up when you guys get one without controversy.

It would have if they had todays internet. With the internet youbcan find something to B word about every team.

1 minute ago, ThePatriotWay said:

Lololol oh yeah they cheat! Is that what all you haters rely on in order to sleep at night after every Patriots Super Bowl victory? How did they cheat last year? ?

We sleep just fine bud. How do you sleep knowing the entire country thinks your team is a bunch of cheaters and your legacy will forever be tainted as a result. You'll say you sleep fine, but obviously you don't since you are coming on an opposing teams message board to troll and stick up for your team's cheating ways.

6 minutes ago, What a Tuel said:

We sleep just fine bud. How do you sleep knowing the entire country thinks your team is a bunch of cheaters and your legacy will forever be tainted as a result. You'll say you sleep fine, but obviously you don't since you are coming on an opposing teams message board to troll and stick up for your team's cheating ways.

You mean like how the Bills illegally used fake crowd noise against the Patriots in 2015. Lol and failed miserably. But that wasn't cheating, right? ?

Edited by ThePatriotWay

3 minutes ago, ThePatriotWay said:

So you forgot about Jerry Rice using stickum to "cheat" with? 

You like how the Bills illegally used fake crowd noise against the Patriots in 2015. Lol and failed miserably. 

Aww how cute, now he is trying to compare cheating. Don't worry bud, you guys clearly have that title locked down. Stick it up there next to your Super Bowl Trophies***

1 minute ago, What a Tuel said:

Aww how cute, now he is trying to compare cheating. Don't worry bud, you guys clearly have that title locked down. Stick it up there next to your Super Bowl Trophies***

Can you tell me why no one gives a hoot about the Bills cheating? ? I'll give ya a hint. "Toilet Bowl"

1 hour ago, JinxedBill1 said:

Obviously I am with a lot of you thinking they have favoritism in the league office.  Just this year we see the Gronk 1 game suspension, the terrible Steelers call and then our very own debacle of catch, no catch.

Yet I read a lot of you thinking the league should do something about it.  IMO they won't because they like these things because it creates ratings.  Hear me out, they manufacture these issues with the cheating, inflategate, etc. to get people's attention to the sport.  It creates drama that attracts interest both in the media and game day.

So while I am with you all on the idiocy that is officiating, I think the league secretly likes it.  People tune in just to watch them lose cuz they hate them so much.

Just my opinion here.  The NFL is a entertainment business and what's more entertaining than having the empire (Pats) vie for control every year?  I hate it, and I suspect many of you do but the common NFL fan eats it up.

Flame away.  Oh if y'all think I'm wrong I got this info from Dunkirk....so....yeah.....legit.

I think there's a good deal of truth in this.  The NFL, like any other successful business, is well tuned into what helps and hurts viewership.

I heard someone say once that baseball likes having the Yankees.  It makes baseball a long-running morality play, with Goliath always looming.  People like that story, and they really like it when some David comes along and knocks them out.   

Same with the Pats.   NFL loved the two Giant wins over the Pats in the Super Bowl, they loved the Pats wins over Atlanta and Seattle.   It wouldn't be nearly as interesting if Titans had come from behind to beat Atlanta.   The NFL likes having a team on top.

And I think they like it even better if the team has a little bit of evil attached to it, which the Pats do.  Brady just isn't as likeable as Peyton, Belichick not nearly as likeable as Dungy.   So they're easy to dislike a little.   The cheating doesn't hurt, either.  

The league knows what sells and what doesn't.  The Pats sell, so the league isn't going out of their way to make it difficult for the Pats.   

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Shaw66 said:

I think there's a good deal of truth in this.  The NFL, like any other successful business, is well tuned into what helps and hurts viewership.

I heard someone say once that baseball likes having the Yankees.  It makes baseball a long-running morality play, with Goliath always looming.  People like that story, and they really like it when some David comes along and knocks them out.   

Same with the Pats.   NFL loved the two Giant wins over the Pats in the Super Bowl, they loved the Pats wins over Atlanta and Seattle.   It wouldn't be nearly as interesting if Titans had come from behind to beat Atlanta.   The NFL likes having a team on top.

And I think they like it even better if the team has a little bit of evil attached to it, which the Pats do.  Brady just isn't as likeable as Peyton, Belichick not nearly as likeable as Dungy.   So they're easy to dislike a little.   The cheating doesn't hurt, either.  

The league knows what sells and what doesn't.  The Pats sell, so the league isn't going out of their way to make it difficult for the Pats.   

I'd love it if the Bills were the "David" to knock off the "Goliath".