The McDermott Thread

DollaBills

1 hour ago, xRUSHx said:

When you have your 3rd string QB in the game when it's a blizzard out you play field position and rely heavy on the D to get the ball back. I agree with what he did, it paid off and we won. IMO it is exactly what Levy would have done.

You understand that they had to go a much longer field with the 3rd string quarterback after getting the ball back, right?

1 hour ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

seriously, you people bitching and moaning about a first year coach is STUPID but considering the sources that are doing so is not surprising.

keep whining, you all are real good at it.

We are not aloud to critique a coach just because he's in his first year?

27 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

You understand that they had to go a much longer field with the 3rd string quarterback after getting the ball back, right?

critique is one thing, I believe you know the difference. calling him an idiot and chastising him is another. not saying you have but since you felt the need to quote me then hopefully you know the difference?

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

critique is one thing, I believe you know the difference. calling him an idiot and chastising him is another. not saying you have but since you felt the need to quote me then hopefully you know the difference?

I have an opinion on him so far and there are more negatives than positives.

I am not saying fire him or anything like that but I do think he needs to improve on a lot of areas going into next year.

So if my opinion falls under your definition of stupid then so be it. But I'm definitely not going to give him excuses or kiss his arse just because he's a first year head coach

Edited by billsfan11

First year HC of an overachieving team.  Grade of incomplete from me.  How anyone can form a strong opinion, either way, is puzzling to me.

I will say that the “culture” of the team seams vastly improved over previous years despite the roster being gutted like it has.  He hasn’t been perfect, but he is doing some things very well, IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I have an opinion on him so far and there are more negatives than positives.

I am not saying fire him or anything like that but I do think he needs to improve on a lot of areas going into next year.

So if my opinion falls under your definition of stupid then so be it. But I'm definitely not going to give him excuses or kiss his arse just because he's a first year head coach

bold: who's kissing his ass?

you quoted me and I responded. I never called you stupid, you have a bad conscience?

what is stupid is those who are not willing to accept a first year coach and his mistakes. if this was year 3 then I would even be calling for his head. since he's not I can give him a chance to become a better coach. sitting at 7-6 and still in the hunt with a very thin at talent roster is not bad, in fact it's pretty good and he has been a big part of that regardless of the bad calls.

bitching and moaning about it as many are doing is doing just that, bitching and moaning.

56 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Fair enough, but is McCoach not aloud just a little bit of leniency given that he is essentially learning on the job?  I think he should be aloud that.  Just as you are aloud to be critical of his shortcomings.

11 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

bold: who's kissing his ass?

you quoted me and I responded. I never called you stupid, you have a bad conscience?

what is stupid is those who are not willing to accept a first year coach and his mistakes. if this was year 3 then I would even be calling for his head. since he's not I can give him a chance to become a better coach. sitting at 7-6 and still in the hunt with a very thin at talent roster is not bad, in fact it's pretty good and he has been a big part of that regardless of the bad calls.

bitching and moaning about it as many are doing is doing just that, bitching and moaning.

I never once said you called me  stupid. I said if my opinion of what I just said above falls under the definition of stupid for you, then so be it. Meaning I have no idea if you think what I said falls under your original post about "stupid" and "bitching and moaning".

And I never once said anyone is kissing his arse (well I can probably name a few posters), but I'm saying I'm not going to look the other way and say everything is ok when he makes glaring mistakes just because he is a first year head coach... For one, clock management and burning timeouts like they are useless.... He hasn't learned a thing since week 1 about that. 13 weeks later its inexcusable not to adjust, whether its your first year or 15th year.

If a regular guy at a job, say working at Mcdonalds does a glaring mistake the first few weeks, I'm sure people will give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he does it 3 months later and does those same mistakes, it really is inexcusable and that's a problem. You can't just say, "Well he is only 3-5 months in so it's ok to mess up the same thing over and over again". Do you not agree with that?

And once again I am not calling for his firing or calling him an idiot. But there are a lot of things he does that are extremely weird

4 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Fair enough, but is McCoach not aloud just a little bit of leniency given that he is essentially learning on the job?  I think he should be aloud that.  Just as you are aloud to be critical of his shortcomings.

I agree to a certain degree. But it is week 13 now. If he made these mistakes the first 4 weeks I would understand. But it seems like he isn't adjusting and he makes these same mistakes time and time again. Like clock management, and burning timeouts for very little reason

Edited by billsfan11

I've chosen to reserve my opinions about our Head Coach untill middle of the season next year. Moves were made that have not come to fruition yet so I'd like to see how that plays out.

All I can be is hopeful because if this guy can't figure it out then the team I root for will be bad and I don't want that. I'm pretending he's the next great HC until it's obvious he isn't. Then I'll grab my pitchfork like everyone else.

I do believe he has the ammunition and should be able to have a better record next year so that's when I'd like to see results. If it's the same boring offence next year then I think mistakes were made and this isn't the guy to be the face of the new era.

His only mistake so far was getting the Bills to 5-2 creating high expectations from everyone. 

Edited by Lfod

Just now, billsfan11 said:

I never once said you called me a stupid. I said if my opinion of what I just said above falls under the definition of stupid for you, then so be it. Meaning I have no idea if you think what I said falls under your original post about "stupid" and "bitching and moaning".

And I never once said anyone is kissing his arse (well I can probably name a few posters), but I'm saying I'm not going to look the other way and say everything is ok when he makes glaring mistakes just because he is a first year head coach... For one, clock management and burning timeouts like they are useless.... He hasn't learned a thing since week 1 about that. 13 weeks later its inexcusable not to adjust, whether its your first year or 15th year.

If a regular guy at a job, say working at Mcdonalds does a glaring mistake the first few weeks, I'm sure people will give him the benefit of the doubt. But if he does it 3 months later and does those same mistakes, it really is inexcusable and that's a problem. You can't just say, "Well he is only 3-5 months in so it's ok to mess up the same thing over and over again". Do you not agree with that?

And once again I am not calling for his firing or calling him an idiot. But there are a lot of things he does that are extremely weird

did you call him an idiot?

call for his head?

no

that's what I find stupid.

I have no problem with your opinion although comparing a rookie HC in the nfl to a kid flipping burgers at mickey Ds is not a very good comparison in my opinion.

Just now, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

did you call him an idiot?

call for his head?

no

that's what I find stupid.

I have no problem with your opinion although comparing a rookie HC in the nfl to a kid flipping burgers at mickey Ds is not a very good comparison in my opinion.

Its an extreme comparison, but the same principles are there. They are employees and mistakes are going to happen the first few weeks as they are learning on the job. But those same mistakes shouldn't happen week in and week out for over 3 months

13 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

Its an extreme comparison, but the same principles are there. They are employees and mistakes are going to happen the first few weeks as they are learning on the job. But those same mistakes shouldn't happen week in and week out for over 3 months

Can you be more specific about all of his mistakes?  You are acting as though his game management skills have been horrible.  I’ve seen a few instances of less than stellar clock management, but otherwise I think he has done a pretty decent job.  What, specifically, is making you think he is doing such a terrible job?  

That OT punt was controversial, but ended up being the right decision and we won the game.

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Can you be more specific about all of his mistakes?  You are acting as though his game management skills have been horrible.  I’ve seen a few instances of less than stellar clock management, but otherwise I think he has done a pretty decent job.  What, specifically, is making you think he is doing such a terrible job?  

That OT punt was controversial, but ended up being the right decision and we won the game.

I don't think he's doing a terrible job, I want to make that clear.

And the mistakes in my opinion are 3 main things. Being too conservative at times, clock management, and burning timeouts.

I don't have to give you too many examples about conservative as I'm sure you know a few good instances at the top of your head. ( kicking field goal inside 1 yard line against ATL, punt last week of course) those are just a couple right off the bat.

Clock management is bad on to many occasions. Like when they have the lead in the 4th and they snap it with 15 seconds left on the Play clock. At the end of the half I find it bad for the most part. Except last game as it worked out brilliant.

And the burning of timeouts. He called 2 last week on the Colts final drive because he wanted to see the Colts line up. You just can't do that. If that two point conversation stands, you need to have those timeouts you used. All year he has done that with his timeouts.

That's just my opinion, feel free to disagree of course.

I just think he really has to improve on those 3 main things if the Bills are ever going to be a Superbowl contender one day

Willing to see how they do in the draft.....overall he hasnt disappointed to an extreme amount per say.....just the conservativeness we seen throughout the season is frustrating to watch at times......Dump Dennision after the season and all is good!

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billsfan11 said:

I get what your saying with possibly having a longer field for our 3rd string QB but the kick gives the Dolts a longer field and gives us 4 fresh downs not all in on one play if they did not kick. It also would have gave the Dolts half a field if our 3rd string QB failed on that 4th. Maybe he was hopeful of a bad kick from the Dolts after 4 downs or a turnover. Eitherway the Dolts were the away team in a winter wonderland with the longer field, lucky for us we won and it turned out to be the right call. I just think a call like that is a crap shoot, damed if you do, damed if you dont.

25 minutes ago, JPP said:

Willing to see how they do in the draft.....overall he hasnt disappointed to an extreme amount per say.....just the conservativeness we seen throughout the season is frustrating to watch at times......Dump Dennision after the season and all is good!

Good post, and I agree.  Should be interesting to see if McDermott is willing to make coaching staff changes, especially this one.

My fear is that he retains Dennison citing QB not able to run the offensive scheme properly.  If this is the case, McDermott isn't any different than many of the coaches in the NFL now; forcing a system on players regardless if their skillset doesn't align with said system.

32 minutes ago, billsfan11 said:

I don't think he's doing a terrible job, I want to make that clear.

And the mistakes in my opinion are 3 main things. Being too conservative at times, clock management, and burning timeouts.

I don't have to give you too many examples about conservative as I'm sure you know a few good instances at the top of your head. ( kicking field goal inside 1 yard line against ATL, punt last week of course) those are just a couple right off the bat.

Clock management is bad on to many occasions. Like when they have the lead in the 4th and they snap it with 15 seconds left on the Play clock. At the end of the half I find it bad for the most part. Except last game as it worked out brilliant.

And the burning of timeouts. He called 2 last week on the Colts final drive because he wanted to see the Colts line up. You just can't do that. If that two point conversation stands, you need to have those timeouts you used. All year he has done that with his timeouts.

That's just my opinion, feel free to disagree of course.

I just think he really has to improve on those 3 main things if the Bills are ever going to be a Superbowl contender one day

Do you think perhaps that his conservative coaching approach may be a reflection of his personnel, most specifically on offense?  His QB for example is regarded as a game manager who takes care of the football.  I would contend that his gameplans are less of a reflection of him as a coach, and more of what he has to work with.  

As some have stated...I’m interested to see how he does with a real QB and some additional pieces.

Edited by Johnny Hammersticks

5 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Good post, and I agree.  Should be interesting to see if McDermott is willing to make coaching staff changes, especially this one.

My fear is that he retains Dennison citing QB not able to run the offensive scheme properly.  If this is the case, McDermott isn't any different than many of the coaches in the NFL now; forcing a system on players regardless if their skillset doesn't align with said system.

Forcing a system?

Tyrod is on OC #3, IMO the only forcing is our QB forcing 3 OCs to scrap their system for him and even that wasnt enough for him. It is easy to blame a OC if you have the right QB but not when he is the wrong one. I am ok if McD wants to stay with what he has in coaches and just get rid of the OC killer Tyrod.

Tyrods 2 other OCs are doing very well for themselves once they left Tyrod.

Edited by xRUSHx

2 minutes ago, xRUSHx said:

Forcing a system?

Tyrod is on OC #3, IMO the only forcing is our QB forcing 3 OCs to scrap their system for him and even that wasnt enough for him. It is easy to blame a OC if you have the right QB but not when he is the wrong one. I am ok if McD wants to stay with what he has in coaches and just get rid of the OC killer Tyrod.

Tyrods 2 other OCs are doing very well for themselves once they left Tyrod.

I think this is where we differ.  Dennison has been a huge problem, and IMO, is responsible for the Carolina and Cincy losses due to his inept playcalling.  You can also look at him for the Jets loss, he insisted on running into a five man stacked front.  Then there is his blocking scheme which the OLine is still struggling with.

Tyrod and the offense had much better production last year, so why the drop off this year?  Don't get me wrong, I think it is time to move on from Tyrod, but he's not the only problem.